Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Best place for huge pike.

The lake trout thread got me thinking, I'm getting pretty close to paying off my mortgage, which will also be close to my 40th birthday and I'm thinking I should maybe treat myself to a fly in trip to celebrate. All I really want to chase is big pike, any recommendations as to where I should go? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Lake of the Woods, Tobin Lake/Reservoir Sask, Reindeer Lake Sask, Kasba Lake NWT, Great Slave, all depends on how much you want to spend on treating yourself and what kind of experience you are looking to have of course. But all of these have bigguns. Reindeer, Wolliston and Cree, all those up in that area of north eastern Sask Manitoba border area are probably closest to a sure thing of catching a trophy or master angler class fish but there are many many places to consider other than these as well and I’m sure the forum has a ton of suggestions for you, good luck and post your pics!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Lake of the Woods, Tobin Lake/Reservoir Sask, Reindeer Lake Sask, Kasba Lake NWT, Great Slave, all depends on how much you want to spend on treating yourself and what kind of experience you are looking to have of course. But all of these have bigguns. Reindeer, Wolliston and Cree, all those up in that area of north eastern Sask Manitoba border area are probably closest to a sure thing of catching a trophy or master angler class fish but there are many many places to consider other than these as well and I’m sure the forum has a ton of suggestions for you, good luck and post your pics!
Well, given the occasion I am ok with spending some money, but of course price is always a factor. I think I'm leaning more towards an outpost camp type deal more than a fancy lodge, as long as I've got a dry place to crash and something to eat I'm happy so long as the pike are big.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Banned

maybe google brabant lodge. it's west of hay river, nt in the mouth of the mckenzie. higher end, but you can catch grayling, walleye, and some monster pike.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Cree lake.
Europe if you really wanna go fanatic.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 AM

I was at knee lake Manitoba and there' s some very nice pikes in that pond,lots lakes mentioned above were and are fished very hard so there's big pikes ,but your limited to size and pressure.

Knee Lake in Manitoba ,it's full to the top with large pike.If you want to gamble you go to vegas,you want large laker's you go great bear and if you want big pike go to knee lake.

If you want 50 inch plus pike there in knee lake,i know because I released 4 that size in one day,no cuff.I seen lakes with lotsa 40 to 45 inch pike ,but it's very good up there.

Some guys spend 50k on a boat and waste there time year after year,go where the fish are and enjoy a week you will remember for life .
Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 AM

Manitoba, Germany, France or Poland produce some big pike.

http://www.luckylures.nl/esox_lucius_record.php
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-20-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Geez, some of those fish would give cause to think about swimming in the lakes they are from.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM

Wabasca South
Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 AM

CREE LAKE .N SASK ,NWT ,lots of great pike lakes ,lots of camps find what kind of fishing and camp you want ,and then start the calling ,
Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I kinda like a road trip up to besnard lake, camp, fish and oh yeah there are some huge pike there.....a heck of a lot cheaper too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned

Enoda aka trout rock lodge north arm of great slave, was a guide there. 50 in pike no problem seen 1 in the back Bay with eyeballs bigger than golf balls. Over 6ft.

And innconu are big and plentiful

Not cheap by any means but we would keep 38"s for lunch

If you search back to some of my fishing posts there still might be pictures
Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Sweden

Dodger
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM

Talston River and Lac la Martre. Giants there
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM

pm sent
Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 AM

If we're talking within North America: https://kesagami.com/

If you're willing to travel anywhere, I would say Scandinavia and Germany, Netherlands, Latvia, etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Namur
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Vegreville pond. Huge pike!!!! Haha jk
Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Yes, Sweden is super high on my list of places I someday hope to fish. Unfortunately I cant see myself having the time to do a proper fishing trip in Europe any time soon. Thinking more along the lines of Sask/ NWT/ Manitoba. Also not opposed to the boat-in camp idea that was brought up, I'm well equipped to do it with plenty of backcountry experience and I like the idea of being able to do it alone or with a smaller group. Getting together a group of people to do a fly in trip for a half reasonable rate is going to be about the biggest problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Sweden

Dodger
Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 PM

While you are planning a proper pike fishing place & trip go to the North Saskatchewan river and practice. I firmly believe there are a big pike that are often overlooked. I have caught several pike between 10 and 20 lbs. with the biggest being 28 lbs.. Those big river pike don't really hang out in back eddies but are more likely to hold behind an obstacle in more of a current. And they are sucking in up to a few pound fish for a meal. They aren't interested in a little 3 inch spoon. Fish accordingly.

I've also seen a 25 lb pike caught right below dickson dam on the Red Deer river too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 PM

Lake Newell produces a lot of big pike in the winter. Not sure how it does in the summer. I’ve never fished it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 PM

Shadd lake cabins. North of laronge Saskatchewan. Awesome fishing, great people, great food and out in nowhere land! Last time
Out our group caught several 40” plus fish!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Lake Newell produces a lot of big pike in the winter. Not sure how it does in the summer. I’ve never fished it.
caught a 42.5 inch pike 2 weeks ago at newell great for big pike and walleye.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM

Default Big pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Geez, some of those fish would give cause to think about swimming in the lakes they are from.
At the fishing and hunting camp I work at in Ont--On more than one occasion,large walleye have been taken by big pike very close to the net----If they wanted too,they could do some serious damage to a swimmer--never heard of that happening--only to a careless angler.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:21 AM

Default Sweden or Russia.

Make it an adventure think big.
https://youtu.be/vL2ZHroIG-4
https://youtu.be/EXwVQ_CZq0o
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
While you are planning a proper pike fishing place & trip go to the North Saskatchewan river and practice. I firmly believe there are a big pike that are often overlooked. I have caught several pike between 10 and 20 lbs. with the biggest being 28 lbs.. Those big river pike don't really hang out in back eddies but are more likely to hold behind an obstacle in more of a current. And they are sucking in up to a few pound fish for a meal. They aren't interested in a little 3 inch spoon. Fish accordingly.

I've also seen a 25 lb pike caught right below dickson dam on the Red Deer river too.
I live in Widewater, so I don't get out to either of those rivers very much, but I do get to practice quite a bit. Most years I manage to get a couple fish in the 10-15lb range, once in a while something bigger.

I agree with you on the river pike getting overlooked, and as a bonus I firmly believe that river pike, per pound, are noticeably stronger fighters. The problem with river fishing in my experience, is that pike often seem to be about the least plentiful species in the river, and they are rarely evenly dispersed throughout the system. I have holes where I regularly catch pike, and other holes which are almost identical in nature that have never given me even one pike. More frustrating still is the fact that most of my best pike holes are at a confluence which makes them pretty well known. The more subtle spots that less people have the patience to find rarely seem to hold good sized pike in the rivers that I haunt.

In short, while the rewards are for sure there, I do sometimes get frustrated when I spend a day catching 10 walleye to every pike, even when slinging baits in the 5-8" range.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-21-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Jebus!

Those are some well fed monsters
Old 06-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I was at knee lake Manitoba and there' s some very nice pikes in that pond,lots lakes mentioned above were and are fished very hard so there's big pikes ,but your limited to size and pressure.

Knee Lake in Manitoba ,it's full to the top with large pike.If you want to gamble you go to vegas,you want large laker's you go great bear and if you want big pike go to knee lake.

If you want 50 inch plus pike there in knee lake,i know because I released 4 that size in one day,no cuff.I seen lakes with lotsa 40 to 45 inch pike ,but it's very good up there.

Some guys spend 50k on a boat and waste there time year after year,go where the fish are and enjoy a week you will remember for life .

Lol. I have guided for North Star and North Haven. Knee and Utik Lake. Knee is far from lots of trophy fish. Nothing even remotely close to 50" has been caught in years. Utik, on the other hand, has had some big fish as well as Utik's outpost lake known as bear lake is quite good.

Cree lake is likely the most reliable for big fish.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Wow those are monsters
Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Loving this thread, very interesting discussion