Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Which .223 to get?

Hey everyone, I've been doing some searching for used .223 but haven't had much luck for my price range. This is going to be for shooting coyotes. I need advice on which of these to get? I know some think the savages are cheap but I own a 111 and have no qualms with it.

The savage axis xp package in stainless which is on sale for $380 at Cabela's + $50 mail in rebate. I would put an aftermarket trigger on it considering the great sale price.

Savage axis xp 2 which is $450 but comes with + $50 mail in rebate and + $50 Cabela's giftcard.

Not looking to spend a great deal of money so I figured now is a great time to pick one of these up. All savages have the mail in rebate so I suppose I could even step up to the 111 which would only run me $500. The other option floating around would be the Mossberg MVP with scope/bipod runs for $750 but is sorta getting a little high for what I would like to spend.

Any advice would be great, thinking I'll go to Cabela's for boxing day morning so trying to decide quickly.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM

What ever you buy make sure it has a very nice trigger. One that lets off hard or to long a pull turns you rifle into junk. If it has junky trigger the rest of the rifle is probably junk also. That's my two bits worth and I've own a lot of rifles.
Bjay
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Sounds like you've already made your mind up! If you can get past the look and feel of the axis, then go for it! I haven't heard anything bad on their accuracy potential and that's the most important part imo!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Sounds like you've already made your mind up! If you can get past the look and feel of the axis, then go for it! I haven't heard anything bad on their accuracy potential and that's the most important part imo!
I guess really the bigger question for everyone is should I go for the stainless barrel which would need the aftermarket trigger? or just get the blued axis 2 with accutrigger.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 PM

If you search the hunting forum
There's more coyotes being slain with the axis then anything else. You definitely need a good trigger on longer shots. It makes the difference between dead dog and a miss. John Krieger says it's best. Quote (best factory barrels are savage barrels). End Quote. http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5kPxE4gSY
Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 PM

If you're going with an axis get the axis 2 hands down. I bought one for my buddy in 30-06, and she's a heck of a gun for the price. Love the accu-trigger, and love how light it is.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Wholesale Sports has them on sale now until the 27th I think. I'm picking up a 22-250 but the 223's are included. I've been told as of 2 months ago they all include accutriggers now. The mail in rebate is good until end of December. WSS is being really good about it. They have none in saskatoon and are bringing it in from alta.

I'm getting the synthetic stock, regular barrel, no scope for $230 + tax
Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 PM

Really for $230 bucks how can you go wrong. I'm not a savage fan but they do shoot. Myself I would stay away from the rifle/scope combo deal. From what I have seen, the scopes are pretty low quality. Put a Nikon prostaff on it in a 4-12 and you have a pretty good coyote rig for around $500.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
Wholesale Sports has them on sale now until the 27th I think. I'm picking up a 22-250 but the 223's are included. I've been told as of 2 months ago they all include accutriggers now. The mail in rebate is good until end of December. WSS is being really good about it. They have none in saskatoon and are bringing it in from alta.

I'm getting the synthetic stock, regular barrel, no scope for $230 + tax
I bought one last week, no accutrigger. Very few in stock anwhere when we were calling around, managed wholesales last 25-06. There were lots of 22-250's but not much else. I would also look at the international hunter with the $75 rebate, it has accutrigger.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Look into a CZ. I have one . Beautiful rifle. Good trigger. Accurate right out of the box and nice and light. Used to known as a Bruno.
Bjay
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

Savage Hog Hunter

Tags
.223, 111 trophy hunter, axis xp, coyote, savage