Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Any of you scotch drinkers in Lethbridge/Calgary want a sealed bottle of Lagavulin 16 for a reasonable price? I bought it last year, don't think its quite my dram...pm if interested.
Pm sent
Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Just finished a aberlour 12, opening a tomatin 12 (my new go to).
I love the Aberlour 12 Bought myself a bottle of the Aberlour 16 as a birthday present and there wasn't a whole lot of difference to justify the extra $$$
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I love the Aberlour 12 Bought myself a bottle of the Aberlour 16 as a birthday present and there wasn't a whole lot of difference to justify the extra $$$
Agree, the 12 is excellent...I worked through quite a bit of it during last night's game as a matter of fact.. wonderful stuff and the price doesn't make you cringe if you get carried away on it a bit. Not like say a HP 18, or a 21 year Jura....

Of the Aberlour, my favorite is by far their cask strength A'bunahd. Absolutely stellar, if a bit pricey. Beautiful stuff, one of my favorite distillers.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Agree, the 12 is excellent...I worked through quite a bit of it during last night's game as a matter of fact.. wonderful stuff and the price doesn't make you cringe if you get carried away on it a bit. Not like say a HP 18, or a 21 year Jura....

Of the Aberlour, my favorite is by far their cask strength A'bunahd. Absolutely stellar, if a bit pricey. Beautiful stuff, one of my favorite distillers.
The A'bunahd is the only Aberlour which I drink. It's Talisker distillers edition for lunch since my hands smell like fresh caught fish.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
The A'bunahd is the only Aberlour which I drink. It's Talisker distillers edition for lunch since my hands smell like fresh caught fish.
Very nice! I've had several different bottles of the distiller's edition and they were all superb!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Very nice! I've had several different bottles of the distiller's edition and they were all superb!
I can't ever go wrong with that particular spirit, or I guess any Scotch for that mater!

As for the cask strength Aberlour I must say that I really enjoy cask strength selections. As with any quality spirit I consume them at room temperature and "neat".

Years ago Duncan Taylor released an excellent selection of rums aged in Scotch casks. All of them were cask strength and had originated from various distilleries around the Caribbean. I must have easily spent over ten thousand on them. The bottles ranged from a hundred to about three hundred fifty dollars. Can't find any more of them locally. I guess Talisker it is!

By the way, Scotch goes great with pan fried rainbow trout liver!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Sounds delicious! Both the rum and the trout!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:27 PM

Glenmorangie
Nectar dor

and last sept I was there...

note the link below
they make u state your age before getting in

the way this country is going

https://www.glenmorangie.com/en-au/o...ies/nectar-dor
Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 PM

Glenmorangie nectar d'or or talisker?? I typically drink Islays but wanting to branch out. Found talisker for $80 so it's not too badly priced.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Glenmorangie nectar d'or or talisker?? I typically drink Islays but wanting to branch out. Found talisker for $80 so it's not too badly priced.
Depends how far you want to branch away from islay...Talisker still has some smoke, peat and brine for you...the Nectar d'or is on the far other side of the scale, no smoke or peat at all, finished in Sauterne. (ice wine) casks, so very light and sweet. I enjoy it as a dessert dram with a coffee, but on a cold foggy damp night it doesn't cut it nearly as good as any Talisker will. I prefer the Talisker, Distiller's edition if you can find one.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Thank you sir! I have Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, laphroiag PX cask, Laphroaig quarter cask and a new bottle of Glenfiddich rich oak that was a gift. Wasn't a fan of bowmore 12. Following the list I have talisker may seem the way to go
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you sir! I have Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, laphroiag PX cask, Laphroaig quarter cask and a new bottle of Glenfiddich rich oak that was a gift. Wasn't a fan of bowmore 12. Following the list I have talisker may seem the way to go
Based on your list I’d try Bowmore 15. Love that stuff!

And you can’t go wrong with Talisker. I saw recently in the store Ardbeg ‘Kelpie’. Don’t know anything about it but sure sounds good to me. At $140 a bottle I didn’t pick one up. I have 3-4 different bottles of Ardbeg in the collection right now, so I’ll leave that for sometime down the road.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 PM

Any other suggestions I should look at?
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Scotch

If there are any scotch drinkers, in the Crowsnest, pincher area. I have a sealed Texas mickey. In an oak cradle, that has been around for close to 50 years. I am sure something could be worked out to re- home it.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Any other suggestions I should look at?
If you haven't tried the Oban you really should, it's a gentler Islay. Also, Highland Park 12 (or better yet 18)....HP is one of my favorite distilleries, you can't go wrong with their age statement whisky.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
If there are any scotch drinkers, in the Crowsnest, pincher area. I have a sealed Texas mickey. In an oak cradle, that has been around for close to 50 years. I am sure something could be worked out to re- home it.
Whisky does not age once bottled so 50 years old or 6 months old has zero effect on the whisky. It is only when in casks in contact with wood that age changes the whisky.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you haven't tried the Oban you really should, it's a gentler Islay.
Oban Little Bay is good too!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM

My son is in Edmonton for the Oilers/Kings game tomorrow, gave him my tickets...and had him swing by Wine and Beyond and grab me 3 bottles of the Talisker Distiller's Edition. Couldn't get it out of my head, been a few years since I was able to find one. Or 3. Reviews on it look good, rated a 92. Should be another dandy!

Old 11-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
My son is in Edmonton for the Oilers/Kings game tomorrow, gave him my tickets...and had him swing by Wine and Beyond and grab me 3 bottles of the Talisker Distiller's Edition. Couldn't get it out of my head, been a few years since I was able to find one. Or 3. Reviews on it look good, rated a 92. Should be another dandy!
Way to go! Every sip is the essence of the sea itself. That and a bog fire with a dash of Scots' sweat!

I would be very interested to find out your opinion regarding which cigar tobacco pairs best with that particular malt.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Way to go! Every sip is the essence of the sea itself. That and a bog fire with a dash of Scots' sweat!

I would be very interested to find out your opinion regarding which cigar tobacco pairs best with that particular malt.
Well, I haven't tried it yet, just read reviews, and I very infrequently have a cigar anymore...

Having said that, I think the best Cigar I ever had with an Islay (and I tried this with Laphroaig, Lagavullin and Ardbeg)...was the Romeo and Jullietta Short Churchill. Really enjoyed that one, a friend brought me a half dozen from Cuba and they were delicious with the smoke, peat and brine. Particularly like it with the Ardbeg Uigeadail....

Cigars are like whisky though, everyone has their own particular favorite.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:19 PM

So watching the Flames play, and poured myself a generous dram of the Kavalan Solist Port Cask...and I still can't wrap my head around this being distilled in Taiwan. Only 5 years old. It is just so good.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:58 PM

Picked myself up a bottle of Highland Park 12 to celebrate my first ever deer today. Got him skinned out and made it to parent teacher interviews. So far this was a good recommendation
Old 11-29-2018, 07:46 AM

Congrats on your first deer! And glad you like the Highland Park too...

I've been known to make a marinade with HP, some real maple syrup, and cracked pepper for venison steaks...let them sit in a ziplock bag for 8 hours and grill lightly. Make sure and trim off any silver skin before you bag. Deeeelicious!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Picked myself up a bottle of Highland Park 12 to celebrate my first ever deer today. Got him skinned out and made it to parent teacher interviews. So far this was a good recommendation
Congrats on your first deer! You can never go wrong with Highland Park.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Two new bottles added to the cabinet tonight! First time for both...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kmz4Fvo.jpg (20.7 KB, 22 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 11-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
So watching the Flames play, and poured myself a generous dram of the Kavalan Solist Port Cask...and I still can't wrap my head around this being distilled in Taiwan. Only 5 years old. It is just so good.
And here I though that I was the only one trumping up the heretically delicious Asian whiskies! Tonight I took the head and shoulders of "Hibiki" by Suntory Whisky. I'm looking forward to trying one of their single malts in the days to come. Lamentably, they are quite rare.

I did grab three bottles of Talisker Distillers' Edition too. I figured since TC is stocking up I better start hoarding.

Tirebob, pics or it didn't happen!

Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
And here I though that I was the only one trumping up the heretically delicious Asian whiskies! Tonight I took the head and shoulders of "Hibiki" by Suntory Whisky. I'm looking forward to trying one of their single malts in the days to come. Lamentably, they are quite rare.

Tirebob, pics or it didn't happen!

If you like to dabble on the dark side, you really owe it to yourself to try that Kavalan Solist....either the port, or the Vinho Barrique. The Sherry is really good too, but I prefer the port. I tried the Hibiki at a tasting a year or two ago, was quite impressed with it too.

And smart move on the Talisker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (41.1 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Tirebob, pics or it didn't happen...
Horrible internet!!! Should be good now...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Horrible internet!!! Should be good now...
That's a gruesome two-some of scotch right there! I've always been a big fan of Lagavulin! Tullibardine is an excellent selection too!

TC I will pick up a bottle of Kavalan Solist on my next trip to one of our citys' finer liquor stores.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
That's a gruesome two-some of scotch right there! I've always been a big fan of Lagavulin! Tullibardine is an excellent selection too!

TC I will pick up a bottle of Kavalan Solist on my next trip to one of our citys' finer liquor stores.
I will look forward to hearing your impression. You will want to press it with a big drop of water, it is potent cask, and let it breathe for five minutes...beautiful!

Bob, let me know what you think of that Lagavullin, it's been on my radar for a couple weeks, saw it on the shelf at Vintage my last visit.