Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I drive a Lexus now because I got tired of the cost of running German cars, even doing the work myself. I bought my last Lexus with 46,000 Klms on it, spotless BC car with every option available, 3 years old. The original bill of sale was still in the owners manual, original price new was 93,000, I paid 32,000 all in used. About the same price as the Beetle new but a long ways from Beetle performance. It has a 4.3 litre V8 that gets 32 mpg on the highway, 27 in town and 0 to 100 KPH in 5 seconds. Take a look at a newer used GS350 (V6), they come in AWD, four doors and lots of go for not much more than the Beetle.
Would love to and even found some 2017 rx350 but she is hooked on bugs.
Not me.......frown
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Would love to and even found some 2017 rx350 but she is hooked on bugs.
Not me.......frown
Fair enough. Realistically, owning vehicles is as much about the fun of driving them and enjoying them as it is about the money. Never made sense to own a Ferrari, Porsche or E type Jag but I did anyhow. My wife is still driving a 1992 Forerunner that was bought new by my brother and she got it from him with about 20,000 klms on it. She loves the thing and I have never been able to talk her into anything else. Still looks and runs like new, never done anything besides scheduled maintenance to it mechanically, still has real low miles, but it did have extensive panel replacement 8 years ago because like all Toyotas of that era, even kept indoors and washed often have rust issues. Could have got a much newer vehicle by spending the body work money and what the vehicle was worht used but it wasn't what she wanted.

If the Bug is what your wife truly loves for a car, the rest will work itself out. You only go round once, might as well have fun doing it.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Realistically, owning vehicles is as much about the fun of driving them and enjoying them as it is about the money. Never made sense to own a Ferrari, Porsche or E type Jag but I did anyhow. My wife is still driving a 1992 Forerunner that was bought new by my brother and she got it from him with about 20,000 klms on it. She loves the thing and I have never been able to talk her into anything else. Still looks and runs like new, never done anything besides scheduled maintenance to it mechanically, still has real low miles, but it did have extensive panel replacement 8 years ago because like all Toyotas of that era, even kept indoors and washed often have rust issues. Could have got a much newer vehicle by spending the body work money and what the vehicle was worht used but it wasn't what she wanted.

If the Bug is what your wife truly loves for a car, the rest will work itself out. You only go round once, might as well have fun doing it.
Humble brag award goes to Dean2
Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 AM

I would rent her a Bug for a few weeks to make sure it really is what she wants.
Punch Buggy No Punch Backs
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Make sure it has engine oil block heater.
My wife’s Jetta doesn’t have one
On mine the option for the block heater also included fog lights. Already knew I needed a block heater on this tiny motor, the fog lights were a bonus. It's got one of those new-fangled ones with a proprietary plug in the bumper though. Pretty sure if I drive away I'm gonna leave my whole bumper behind.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I would rent her a Bug for a few weeks to make sure it really is what she wants.
Punch Buggy No Punch Backs
The dealer gave the girlfriend a Touareg to take home for the weekend, we did a lap of the Henday to get a feel for it and she said nope we're taking it back today.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah it seems she is set on it so you know how this turns out. I can't say much as I bought 4 trucks in the past 15 years with the last one a Platinum 350 as we tow a toyhauler all over. Headed to California next week.
She reminded me that 4 bugs equal the truck and trailer. I replied........nice math and then she said oh yeah...... 6 bugs!!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah it seems she is set on it so you know how this turns out. I can't say much as I bought 4 trucks in the past 15 years with the last one a Platinum 350 as we tow a toyhauler all over. Headed to California next week.
She reminded me that 4 bugs equal the truck and trailer. I replied........nice math and then she said oh yeah...... 6 bugs!!!!
Yep, with those comparisons your done. Post some pics of the new bug when you get it.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:01 PM

will do

rather post trout pics from the crow a week ago!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 PM

which model of beetle?

they are not making them for Canada next year so dealers are holding firm to prices a bit. 1500 off tops

the beetle prices don’t depreciate as much as some small cars in 3 to 6 years,

looked at the dune edition in go,d. kind of peppy for acceleration

what questions does she seem to have now
Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
which model of beetle?

they are not making them for Canada next year so dealers are holding firm to prices a bit. 1500 off tops

the beetle prices don’t depreciate as much as some small cars in 3 to 6 years,

looked at the dune edition in go,d. kind of peppy for acceleration

what questions does she seem to have now
My question was more on negotiation of a discontinued foreign vehicle as I had only bought domestic here of late.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
My question was more on negotiation of a discontinued foreign vehicle as I had only bought domestic here of late.
Just find the invoice pricing and work from there.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maintenance and repair costs on ANY German made vehicle, Volks, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche are all completely wacky. I did all my own work on a 911 so it wasn't too bad but to have it dealer maintained doing 30,000 kilometers per year is just nuts. Figure at dealer prices, 6 oil changes, 5K interval, at 400 a pop, one set of plugs every 30K, $700, 1 set of brakes every 20-30K $3,000-$4000 depending on rotor wear etc, one set of tires every 10K $3,000 per set, major service every 20K $2,000 and that is not track running the car.
They hold this over to the more everyday driver cars too, the 20k service spec on my wife's Macan included a full brake fluid replacement! I mean really? I didn't even bother looking at it, she's not burning brake fluid on the 5km to work. Dealer wanted 2k to do my rear brakes, I did them with Brembo Premium Ceramics for $400 even after I had to buy a T60 bit that could take 120ft/lbs and a triple square set I'll never use for anything else.

We had A Jetta before this too and I don't know how many times I've said "No more damn VWs!" when I'm buying another exotic uni tasker tool. But then I see pictures of the new Cayman GT and I'm all giggly and happy again.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Figure at dealer prices, 6 oil changes, 5K interval, at 400 a pop, one set of plugs every 30K, $700, 1 set of brakes every 20-30K $3,000-$4000 depending on rotor wear etc, one set of tires every 10K $3,000 per set, major service every 20K $2,000 and that is not track running the car.

.........anybody that fails to factor those costs into the overall ownership costs is going to get a really nasty surprise.

Waaaaayyyy back in my much younger years, in the mid-60s, my mom and dad were considering a Beetle as a second car.

When you compare wages and prices between then and now, the costs you mention were just as horrendous back then.
No nasty surprises for them because the ol' man checked into that stuff first. Good idea.

They bought a Chevy ll instead. Basic 4-door sedan, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree, no power nothing. Same as a Bug except for the shifter, and a lot cheaper to maintain.

BTW, I heard Kia is pretty bad with some things too, but I don't know.

Last edited by stuckincity; 06-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Me, my brother and nephew went from Calgary to Salt Lake City in a 2018 VW Jetta. Most uncomfortable car I ever rode in. Do it again in a 1979 Ford LTD over that VW. We all had sore backs.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com