Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Trail Cameras

I've put this out on hunting forum which maybe is where it should be but those trappers out there that might be using some for one reason or another what might be ones you prefer seeing we can face some pretty cold conditions . Of course something that doesn't break the bank but is still reliable . Thank you for any of your information .
Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM

I've used spy point force 10s the last two years on my snare line and they are great .. good pics, long battery life and solid.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM

You will probably get a variety of responses but I really like the brownings, good picture quality and overall a good camera
Old 04-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Default The best bang for your buck

I like the wild game innovations trail cams I've used multiple brands and the wild game innovations have worked in some crazy cold temps and have great battery life and are very user friendly and you can get them for a great price on sale and they still won't break the bank if they aren't on sale watch the cabelas and Canadian tireflyers if you want to get really good deals on cameras
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM

One reason I like moutre over the others is they have a great return policy I guess if you get a camera that you never have to return that's good also Wildgame Innovations would noteven look at me they just wanted more money.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 PM

I see Cabela's has a SPYPOINTŪ Solar 12MP Trail Camera for 250. Solar powered with rechargeable lithium batteries is nice but the rechargeable batteries can be pricey. Extreme cold still would be iffy.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I see Cabela's has a SPYPOINTŪ Solar 12MP Trail Camera for 250. Solar powered with rechargeable lithium batteries is nice but the rechargeable batteries can be pricey. Extreme cold still would be iffy.
I saw that too and Id love to try one but the areas I set up in have little to no cell service . My spypoints worked good down to -25 and a touch colder .. didnt bother with cameras when it got colder than that .
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 AM

I have dozens of trailcams of I believe every different brand out there and they all are mediocre at best in the cold. I just pulled 30 of them and they work real well for ravens and whisky jacks but never seem to record when i catch something in a trap!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Anyone getting one year life out of a cam and batteries? Set some remote cams up last fall hoping they are still taking pics this summer.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 PM

I've run Bushnell, Moultrie, Stealthcam and Tasco. All older versions, I think the last one I bought was easily 5 years ago. Hands down the Bushnell Trophy Cams for battery life. I usually put them out in June and take down in November/December for hunting (3/3 to 1/3 battery life left depending on pic amount).

I have one that I put out in August, checked last weekend and still 2/3 battery. Not many pics on this one though (~1000).
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
I've run Bushnell, Moultrie, Stealthcam and Tasco. All older versions, I think the last one I bought was easily 5 years ago. Hands down the Bushnell Trophy Cams for battery life. I usually put them out in June and take down in November/December for hunting (3/3 to 1/3 battery life left depending on pic amount).

I have one that I put out in August, checked last weekend and still 2/3 battery. Not many pics on this one though (~1000).
What kind of cam did you put out last August?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What kind of cam did you put out last August?
Bushnell Trophy Cam
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM

I agree with herc, Bushnell trophy cams have the best battery life for us. We have a couple Spy Point, never again, change batteries every time and when there are tracks in front batteries are dead . Jury is still out on the Stealth Cams I bought on sale.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:27 PM

I run all moultrie and I hook them up to 12v batteries. I dont have to worry about theft or bears. I use 16g cards and they will take pics all winter long, no matter the temp.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 AM

There's no way around it for cold weather use and battery power is to go with the Spypoint Solar's. You can run the Lithium add-on batteries but there's no point with the Solar panels, they don't need batteries period even at -40C.

I have a bunch of cameras I run year round and there is no way to compare a non-solar to a solar for battery power reliability. I have the Link-S cell as well as the regular $250 non-cell Solar models and they both work just as good even in video modes.

I run almost every brand out there and there is just no comparison to a solar, yes some of my units will run 6 months to a year on batteries but my Solar's are never dead, they work no matter the settings, temps or direction they are pointed in.

I really don't like being "brand loyal" but Spypoint has been my favorite between the Link S "Free" cell unit and the regular cheaper solar model they are hard to beat for overall cost of operation. You will never need to pay SIM card cell phone fees and battery fees again with either model. There's no way to beat a cheap running game camera for years of operation that way, it gets expensive buying even $20-40 in batteries per year per unit when you run 10+ units.