Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Bullies in the Oldman

Hey guys,

I have been to the oldman numerous times and have had lot of success catching cutties and rainbows. However, every time I try for bullies I get skunked. My questions to you more experienced folks are: Where are some good pools containing bullies that many people say are awesome to fight? I have heard articulated streamers are usually good, how large and what color work the best?

Cheers guys!
Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Have you considered that it is presently bull trout spawning season and perhaps they should be left alone while they are laying eggs?
The fish will have migrated to spawning ground areas and left their usual spots along the river.
Good stewardship of the resource will ensure more bull trout for the future
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reply @goldscud. You have a good point for sure and I completely agree with you.

However, I am thinking of collecting some info and tactics for next season.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:39 AM

Bullies of a decent size eat other fish. Match the hatch.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:08 PM

Spawning probably mostly done but if u stick to the main stem you wouldnt be targeting spawners anyhow i think they spawn everyotheryear so theres always fish not spawning try below any rapids where smaller fish become disoriented the bulls will lie in abmush spots ready to pounce, waterfalls and plunge pools are great habitat. Dont be afraid to use alot of splitshot to get down fast start with the biggest streamer you have and size down if you not having any luck. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:24 PM

As big as you can cast. White and flashy, like their food. Deep, real deep, the ones that live to get big learn to avoid the surface. This is probably the number one reason you aren’t getting bulls, it takes a lot to get down there in fast deep water and it sucks to cast that much weight.

SHARP hooks, as in sharpen them throughout the day...they clamp down and often let go as you set the hook.

My “downsize” is used when I think they might be hook shy, because they never really key in on anything but fish. muddler minnow with lots of weight on a 15-20ft fluoro leader dragged through the bottom of a deep pool...but this pushes the limit of what you can really call fly fishing, more like jig fishing. Fun though, they do seem to really hate that pattern and strike hard.

Big heavy stonefly/salmon fly imitations sometimes work as well. I’ve thought of drifting an egg clump pattern, imitating whitefish eggs...never gotten around to it.