Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Smile Keeper perch for kids near edmonton

im bringing the kids out next weekend. my 3 yr old daughter(almost 4), and my 2 nephews 3 and 4 yrs old. wanna stay fairly close to edmonton (an hour or so). pm me if your willing to share for some youngsters. thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM

id really like them to try some perch. any info would be awesome!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 PM

pm sent

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM

I would suggest Nakamun lake.By far the best lake to take kids too.Lots of perch.Use any small hook with maggots.About 15 mins north of onoway on 777.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

i know of nakumun and was thinking of going there but i wont keep a perch less than 8" and i want the kids to be able to keep a couple to eat. is there anything bigger then 8" in nakumun or other good lakes we could get some from.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisherguy View Post
i know of nakumun and was thinking of going there but i wont keep a perch less than 8" and i want the kids to be able to keep a couple to eat. is there anything bigger then 8" in nakumun or other good lakes we could get some from.
I would go anyway, kids usually couldn't care less about eating fish. Its all about the catching at that age.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM

true but i know they would feel even better knowing they caught there own food. i will yry nakumun tho. seems to be our best bet. thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM

whats a good depth to fish in?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 PM

Got a picture from Horsetrader today at Namamun. 11" before pinching the tail
Old 01-02-2012, 12:07 AM

My "kid" is now 18. Believe me, at age 3 and 4, catching their own dinner means next to nothing to them. Catching a fish, any size, is where the thrill is at. A 4" perch will mean more to them than the biggest fish you've ever caught means to you Have fun!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM

i know but maybe eating some is for me more then them. what can i say i want them to taste some of my favorite fish. and i remeber catchin as a kid and i felt better keeping them. it was like winning a trophy to take home. but they probably wont feel that way for a couple years. were probably gonna go to nakumun. is it driveable ice there?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Yeah I wanna take my "nephew" out to catch some big keeper fish too
He would be disappointed with anything less than 10 inches so please only tell me about your favorite lake with jumbos.....For his sake
Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yeah I wanna take my "nephew" out to catch some big keeper fish too
He would be disappointed with anything less than 10 inches so please only tell me about your favorite lake with jumbos.....For his sake
Thinking the exact same thing!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM

ok bud. im sure nakumun is a honey hole. i got my honey holes but there about 2 hours away and im not taking the kids that far for 1 day fishin. sorry if every time someone asks for help on this site it seems to offend ppl like "oh im not giving up my honey hole". obviously no one is gonna give there honey hole away. give your head a shake. this is the only time ive asked for a tip on here and you make it like im a liar trying to get info for myself. thanks to the ppl that did help me and didnt make a stupid sarcastic comment.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
ok bud. Im sure nakumun is a honey hole. I got my honey holes but there about 2 hours away and im not taking the kids that far for 1 day fishin. Sorry if every time someone asks for help on this site it seems to offend ppl like "oh im not giving up my honey hole". Obviously no one is gonna give there honey hole away. Give your head a shake. This is the only time ive asked for a tip on here and you make it like im a liar trying to get info for myself. Thanks to the ppl that did help me and didnt make a stupid sarcastic comment.
lol
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
ok bud. im sure nakumun is a honey hole. i got my honey holes but there about 2 hours away and im not taking the kids that far for 1 day fishin. sorry if every time someone asks for help on this site it seems to offend ppl like "oh im not giving up my honey hole". obviously no one is gonna give there honey hole away. give your head a shake. this is the only time ive asked for a tip on here and you make it like im a liar trying to get info for myself. thanks to the ppl that did help me and didnt make a stupid sarcastic comment.

stop into the fishing hole and talk with the guys. they may be of some help to you. with only a handful of posts on here, you will soon learn you may need to have a little thicker skin. the boys are all right, just having a little fun. good luck out there, i hope you tie into some with the kids.

Dace
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 AM

Don't get me wrong I also cruise this forum for tips and locations! It was instrumental in discovering the lakes and rivers in alberta when i first moved back. But a guy has to relax, the very nature of fishing has a degree of secrecy to it. I grew up in a place with easily 100000 lakes within a 5 hour drive and people were still very protective of their "honey holes." Even my uncles who taught me to fish would tell me the wrong names of lakes so I wouldn't spill the location to the other kids at school. I was reduced to memorizing land marks and studying maps to figure out where we actually went! For myself having a honey hole is the fun part of it, so get pushed in the right direction, tie your boots up and head out and explore!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Wow a member for 4 days, 9 posts and looking for honey holes.

Your best bet would be Nakamun, you can try Cross lake, mons lake, long lake, N Buck, Lake isle, too many to list. Its all in the luck of finding them and when there biteing. Sometimes you just got to keep the smaller ones too if you want a meal. I wish all my perch were over 8"

Look in the fishing regs first and see which lakes have perch, then search on here and other places to find where they are biteing, go to differant lakes and try them out and ask others on the ice, they may give you a few tips, that is about all you can do.

Last edited by Kim473; 01-03-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Wow a member for 4 days, 9 posts and looking for honey holes.
9 posts is right. but you read the year wrong.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM

try OBED right across from boat launch...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Come on

If the guy is looking for somewhere to take his kids fishing help him out. If u
You think he is "fishing" (that's punny) for honey holes and you don't want to help him out say nothing or tell him where he can find lots of fish but not the size he is looking for like the first several posts. No point destroying the point of the thread.

Morb
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
If the guy is looking for somewhere to take his kids fishing help him out. If u
You think he is "fishing" (that's punny) for honey holes and you don't want to help him out say nothing or tell him where he can find lots of fish but not the size he is looking for like the first several posts. No point destroying the point of the thread.

Morb
Your right morb I was just poking some fun at the fact that he turned he nose up at some great suggestions because the fish werent over 8 inches. Sounded like he was more stuck on having a good day catching slabs than having the kids catch fish.
For the record I really do have a 4 year old nephew and I will be taking him to one of the suggested lakes that have many fish as a day of catching non stop is more enjoyable to the littles ones than size.

To the original poster I am sure if you spent the day at St anne, nakamun, mornville your kids will have a blast and you will pull out a few over 10 inches.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 PM

ok sorry if i was a bit up ****ed off but i asked for some help not comments. i guess i should expect it but were gonna goto nakumun or mons. thanks again for the help to everyone who helped.

Tags
fish, fun, help me, kids, perch