Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Question top steele shotgun shell for best price

I am getting ready for hunt season I do a lot of duck/goose hunting. I am looking for a good shell. I was looking at the hypersonic and black cloud. The problem with them is there so expensive. If anyone knows of a reliable shell for a good price let me know.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Decoys or pass shooting?
There is a big difference , in what you need and the price!!
Over decoys my buddy uses noting but 2 3/4" Winchester Dri locs and has had super success with them. My son likes Fassteel, but he also has no problems pass shooting where the dri-locs are not quite as fast or as big (BBB as opposed to the #2's)
The new stuff can be very expensive, and unless a person is pass shooting or the birds are shying on the decoys i do not bother with it.
Cat
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM

The best ammo will always be the one you had a good day with, and hit a bunch of birds with, because you pointed the gun in the right direction to start with.
That could just as easily be a cheap round, or Hevishot. Shooting practice and a bit of patterning, to give you an idea, of the nature, of what your guns work best with, and what you are doing with the gun, may result in your thinking that the "cheap" stuff is just fine. Sometimes, you may need to use two different chokes for two different shot sizes, sometimes one will do both. Or, sometimes a tight choke will result in your missing gimme shots in close, because of pattern size being too small, and you pointed it close to the right spot, but, no prize. The more open choke may have got it for you, or not. Too big a shot size and too tight a choke can also blow patterns apart for longer shots. Some rounds don't work so well, with wadstripper chokes, IE; Black Cloud.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
The best ammo will always be the one you had a good day with, and hit a bunch of birds with, because you pointed the gun in the right direction to start with.
That could just as easily be a cheap round, or Hevishot. Shooting practice and a bit of patterning, to give you an idea, of the nature, of what your guns work best with, and what you are doing with the gun, may result in your thinking that the "cheap" stuff is just fine. Sometimes, you may need to use two different chokes for two different shot sizes, sometimes one will do both. Or, sometimes a tight choke will result in your missing gimme shots in close, because of pattern size being too small, and you pointed it close to the right spot, but, no prize. The more open choke may have got it for you, or not. Too big a shot size and too tight a choke can also blow patterns apart for longer shots. Some rounds don't work so well, with wadstripper chokes, IE; Black Cloud.
Yup, my 1100 2 3/4" shootin' buddy has had super shooting since I convinced him to open up his "dial-a-duck" from mod to IC!

That stuff works really well in his gun, and we can usually find great deals on stuff that was bough and is being sold on the internet!
It works better in my cylinder barrel than my IC however, on my Pedersoli hammer double....
Cat
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Gone Hunting

I have been just using good old Kent Fast Steel in various 2 3/4 #4's and 3 and 3 1/2 #2 and BB. Patterens well out of my A400, I use to shoot remington Nitro Steel but it was kinda high in price it runs between 1300 and 1550 dependong on shot size,, shell and load. I did pick up two boxes of the 3 1/2 Hypersonic Steel from Remington which is in at 1700 but I only ever used 6 shells and still have the rest laying around some where. I didn't feel it was worth the price and not all guns and chokes will take that 1700fps.

So for me I still use Kent Fast Steel and it's fast enough for me from 1550 2 3/4's, 1560 3"s and 1625 3 1/2's they also have a Newer Silver Steel that I have not shot has more knock down power so they say in 1480 and 1450.

Later
Phil
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM

I use an awful lot of Fassteel in my 20, but that's another story!!
I used it for a bit in my 12 last year as well, it's good ammo and works with the IC choke better than the Winchester dri-loc in my gun.
Cat
Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Have a read here:
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/shootin...g-your-pattern
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotshell_ballistics.htm

There are no absolutes
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

My SBE likes the Xpert 3-1/2" 1-3/8oz BB and #2 and the factory Mod choke. Can't tell the difference with a Carlson's Extra long range on either of them, Kick's didn't like them. The Hypersonics opened up too much after 30yds for me. Hevimetals worked well, but, don't need to spend that kind of money when the Xperts work the same.
20ga likes the IM chokes and 1oz Hevimetals #4 and Federal premium red box 1oz #3. Did a lot of scrounging to get enough of those, this year, but, I got 'em.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Default just wait until I do an inventory

I was on a steel buying spree for two or three years and suspect I have 4-5 flats of Kent and Winchester 2 3/4 and 3 inch steel. will be a clearance sale in next couple weeks as I only use 2-3 boxes a year.
Rob
Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 PM

I prefer Fasteel #3 or #4 for ducks early season, and #2 late season. For geese I usually just stick with BB, but have killed them with all sizes down to #4 (close range flyovers while duck hunting with no time to change shells).
Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM

I shoot federals (the blue box) in 3 in #2 for early season over decoys then for late season I would typically ramp it up to BB or BBB in 3 inch as well. I've got a shiny new gun this year that can handle 3.5s though so you better believe I'll be sending some of those in BB down the tube. I shoot a kicks high flyer full choke and it seems to work well for me.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM

3" Win. Xpert, 1-1/8oz, #2's, have been killing ducks and geese without complaint, for the last 4-5 seasons for me, nothing but a factory modified rem choke too.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
3" Win. Xpert, 1-1/8oz, #2's, have been killing ducks and geese without complaint, for the last 4-5 seasons for me, nothing but a factory modified rem choke too.
Me too.

-Craig

Tags
ammo, shell, shotgun