Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Interesting that we are so tolerant and forgiving about shoddy workmanship and poor quality, in what has come to be regarded as a high grade rifle. Even more so, that the manufacturer has the same attitude. There is no excuse for this. Matter of safety and one has to assume, given the European requirements, this thing was Proof tested. Now, where's the guy that was knocking Enfields.

Grizz
Funny thing is, I don't think have EVER seen an Enfield with a loose barrel - just a loose bore!!
The fact does remain however, that it seems like almost every manufacturer is having some sort of issues these days on occasion.
I seem to remember a Cooper or two that went back, the odd berreta, a FAIR wit a broken pin, and the odd(?) Remington!!

I don't seem to recall all these issues say, 20 years ago.
Cat
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Call my CC company and tell them to cancel the charges , the item is defective and is being returned to point of sale.
there is no way I want a defective rifle with a barrel that is about to fall off.
If you didnt pay by CC, I would be sending it back for warranty via the store I bought it from.
tight groups,
Rob
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Funny thing is, I don't think have EVER seen an Enfield with a loose barrel - just a loose bore!!
The fact does remain however, that it seems like almost every manufacturer is having some sort of issues these days on occasion.
I seem to remember a Cooper or two that went back, the odd berreta, a FAIR wit a broken pin, and the odd(?) Remington!!

I don't seem to recall all these issues say, 20 years ago.
Cat

You are right they all seem to have issues at one time or another...add Tikka oh and the russian roulette Kimber...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Interesting story. Over the years, I have seen a few rifles with loose barrels. There are a couple of aspects which I find puzzling.
First, I have trouble believing that a rifle on which the barrel was unscrewed two or three threads would even fire unless it was a CRF model, fed out of the magazine.
Second, while I think the Stoeger suggestion that the barrel be screwed in hand tight with some loc-tite on the threads is a bit stupid, I don't think it is much dumber than the statement that the barrel be closely inspected with a borescope. Check the headspace? Of course. After the barrel was tightened up, it would only make sense to check the headspace (a 30 second job). To me, the obvious answer would be to tighten the barrel, check the headspace, and testfire the rifle. I don't get where inspection with a boresope comes into it.
Rifles should not be sent out of the plant with loose barrels but occasionally, it happens. The cure is to tighten the barrel. Leeper
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I am still trying to figure out just how the firing pin was able to strike the primer hard enough to fire the rounds with the barrel two or three threads out of the receiver. What does the fired brass look like with so much headspace? Were there any case head separations, or cracks around the case? In any case, I would have a gunsmith screw the barrel back in and check the headspace.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Besides the points from the two posters above who know a heck of alot more than I,something still smells fishy here. How did the store install a scope without noticing this problem? Was it not boresighted? If the barrel was lose enough to go "clunk,clunk,clunk" would just the mere fact of picking up the gun not make the barrel move around enough to be obvious?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am still trying to figure out just how the firing pin was able to strike the primer hard enough to fire the rounds with the barrel two or three threads out of the receiver. What does the fired brass look like with so much headspace? Were there any case head separations, or cracks around the case? In any case, I would have a gunsmith screw the barrel back in and check the headspace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbeef View Post
Besides the points from the two posters above who know a heck of alot more than I,something still smells fishy here. How did the store install a scope without noticing this problem? Was it not boresighted? If the barrel was lose enough to go "clunk,clunk,clunk" would just the mere fact of picking up the gun not make the barrel move around enough to be obvious?
The rifle's box was opened and removed from the original plastic case in front of me in the store, so it was not a shelf unit. I held it in my hands, shouldered it, try the action, didn't try to twisting the barrel, but it seemed to be OK.
Once I had the factory barrel replaced on my Rem. 700 with a match grade one and I have seen how hard was it to remove the original...
The scope was bore sighted in the store. I don't think it was loose that time, obviously I would not buy it and I'm sure they won't sell known to be defective products. I said it became loose somehow, which I noticed after 30 shots at the range. I still have the cases, I didn't check them through, but I did not see any cracks. I noticed that the firing pin impressions are not equal, some looks deeper than the other, that's why I believe it became loose during shooting.
Surprisingly the barrel felt loose even with one turn out of the receiver.
Looks like I'm not the only one with the same problem, it happened with few other wsm owners.

Anyway, what's your point? That I'm bored to death and come up with a stupid story to entertain some members here?? I posted this to warn other members.
I sent the rifle back and I'm waiting for the replacement one, which hopefully will be here soon and perform perfectly, like thousands of other Sako.
From my part - case closed.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM

My point was that there appeared to be some incorrect info given. The barrel was probably not unscrewed two or three threads. In addition, the gunsmith seemed to want turn a simple threaded connection into rocket surgery. Now, I'm not surprised that this problem seems to show up primarily with WSM chambered models. The chamber wall thickness is less on the WSM's and it might cause some deformation of the threads if they are not tightly fitted. I don't particularily like the WSM cartridges and this is another reason. Leeper
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Still seems to be something off with the story for the barrel to shoot itself lose,and not be noticeable before with everything that was done to the gun.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Still seems to be something off with the story for the barrel to shoot itself lose,and not be noticeable before with everything that was done to the gun.
I have seen guns do that from new, in fact my S&W 625-8 did the very same thing after only about 6 or seven cylinders of ammo!
We didn't notice until i looked closely at the sight picture and noticed.
Sent to the S&W warranty center and it was fixed.
Cat
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was in a gun store 4 years ago, while the owner was opening new rifles. He pulled out a ruger 10/22 with a solid barrel. Man I wish I had bought it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 PM

Default It happened again!

Almost 3 years to the date it happened again with my replacement rifle. WTF?? Saturday afternoon I was hunting with a friend and at one point I held the rifle by the barrel and it felt like it turned. Checked it and sure it is loose, I could spin it out with 2 fingers. I'm so pi$$ed off.
I had about 90 rounds through before, not a problem, dead accurate. I shoot it 2 months ago with some new loads, everything was perfect. When I had a brand new rifle replaced 3 years ago with the very same problem I even checked the serial number and it was way off, so can't even be from a bad batch. It just unbelievable! Did any of you had a similar issue on a Sako 85 / Grey Wolf??
Now it's at a gun smith who will check it and contact with the Sako rep and let me know what's going on. I think I'm going to write a letter directly to Sako.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Sorry to hear your run of bad luck with loose barrels. Must be a m85 issue, plus IMHO ever since Beretta USA bought out Sako & Tikka, I think their QC QA and quality of craftsmanship has went down the tube.

As for me, no issues with any of my Sako m75 rifles....some I have had new since 1997.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
Almost 3 years to the date it happened again with my replacement rifle. WTF?? Saturday afternoon I was hunting with a friend and at one point I held the rifle by the barrel and it felt like it turned. Checked it and sure it is loose, I could spin it out with 2 fingers. I'm so pi$$ed off.
I had about 90 rounds through before, not a problem, dead accurate. I shoot it 2 months ago with some new loads, everything was perfect. When I had a brand new rifle replaced 3 years ago with the very same problem I even checked the serial number and it was way off, so can't even be from a bad batch. It just unbelievable! Did any of you had a similar issue on a Sako 85 / Grey Wolf??
Now it's at a gun smith who will check it and contact with the Sako rep and let me know what's going on. I think I'm going to write a letter directly to Sako.
Get it fixed...sell it...buy a Savage as they have a barrel nut and you will no longer have issues. Cost does not always equal quality.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Default I'm having issues too

Bought a sako A7 thought I was due for a quality gun shoots worst then a 300$ savage can't get a group at all
Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

There is obviously something seriously wrong with the with the rifles engineering that would loosen and allow the barrel to separate from the receiver because of the firing impact. Sounds to me like Sako is fully aware of the problem if they are prepared with a lock tight solution.
Sako should maybe be thinking about putting a recall on these rifles, before someone gets injured.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM

I have had no issues with mine nor come across any other postings similar to this one...weird how u would get two with the sa,e issue and I can't find any other reports similar on the net
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I have had no issues with mine nor come across any other postings similar to this one...weird how u would get two with the sa,e issue and I can't find any other reports similar on the net
And to have it happen a year later to the day is even more coincidental. That's some bad luck man.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Sounds like my luck....
Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 PM

It may only be a problem with the 300wsm because of the larger dia. cartridge and the extra metal that has to be removed from the chamber to accommodate it.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 PM

I purchased a Sako A7 in 300WSM four years ago. I have not had any issues with it.
A friend purchased one lately and picked up some Barnes ammo for it. He didn't have any problems getting it to group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300wsm a7.jpg (41.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
I purchased a Sako A7 in 300WSM four years ago. I have not had any issues with it.
A friend purchased one lately and picked up some Barnes ammo for it. He didn't have any problems getting it to group.
Musta had a Savage barrel on it. Kidding, nice group.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Well, I sent an e-mail to Stroeger about a week ago, still no answer. I had the barrel re-tightened by a gunsmith since I can't wait for a response from their worthless customer service. I'll let you all know if they get back to me. Meanwhile I'll go and re-sight my rifle.
Thank you for your responses!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM

Default sako

Send it back x10!!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM

SAKO are GARBAGE!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 PM

REALLY? I will buy every one you own....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM

I noticed at the range a couple of weeks ago, a fellow with a new Remington 7600 pump action, with a loose barrel. so I guess it happens.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Returned a sako greywolf 300 wsm this fall. Took about 3 months to get a verdict but it is being replaced. Best grouping I could get was 2.5 inches. Stoeger canada customer service told me that the 300 WSM in the Sako 85 is the caliber they see the most problems with. I am replacing it with a different caliber to be safe. Their customer service is not great in terms of returning calls and I found you need to call until you actually speak to someone. Thank god they back the warranty at the very least!

Tags
sako