Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Fishing charter help

In October my Dad was diagnosed with ALS, he is pretty losing strength quickly, although he is not in a wheelchair yet

We missed hunting last year while we were figuring out what was wrong with him. Now that we know, we really want to try and get one last trip together.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a 1 or 2 day fishing trip, salt water. Where we spend just the day on the boat (sleep in a hotel).

This is likely our last chance to have an outdoors type trip.

Cost wise hoping for less than $3-5k

Our ideal time frame is week of August 12, but I understand that isn't the best time for fishing. We could wait until September, but that's dicey

Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Default sorry to hear the news

-- lost my mother to ALS, Christmas day 2005, hers was fast only three months after finding out, I can say, I know exactly what you are going through

-- if this was my dad, I would take him to Tofino area, we have been there and fishing will be awesome in mid august

-- for apparent reasons go as soon as you can

-- we have used several guides, Kerry Reid would be a good choice, but just Google for guides and accommodations

-- truly a trip of a lifetime, better bring two cameras there is just that many pictures to take

good luck doyle
Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Arrow

Sorry to hear about your Pa, but very much like what you are proposing for him!

I guided on the West Coast of Vancouver Island for over a decade.
The fishing should be great in mid-August, and by then the closures the lieberals imposed will be back up to normal levels for the recreational fleet.

I would suggest looking at Ucluelet area. Great accommodations at much better rates than Tofino. Charter rates are all pretty much the same, running ~ 1K for an 8 - 10 hour day.

Suggestions:

https://reeltimewestcoastcharters.com/ - Turk got a new and bigger beautiful rig this year. Heck of a great fisherman who will go the extra distance to ensure you have FUN! Tell him Matt sent you.

https://www.castawaycharters.ca/ - Tell Paul that I sent you.

http://www.fishmyster.com/ - Again, tell Ken I sent you.

Loads of accommodations there, ranging from B & B's to luxury. Google is your buddy. Feel free to pm in this regard if you want hep in deciding, I know most of them.

Cheers & Have a BLAST out on our Real West Coast!
Matt
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM

I appreciate the feedback, we have always fished up north, out of Bella Coola, where we fished in late August/early September.

We are definitely going to start looking at something now earlier. He was diagnosed early and it mostly affects his breathing, but today he was complaining about his grip strength, so I am motivated to get going on this.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:57 PM

It’s out of Rupert I think still but I would go with ocean star charters... absolutely top notch fishing , food , and a very relaxing trip.. I would look into it ..
Old 06-19-2019, 04:56 PM

If you're looking in the Comox area at all then I highly recommend Island pursuit sportfishing. Steve runs a top notch outfit....second generation on those waters his whole life. He is also tied in with Crown Isle resort so you can book a package with fishing and accommodations....could fly right into Comox and I believe the resort has shuttle service to and from harbour. We were there late August this past summer and had no problem limiting out and releasing a few more.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If you're looking in the Comox area at all then I highly recommend Island pursuit sportfishing. Steve runs a top notch outfit....second generation on those waters his whole life. He is also tied in with Crown Isle resort so you can book a package with fishing and accommodations....could fly right into Comox and I believe the resort has shuttle service to and from harbour. We were there late August this past summer and had no problem limiting out and releasing a few more.
I believe all the inside of the Island is closed to Chinook retention this year?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
It’s out of Rupert I think still but I would go with ocean star charters... absolutely top notch fishing , food , and a very relaxing trip.. I would look into it ..
Willis was a really good guy with a nice operation. I believe they are shut down now though? I could be wrong but a google search says the website is gone.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I believe all the inside of the Island is closed to Chinook retention this year?
Only till July 15 I believe.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

Best bet off the Island is and will be the Outside for this year in that time-frame.

Y'all can thank the liberals for catering to FN blackmail demands for this BS...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM

We booked with Reel Time West Coast Charters for Mid August. I think the Old Man is Excited, it should be a bitter sweet experience.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
We booked with Reel Time West Coast Charters for Mid August. I think the Old Man is Excited, it should be a bitter sweet experience.
Good Choice. Turk will indeed ensure you get into fish, and have a very enjoyable run.

Hope your Pa gets into a whole wack of great fish!!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 06-21-2019, 11:27 PM

Sounds like you made a good choice.
I can offer no help other than to pass along my support for what you're doing.
Hope you 2 have the greatest trip known to man!