Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM

Default Rock Guard

I just picked up a used Lund and I want to put a rock guard on the front of the trailer. Does anyone know where a guy can get on in the Edmonton area?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Explorer Industries, Dave can get you one in.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:41 AM

I just installed the Alcon Plastics rock guard, purchased from Explorer industries in Edmonton. It was a lot of work and I would recommend having them do it. If you google Alcon plastics boat guard you will see pictures of it. It is a few hundred $ cheaper than those mesh ones, is very solid and works well. I recommend it!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I just installed the Alcon Plastics rock guard, purchased from Explorer industries in Edmonton. It was a lot of work and I would recommend having them do it. If you google Alcon plastics boat guard you will see pictures of it. It is a few hundred $ cheaper than those mesh ones, is very solid and works well. I recommend it!

What was the cost of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Contact Bob at Trailer Tux. The original and still the best.

He'll get you setup with one that fits properly, works as advertised, and is backed by his unmatched customer service.

https://www.trailertux.com/
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the install?

I was considering buying one of these for my 166
Old 06-20-2019, 03:21 PM

Alcon plastic boat guard comes with hardware and instructions. Had to read instructions several times to figure it out. Instructions I think say 4 hours work. Took me all of that, once on it looks simple but I found it not so simple - need the right tools to screw on the locking nuts over long bolts and need some long arms. Once on it is solid and way better and longer lasting and cheaper than the mesh products. The plastic guard looks big when you get it as it is a large plastic piece with two small wings but once installed it does not look so big. Mesh guards I looked at were all over $800, which surprised me. Alcon guard is just under $600 plus delivery if ordered from factory in Saskatoon. Just over $600 if buy from dealer mentioned in Edmonton. If you are handy and have the time and tools give er a shot. If not then i suggest getting it installed. Guy in Edmonton said it was a 2 beer job. I’d say more like a 6 pack

Last edited by pope; 06-20-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 06-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Buy one of the large mud flaps that hook onto your hitch. They will protect the front of your boat no problem. Had one for years and never a chip. Most RV dealers sell them for 200 or less. Mine was a Rock Solid if that helps.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
I just picked up a used Lund and I want to put a rock guard on the front of the trailer. Does anyone know where a guy can get on in the Edmonton area?
I believe Barry Jays sells them. Though trailer tux is very good also.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Can you let me know how this works after you have done some serious gravel.
When I was looking for a rock guard for my boat guys back then were saying to watch out for solid guards as they ricochet rocks back at the tailgate of the tow vehicle while the mesh ones don't. So I would be very interested in knowing for when I might need to replace my mesh one. This will be the 10th season for my rock guard in case anyone was wondering.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 PM

I have the type of rock guard that is a mesh/rubber bra sort of thing and its good, unless you are constantly fixing new rips etc like me. I would def try a hard plastic for the next one
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM

I was going to put a rock guard on my trailer but for a good savings less instead I had the sides and front third of my hull vinyl wrapped instead with 3M clear stone guard, the stuff they wrap vehicles in nowadays for paint protection. There are three grades of vinyl, I bought the top of the line product, not the mid or low grade. It's thicker than normal vinyl wrap, completely transparent, doesn't yellow and is tough as nails! You don't end up with docking/launching marks in your paint or graphics so if you sell later you can peel it off and you have everything as new underneath as when you bought it. First photo Oct 2017 new taking delivery. Bare paint. Second photo May 2019 after vinyl wrap job.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 AM

I've had good luck with the Bow-Buddy. It's the screen type, simple to install and protects quite well. Fully adjustable, and can be removed in a minute. The pic was my old unit and after 8 years of use, it still was in great condition and most importantly, had no rock chips on the boat.
Put the same thing on my new boat, except got the solid bars for the trailing edge (instead of the white bungee cord). Very solid setup, does not flop around at hwy speeds.

With the new boat I did look at different brands but the BowBuddy worked the best for me.
I did try the RockGUARD. Nice product, good protection, a bit more $$$. But I could not get a good fit on my trailer. The spare tire and the jack interfered with the screen fit. They suggested cutting and modifying but I said no thanks. Also with the RG, it blocks the winch, so you need to unclip the screen to winch the boat up.

They're available at most boat stores. But phone around cause prices were all over the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0722a.jpg (46.5 KB, 19 views)