Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Default Lake Mcgregor

Hey guys! Thinking of heading down to the lake during the weekends for some white fishing, anyone know what's the situation down there? Heard there were 2 major fishing operations which took out around 90% of the white fish stock... but still, anyone know what's the white fish condition down at McGregor?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM

Don't know for sure what the situation with the population of whitefish (specifically), or the ease of getting them to show interest. However, the water in the off-shoot (from the canal) is very muddy today, the muddy water continues almost past the boat launch (accessible from the road running alongside the dam). We were out there on the shore for almost 2 hours, mostly picking up litter and having no bite.

It might be a different story if you are launching a boat for active "search-and-destroy" using fish finders.

Little Bow Provincial Park on Travers Reservoir was doing quite well today with lots of little pikes and walleyes entertaining us with their colossal appetites. Check regs and note the cordoned floats marking the closed-off section of the west arm.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...88#post1427488
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchforThis View Post
Hey guys! Thinking of heading down to the lake during the weekends for some white fishing, anyone know what's the situation down there? Heard there were 2 major fishing operations which took out around 90% of the white fish stock... but still, anyone know what's the white fish condition down at McGregor?
What operations are you talking about? %90!!!!???? thats Genocide!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM

I can't see there being any possible way that they could net 90% of the whites in that lake.

There is a quota limit as far as I know.

The water might be murky if the levels are being raised pretty fast but other then that there is still going to be fish that want to eat. It just might not be as fast and furious as you are use to.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I can't see there being any possible way that they could net 90% of the whites in that lake.

There is a quota limit as far as I know.

The water might be murky if the levels are being raised pretty fast but other then that there is still going to be fish that want to eat. It just might not be as fast and furious as you are use to.
water is rising very slow because McGregor is still filling travers and will be till Beginning of june as per Bow river irrig dist.

water is murky because of extreem high winds on saturday from the north right down the pipe.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM

water is murky from all the rain upstream, its all the way down here, I fished the junction of the Bow and Oldman last night and there was a huge difference in clarity. the Oldman was a lot clearer

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM

oh, ya, misunderstood. He was up at the north dam. thought he was at the causeway. Its murky there because of the wind.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Default Wow, wow, wow.

I Might be heading down to Mcgregor lake, this is extremely applicable to my interests.

What is the general fish population like? I'm going to be either spoon fishing it or just using a simple pickerel rig with some Fake Rubber worms.

Would I have any luck? I'm genuinely curious about any sort of advice I can get about the lake.
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

So I don't forget my fishing jurisdiction.

Tags
fishing operation, mcgregor, stock, weekend, white fish