Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 10:33 AM

Default Any one try hammer bullets yet?

Has anyone tried hammer bullets yet? If so how well did they work compared to more conventional hunting bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2024, 09:46 AM

I bought and loaded a bunch. Accuracy was fully achieved with a crimp, on my 6.5 PRC anyways. Didn't have a chrony then so can't comment on speed, but they were decent accurate.

After starting to read a bunch of stories on their non performance, and I know they are just stories, I ended up dropping them and selling what I had left.

I was loading with the 156 bergers at the same time, and decided to stay with the heavier bullet.

Georges Shooting shack was the better pricing on them back then anyways.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:28 PM

Been shooting them for a few months in 6mm creedmoor. 87gr absolute hammer. Good speed and accuracy and they’ve been quite effective on coyotes.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:32 PM

I have a few boxes of different calibers and weights but haven’t had a chance to try them yet
Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 PM

I said it once before on a thread on hammer bullets. “If they don’t make the Sledge Hammer bullet I’m out “ !
Old 03-27-2024, 07:48 PM

I tried some 132 HHTs in my 7-08s. All three rifles showed some bright spots, but nothing to live up to the hype they receive. Oh, I suppose I could order another box or two, and keep at it, and hopefully come up with a winner. But, at $75 bucks a
box, I'll stick with the tried and true TTSXs.
Also, the poly/plastic tips are soft and easily deformed just working them in and out of the mag.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 PM

Funny I should see this today. I have been thinking about giving them a go. Called down to see if they could ship to Canada and yup sure can. Went to the website and started clicking to order a box ...... 31 grain 20 caliber box of 100 - $75 + shipping. Shipping would have been $50 and change (not the "fast" option either) and that's all U.S. dollars plus then gst and whatever else border services adds on. $128.16 U.S. total or in the realm of $176 CA, for 100 bullets! Little ones too. I guess my only option (affordable) is Barnes Varmint Grenade or Varminators for non lead bullets. I want to have a non lead load for all my guns before it's mandated and the prices go up