Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Sounds like a great time Bob! I'm also not int the 'game of thrones' gimic whisky....but! They have some really outstanding bottles. The Oban is particularly good....

If I was any good at poker I'd drop by...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2019, 05:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sounds like a great time Bob! I'm also not int the 'game of thrones' gimic whisky....but! They have some really outstanding bottles. The Oban is particularly good....

If I was any good at poker I'd drop by...
Just come by and drink with us!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-17-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Just come by and drink with us!!
It is gonna happen...soon....after my trip to Australia, and I'm going to do a road trip. May hit you up for some Pilot sports....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
It is gonna happen...soon....after my trip to Australia, and I'm going to do a road trip. May hit you up for some Pilot sports....
We can make that happen, no problem!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 AM

Default A bottle of the world’s best Scotch whisky costs less than $18

Quote:
We’ll drink to that.

A £13.49 ($17.95) bottle of supermarket scotch was named the “Best Scotch Whisky” at the World Whiskies Awards, the Independent reported on Wednesday.

The Queen Margot Blend Scotch Whisky from the budget German supermarket chain Lidl was the top pick by 40 international experts at the annual event, which honors “the very best in all internationally recognized styles of drinks.” Their refined palates preferred Lidl’s eight-year-old blended Scotch whisky over more expensive pours like the 12-year-old Johnnie Walker Black Label, which costs more than twice as much at upwards of $35 for a 750-milliliter bottle at some online stores. its Queen Margot blend, imbued with dried apricot and plum, as “smooth with a rich sweetness and depth of flavour, leaving a warm, lingering finish.” The Queen Margot spent eight years mellowing in oak casks, and, as a result, “the taste holds more barrel character, where a little concentration from time in cask gives wood spice length of finish.”
Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 PM

I'm going to suspect that award is for best blended whisky, as they compare it to Johnny Walker Black (engine de- greaser)...because there is no way in hell that is The Best Whisky in The World.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:46 PM

And after looking into it, the category Queen Margot won in was 'Best Whisky Under 12 years old, blended'....Hardly the 'Best Whisky in the World, Period, Full Stop'.....Probably a bargain for what it is, but still probably nothing I'd really sit around sipping. Just sayin'......

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8798941.html

Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM
AO Sponsor

I tore into the Glengoyne 25 last night and must say it is stellar! Typically sherry cask notes but on steroids. Nice hints of leather on the nose. One the palette it is full of vanilla and fruity goodness. Very rich and chewy! Not a cheap bottle but definitely good value in a high quality 25yo. Happy to have one in the cabinet!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Any suggestions for a good scotch that’s carried at Duty Free? Headed to Costa Rica tomorrow with a layover in Dallas. Then a trip to Cancun.

I usually stay away from the real peaty stuff.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm going to suspect that award is for best blended whisky, as they compare it to Johnny Walker Black (engine de- greaser)...because there is no way in hell that is The Best Whisky in The World.
They would both be great in a rusty nail maybe.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:48 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Any suggestions for a good scotch that’s carried at Duty Free? Headed to Costa Rica tomorrow with a layover in Dallas. Then a trip to Cancun.

Depends on how much you want to spend and what you like. Not all duty free stores have the same bottles either. If you want to avoid smoky/peaty stuff stick to a highlands region if you want to play safe. If you like vanilla's etc a lot look for a bourbon casked variety. Any of the wine casked are nice as well. Port Cask, sherry cask, sauternes cask, burgundy cask... Doesn't matter really in that they are all safely enjoyable and non-intimidating.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 PM

My go to’s are Balvenie. Really liking the Caribbean cask. Used to love The Macallan 18yr. Oban 14yr is another good one.

Thought there might be a bottle that is pretty much exclusive to duty free. $200/bottle max is my wheel house
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM

That 25 Glengoyne may have to come home with me, sounds really good, and like something I'd compare to a Glendronach Parliament 21...

Quote:
My go to’s are Balvenie. Really liking the Caribbean cask. Used to love The Macallan 18yr. Oban 14yr is another good one.

Thought there might be a bottle that is pretty much exclusive to duty free. $200/bottle max is my wheel house
I also loved the 18 year old Macallan Sherry Cask. I'm still hoarding two bottles away.....but one of these days!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:09 PM

How many of you will order a nice Scotch at a restaurant with a meal?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
How many of you will order a nice Scotch at a restaurant with a meal?
Very rarely for me. I find most places 'top shelf' is usually pretty generic, OK but usually not exceptional, and the pricing is exorbitant. Usually I just have an Irish coffee after a meal, then go home and have an excellent whisky...and generous portions too!

Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Very rarely for me. I find most places 'top shelf' is usually pretty generic, OK but usually not exceptional, and the pricing is exorbitant. Usually I just have an Irish coffee after a meal, then go home and have an excellent whisky...and generous portions too!
Gotta give a big X2 to that, at least for the places I've been to. Sure, sipping away at a younger (Speyside/Highland/Islay/etc) whisky at a restaurant is fine, but I'd be very reluctant to order a 'Dronach 21 Parliament (or any of the like) of unknown condition for the $ amount they'd charge. It's great stuff BTW

And since a Glengoyne 25 was recently mentioned, I have an unopened bottle of Glengoyne 18 that I'd trade. Got a good price on it 1.5 years ago but I don't see me getting into it anytime soon.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yup, very seldom unless a company is buying. One ounce pours at high prices don't work well for me.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Stay with the 16 Year Jura if you can get it. I bought some 10 Year old Highland Park the other day, but I would have liked the 18 Year old, but you can't get it.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Enjoyed the Talisker DE and just tried the Glendronach 12 the other night. It is really good. Getting closer/braver to try some more peated/smokey scotch. Any advice on a entry level with not to much peat pr smoke? I have read good reviews on the Caol Ila. Is the Oban 14 peated and smokey?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Enjoyed the Talisker DE and just tried the Glendronach 12 the other night. It is really good. Getting closer/braver to try some more peated/smokey scotch. Any advice on a entry level with not to much peat pr smoke? I have read good reviews on the Caol Ila. Is the Oban 14 peated and smokey?
I'm also interested in trying some scotch with a little bit of peat and smoke. Up to now my favorite was the Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask, also enjoyed the Macallan fine oak series and Aberlour 12yr. The last bottle I tried was the Highland Park 12 and it's in the running for my new favorite. Any suggestions for something with a bit more peat/smoke?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM

On that Tallisker DE is a good place to start from there you could go to a Bowmore, maybe the 12 or 15, the Mariner is good if you can find it. Oban 14 is next after that in the progression I'd think.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I'm also interested in trying some scotch with a little bit of peat and smoke. Up to now my favorite was the Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask, also enjoyed the Macallan fine oak series and Aberlour 12yr. The last bottle I tried was the Highland Park 12 and it's in the running for my new favorite. Any suggestions for something with a bit more peat/smoke?
A Lagavulin 16 would be a good choice as well.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
A Lagavulin 16 would be a good choice as well.
One of the very best! A staple for us Islay lovers.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:44 AM

And then, every islay lover needs to try at least once in a lifetime, the Laphroaig 25 year old. I have been rationing a bottle for seven years now, still a third left. I poured one last night for myself and a friend, my birthday dram. It is exquisite. Perhaps my all time favorite Whisky. Amazing. We also had a 25 year Highland Park, and some Kavalan Vinho Barrique. It was a lovely mini tasting!

Old 03-08-2019, 03:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
And then, every islay lover needs to try at least once in a lifetime, the Laphroaig 25 year old. I have been rationing a bottle for seven years now, still a third left. I poured one last night for myself and a friend, my birthday dram. It is exquisite. Perhaps my all time favorite Whisky. Amazing. We also had a 25 year Highland Park, and some Kavalan Vinho Barrique. It was a lovely mini tasting!
That is a fine evening right there!!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QabHUUwC1tA

its like charlie and the whisky factory.. love watching these shorts vids
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 AM

Found a bottle of 19 year old ZURA and of course have the 16 year old, not that much of a difference. I think for the price, if that falls into it, me thinks the 16 is a better. Then I have the bottle of 12 year Highland Park, which is a standby. And I recently came a across a bottle of 20 year old Glen Deveron and it is good, if fact it is my favourite. OH WELL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:03 AM

I tried 1 shot of 18 year old Highland Park in a bar and it was good. But I was hoping for better.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Banned

Holy thread Resurrection BUT I'm interested in what the Scotch aficionados in here are choosing for Robbie Burns Day Saturday??
As for food OMEGA50 probably has smoked keto haggis going on
Old 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Well my whisky group is having our annual tasting tomorrow, a day early for Robbie Burns, but late for us as we usually try to get together before Christmas. Anyway...we all bring a bottle, its all blind tasting, a big secret, with a straw poll at the end to see who gets bragging rights for the most liked dram...but I will let you in on my offering early, as it's pretty dang good. And then will give you the rundown on what was enjoyed....probably Saturday after I wake up. Apparently we are having 11 different tastes as a couple of new invites are coming.

Anyway, I am bringing a bottle of the Game of Thrones series, House Lannister, a 9 year old Lagavullin ( I know, I said a few posts back I wasn't into 'gimic' releases, but it is really good!). I have socked away 3 of these, and a Talisker from the set as well. The Lagavullin is really nice, I prefer it to the 16 year old honestly. Not quite as smooth, but great character and finish. The 16 is almost bland in comparison? Still great, but not like the 9.....

I'm pretty pumped about it, one of the new guys is coming down from Peace River, a Scotsman I heard, and was threatening to bring hagis. Never tried hagis....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karlaal...whiskies-2018/

A link to the full 8 bottle set.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...s-whiskies-set

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-23-2020 at 09:44 PM.