Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Default Reloading

Hi there;

I LOVE shooting my 9mm. Unfortunately, my wallet hates it! I posted a thread about getting cheap ammo and one member talked to me about reloading and the potential savings I can have. He gave me great advice and tips. I was wondering if anyone else out there could also help me out. Give me some pointers, best products to use, how to maximize my savings....things like that, I would really appreciate it! I also live in an apartment so space, noise and chemical fumes (like melting lead) are also factors I have to work around. I don't have a garage to work from...yet.

Thanks for any advice and pointers you can give. I really appreciate it
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM

I reload a few different cal's, even colt 45.
But I have not figured out the savings, likely 50 - 65% of factory load costs.
I used to think I could load for less than half the cost, but it's working out to more than half.
Not even sure reloading is allowed in an apartment.

TBark
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM

I generally load cast bullets in front of Trailboss for both my 357 mag, and my 454 Casull. Using this combination, my 357rounds cost about $17 per 100, and my 454 around $24 per 100. Using these reduced loads, brass lasts a very long time.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM

9mm is touch and go in terms of economical, particularly if you have limited time. If you're into hardcore IPSC or something you need a Dillon.

Check out TSE, they carry BDX commercial re-loads from the guys in Black Diamond, probably the lowest cost 9mm, a bit dirt but if you don't have cycling problems with them it just means a bit more cleaning.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM

I wouldn't look at reloading as merely a "cost savings" project. I look at reloading as a way to get a custom load and bullet that I know how it will shoot everytime. Even factory ammo can differ greatly as it is mass produced. Any cost savings are just a bonus imo
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

BDX 9mm ammo is approximately $25.00 for 100 rounds. Can't reload for that price according to my calculations.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Well I get my 9mm bullets for $120/1000. Primers are $40. Buying 8 lbs of powder nets me about $15 per thousand. Brass is free. That's $175/1000. Maybe it only saves 8 bucks per 100, but is fun, rewarding and I can load 150 per hour on my turret.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmnnkoqaz View Post
Well I get my 9mm bullets for $120/1000. Primers are $40. Buying 8 lbs of powder nets me about $15 per thousand. Brass is free. That's $175/1000. Maybe it only saves 8 bucks per 100, but is fun, rewarding and I can load 150 per hour on my turret.
Projectile cost is the killer with 9mm, I get pre lubed cast lead bullets for around $60-$75 per thousand, it makes a difference in the long term overall cost and if you soften up your loading mentality you will find that a 125gr lead bullet doing 700-800fps makes the same size hole as a copper washed bullet doing 900ish that costs allmost twice as much.

How light can you load 9mm? Untill it won't cycle your action or when the bullets bounce off the paper
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM

So even at $0.25 per round bought from BDX (which is what I buy), I can still reload cheaper than that, or am I mistaken? For those wondering, I eventually wouldn't mind getting into a league or competitive shooting...I just want to practice more before I do that, so I want the cheapest method of doing so.

So I was doing math and I think that after ordering and everything, I can press rounds at about $0.17-$0.20 per round...if I buy brass. If I recycle my brass, I'll save about $0.04 per round, so down to about $0.15 per round compared to almost double that from BDX. I think I did my math right...but maybe I'm still off...I'm just a noob
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Default Don't wait

You don't need to be 'good' or well practiced to show up and introduce yourself to a handgun league.

IDPA, IPSC or Cowboy Action folk usually welcome responsible new shooters.
IPSC will ask you to take their 2-day Black Badge course before you can shoot a sanctioned match - it's great training and well worth the $.

Bonus, most of these guys combine their buying power to get real good deals on reloading components.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmnnkoqaz View Post

If it only costs you $175 for 1000 that's WAY cheaper than BDX. They charge about $300 (including tax) for 1200 rounds.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Its gonna take some time to recoup the costs of reloading equipment, but if you're shooting a 1000 rounds a month, it doesn't take long to pay off a progressive press. Maybe a Lee Pro 1000 would be a good investment if you're only doing one calibre. Its by far the cheapest progressive. I like my lee classisc cast turret for now as I also reload .38, .357 and .223 on it and I can also use it as a single stage for my other rifle ammo.

A note as well: thats $120 for plated ammo, I'm hoping to cast in the next little while and I figure that even paying scrap price for lead that I should be able to get under $0.07 per bullet (probably less)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 PM

I'm looking at a Dillon press. I'm shooting lots now but I'm sure it will taper off. But as I get into more aspects of shooting I'm sure I'll have periods where I can't seem to have enough ammo. I'm sure after one or two years the press will pay for itself and I guess it's not like I throw it away after that time and get a new one. This is something that will last for quite a few years. And I guess the sooner I buy one, the sooner I recoup ammo costs lol....any excuse to buy one The Dillon also has different dies I can buy so I can reload other calibers as I was also looking at a .45 pistol eventually.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 AM

I've been contemplating the same economics on reloading the 9mm. For me, reloading is something I want to do. I also expect to acquire a .357, a .44, an at least two .45's within the next year, and then reloading will definately be worthwhile. So I'm looking at the fixed cost of the press (most likely a Dillon 650 with case feeder) as being ammortized over 4 calibres. The only seperate cost per calibre is the dies (and possibly turret plate), bullets and brass.

If I was only shooting 9mm, I would really question the potential savings of reloading. But if you add a few other calibres into the mix, I would definately go for it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDITION View Post
So even at $0.25 per round bought from BDX (which is what I buy), I can still reload cheaper than that, or am I mistaken? For those wondering, I eventually wouldn't mind getting into a league or competitive shooting...I just want to practice more before I do that, so I want the cheapest method of doing so.

So I was doing math and I think that after ordering and everything, I can press rounds at about $0.17-$0.20 per round...if I buy brass. If I recycle my brass, I'll save about $0.04 per round, so down to about $0.15 per round compared to almost double that from BDX. I think I did my math right...but maybe I'm still off...I'm just a noob
Nope, you could be right and I could be wrong. I based component prices, brass and jacketed bullets out of the WSS catalogue. Wasn't considering using lead bullets and fired brass.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM

It's well worth my while to load pistol ammo.There have been many good points made here on costs vs el cheapo factory reloads (every bit as good or better than your own quality wise) and tooling up and bulk buying components.I would add that two other important factors are one's time and effort.I among many who find the time and throw in the effort can shoot more rounds per $ spent.You will probably spend just as much $ on ammo/equipment as you did in your pre reloading days though.

The value really comes in as you belly up to the bench qt the range and open your coffee can full of ammo and you are still plinkin long after your buddies ripped through their 2- 3 boxes and $50-$60 are gone.

Last edited by Gonehuntin'; 02-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Do some Google searching and you'll find a lot of debate online about the economics of reloading 9mm. You really have to sit down and do a cost/benefit analysis. Price out the components and don't forget to factor in shipping charges if you are buying supplies online. Be honest and precise in your calculations (I find people tend to estimate light). There is no doubt that savings can be significant when dealing with larger caliber rifle ammo, but they are much less for 9mm.

Don't forget to consider the cost of the equipment. If reloading is saving 0.05/round, you'll need to reload 10,000 rounds to pay off $500 in gear. That is your break-even point!

Also consider the value of your time and how long it will take. If you enjoy reloading as a hobby, then great, cost doesn't matter. If it feels like a chore after several thousand rounds, then you'll probably go back to buying factory ammo and be no further ahead.

In summary, do your homework, estimate your costs, and make sure you do it because you enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Another question I guess I should ask is; what is the lifespan of a press? I didn't expect to save $2000 worth of ammo in one year. I figured by the end of year one, I would have saved enough to pay for the press. By the end of year two, I would have saved enough to pay for the ammo. By year three, I should be seeing the savings add up, especially if I am shooting other calibers by then. gain, I am new to this so maybe my perception is wrong. I was looking at the short and long term benefits. But if a press only lasts 3-5 years, well then, it's time to go back to the drawing board!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Default enjoyable?

I'm finding hard to imagine an enjoyment factor for cranking out a few hundred rounds of handgun ammo every evening to feed your shooting enjoyment. Its work IMO when you have to home manufacture 5000 rounds a month or what ever the number may be. If you can afford a Dillon type of machine it would make it seem like less work.
I load lots of rifle calibers 1 at a time, and I try and stay well ahead of my needs when gopher season starts. FS
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDITION View Post
Another question I guess I should ask is; what is the lifespan of a press? I didn't expect to save $2000 worth of ammo in one year. I figured by the end of year one, I would have saved enough to pay for the press. By the end of year two, I would have saved enough to pay for the ammo. By year three, I should be seeing the savings add up, especially if I am shooting other calibers by then. gain, I am new to this so maybe my perception is wrong. I was looking at the short and long term benefits. But if a press only lasts 3-5 years, well then, it's time to go back to the drawing board!
Dillon is guarantied for life, you break it they ship a replacement part PERIOD.

Life span on a typical Dillon is many many many.... many thousands of rounds.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I'm finding hard to imagine an enjoyment factor for cranking out a few hundred rounds of handgun ammo every evening to feed your shooting enjoyment. Its work IMO when you have to home manufacture 5000 rounds a month or what ever the number may be. If you can afford a Dillon type of machine it would make it seem like less work.
I load lots of rifle calibers 1 at a time, and I try and stay well ahead of my needs when gopher season starts. FS
With 8 extra primer tubes full to start with and all my components at the ready I can reload 900rnds of 9mm in give or take 75min (personal best).. Rifle calibers take a bit longer because your being more cautious.... If your reloading 5000rnds a month for just one caliber then chances are you won't keep up that pace for very long unless your bloody rich.

I own a Dillon so I can spend my time reloading getting the most out of my investment and not tinkering with little plastic bits and pieces... Once a Dillon is setup it just chugs along be it 9mm, 10mm/.40, .223, .308 or any other caliber you shoot in volume... Reloading .223 I save over $8 a box, 10mm I save closer to $20 per box, .308 I can reload for around .50c a pop... And I can load up a years supply of my rifle ammo in a weekend.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Dillon is worth the cash.I use a Square Deal B.Less costly than the 650, fully progressive, but only loads pistol cartridges and caliber conversions (uses proprietary dies) are around $80-$100 per caliber.I think it does come with one conversion of your choice on new units.Warranty on Dillon is superb.

Truth be told though, were I to start over buying equipment from scratch, I'd just cry once and by the 550 or 650.Great for all centerfire metallic cartridges aside from .50 bmg and larger.And uses regular dies.But still requires caliber conversions for different cartridges.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM

There is no way I'd be going 5000 rounds a month. It would be more like 5000 year, more or less...probably more once I start reloading If the press is guaranteed for life and I plan on shooting 9mm, .40, and .45, it would be a great investment. Also, I have a friend who might sell me his .357 mag so that would be good to reload. I am absolutely going for the Dillon, and I don't mind doing the work either. It seems kind of intriguing. Especially when I start reloading other calibers as well.

Like I was saying, I'm not going to see financial returns immediately, but in the long run, like Gonehuntin said, my friends will drop $50 for 200 rounds, where as I can get over 300 for the same price. Slowly it'll pay for itself, especially if my friends want to start using it...free beer!

I think for my application, the Dillon 550B would do great.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Default choices

Well there can be no doubt that having a dillon will ease some of the work load. Next question are you good with your hands as in Mech. inclined? Some of these progressive reloading machines require some tweeking from time to time, I know I am not vg at tweeking and therefore gave up my progressive shotshell presses.
Good luck with your dillon I hope you enjoy using it. FS
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I think for my application, the Dillon 550B would do great.
Actually yes it probably would be better then a 650 especially for a nooB...

The 550 is a manually indexing progressive and the 650 is auto indexing, with the 650 every time you pull the handle it advances to the next station by itself, when that happens there is a lot going on all at once... The case feeder stuffs another shell into the shell plate, the powder thrower resets, the primer wheel loads another primer, you place a bullet on a charged case, it ejects a live round into the bin and that's not even going into what your dies are setup for... It sounds complex and really it is BUT it's pretty fool proof once you know how to set it all up...

With the 550 you put a piece of brass into the shell plate on one side and place a bullet onto a charged case on the other, pull the handle and give the shell plate a turn then put another piece of brass in, place a bullet etc etc etc.... Benefit of the 550 is its simple to use, and you control the advance... Really handy with rifle rounds if you want to weigh every charge by hand... Not as fast as the 650 but very reliable and user friendly... Also caliber conversions are cheaper.

Should mention that the 550 doesn't use an automatic case feeder like the 650... They have a retrofit kit for the 550 but its prone to miss-feeds and not really worth the headache... Even with the 650 the case feeder is sold separately and costs around $400 ontop of the price of the press $650...

Tags
reloading