Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Default Drop Away Rests?

Looking for suggestions and tips on drop away rests. Never used one before, currently using a whisker biscuit. It is ready to be replaced and I am thinking of switching to a drop away style rest, I would like to stick with full containment style of rest.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterxlr8 View Post
Looking for suggestions and tips on drop away rests. Never used one before, currently using a whisker biscuit. It is ready to be replaced and I am thinking of switching to a drop away style rest, I would like to stick with full containment style of rest.
QAD, proven and excellent CS
Old 06-03-2018, 06:21 AM

There is only one. RIPCORD
Old 06-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Banned

I’m using the Ripcord Ace. Not sure why I went with this one over the QAD but I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either one of them.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Banned

You got two good options there, after owning both my money would go to the QAD. I wouldn't even consider a RipCord code red, it drops upon controlled let down, it's not a true "full containment". I guess it wouldn't matter if you're only shooting target. The Ace isn't a bad rest but I still like QAD better personally.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:14 AM

My 8 year old QAD has never let me down, with the exception of my very first day (user error). I've even found on the net how to do a delay time on the drop to even better stabilize the shot.

I've never had to lube it - it's been 100% maintenance free. Have shot down to -27* C in the winter, still works.

When I replace my bow, another one will be purchased.

J.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Default HHA as well

HHA has released a fall away. Easier installation and adjustment (for those who serve in the cord). Rip cord has also released a rest that doesn't drop on controlled release. I guess they saw the light. Any of these will do the job.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:50 AM

Hamskea hybrid hunter pro. Limb driven, full containment.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:07 PM

Hamskea Hybrid Hunter. QAD, Trophy Taker Smackdown, RipCord Ace are all good options too. Prefer the reliably of limbdriven drop away tho.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

I switched to qad from rip cord and I wouldn't ever go back never shot so decent in my life
Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM

I have not tried Ripcord so can't comment on that one, but I can say I love my QAD. Takes a little effort to set it up properly, but it has worked flawlessly on my bow for 6 years now.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Looking for suggestions and tips on drop away rests. Never used one before, currently using a whisker biscuit.
Certain things in hunting are a given imo. Like you can choose to drive a silverado, f-150, tundra, titan or a RAM...no brainer right? The Ram should be the obvious choice for any Alberta Hunter.

When a product is so well named it's really hard to ignore. Like whisker biscuit for example...let that roll off your tongue a few times. Mmmm...see?

Maybe the best named product in all of hunting. Not only that but it's actually the best hunting rest available, has been since it came out, and not sure it can be beat.

Drop aways are all crap. I've got some high dollar rests, custom hamskea and the like sitting in a box. Want one? Utter crap.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 PM

I was just like you shot a whisker biscuit for years had great success with it upgraded the bow and changed to a QAD for myself and my daughter. Either works fine but IMO the drop away improved my groupings at longer distances.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Hamskea hybrid hunter pro. Limb driven, full containment.
What he said!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 PM

sub'd for when my bow finally comes... thanks for asking the question Monster.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 PM

Lol...it all makes sense now, Stinky Biscuit errr I mean coyote you make me chuckle.

All the true pros in the USA are switching to whisker biscuits for target and 3D...errr no they arent.

QAD HDX or Hamskea will serve you well. I have placed at many tournaments and killed lots of things using both of them (but not at the same time )

LC
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM

I shoot a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Has been my first Limb-driven rest and I really like it a bunch.

In the past I've owned the QAD HDX and its been great, no complaints at all. I hear great things about Hamskea as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

Bwahaha, excellent lefty✌

True pro's? At what? Hunting?😂
Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Well I think for the fun of trying something new I am going to try the QAD out for this hunting season. If it doesn't perform the way I want it to, it will be back to the whisker biscuit.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Well I think for the fun of trying something new I am going to try the QAD out for this hunting season. If it doesn't perform the way I want it to, it will be back to the whisker biscuit.
I had the rip cord code red, it failed me in the filed and cost me an opportunity on a very large mule deer. I took it off, through it in the garbage and put on a QAD. I have run QAD on my past 3 bows with zero failures. FYI, after I got my QAD on I went out and killed that mule deer that my rip cord failed me on.

I don't have experience with any others. I have stayed away from the limb driven rests as that is a long cord that increases your chances of getting hung up in the bush or crops when hunting.

I'm not saying they are bad, that is just my experience.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM

I just bought a QAD HDX today and my Anchor Sight came in the mail. Hoping to get them both installed early next week! I have a stock Carbon Icon, so I've been looking to upgrade some thing on it, looking into different stabilizers next.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
I just bought a QAD HDX today and my Anchor Sight came in the mail. Hoping to get them both installed early next week! I have a stock Carbon Icon, so I've been looking to upgrade some thing on it, looking into different stabilizers next.
I shot a bee Stinger MicroHex 10" stabilizer the other night and it was great on my carbon icon with a 29 " 70 pound set up. Next pay day I think I'll buy it.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I’ll tell you a secret with the anchor sight. Set it up while you still have your peep in the bow. That way you set it to your current anchor and you aren’t chasing it all over. Always move it to you...don’t move to it.

LC
Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
I shot a bee Stinger MicroHex 10" stabilizer the other night and it was great on my carbon icon with a 29 " 70 pound set up. Next pay day I think I'll buy it.
I’ll keep that in mind, if like to try a couple before deciding on one to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I’ll tell you a secret with the anchor sight. Set it up while you still have your peep in the bow. That way you set it to your current anchor and you aren’t chasing it all over. Always move it to you...don’t move to it.

LC
I was thinking the same thing, figured it would be a good idea to keep the peep in then remove it later on.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Very happy with my QAD HDX.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I’ll keep that in mind, if like to try a couple before deciding on one to buy

I was thinking the same thing, figured it would be a good idea to keep the peep in then remove it later on.
Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer. I run them on my hunting and 3D/Spot rig. Great value and excellent quality.

https://www.amazon.ca/Trophy-Ridge-S.../dp/B00E1EOA2U
Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Banned

Where you at lefty?

Tell me about these 'Pro's'?

We know target pro's can't really recommend much to the hunting side of things right?

In terms of 'hunting pro's' i can think of a couple that would be worth listening to on the rest choices....Archie Nesbitt and Tim Wells come to mind, two of the most killing bowhunters ever, what rest do they use again? These guys you'll never hear about in the 'target relm' but no one gets it done in the field like they do. Tim has to be the best shot i've ever seen and at distances you don't mention on forums. Haven't seen Archie shoot but from recollection he runs 20 yrd pin gaps on a 6 pin and is pinned to 120 and has plenty of kills in that range also not worth mentioning on a forum. I could be wrong but i looked into this awhile ago...whisker biscuits are not only amazing but the best for hunting.

We do see eye to eye on the anchorsight though, that is a beauty piece of gear that benefits the hunter imo. Well worth the time to set one up and use.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 PM

On my way to a shoot...consult Tim Gillingham for drop way info, you are talking to the wrong Tim

Lynn from Anchor Sight is sending me out a new style of one to try out, nice guy, even going to have my initials engraved on it

LC
Old 06-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Tim Gillingham for drop way info, you are talking to the wrong Tim

Lynn from Anchor Sight is sending me out a new style of one to try out, nice guy, even going to have my initials engraved on it

LC
Tim Gillingham? Never heard of her

Kidding, the little guy comes up as a pro alright, listing his hobbies in order of favorites starting with 3 target disciplines and then hunting last. He's all about target stuff, and just a bare minimum about hunting.

The guys i was talking about have more death from bowhunting tied up between them than all the guys at one of those tournaments combined lol.

100 yrds isn't really a big deal and i'm sure they'd laugh if they ever even saw one of these threads.

There isn't a better hunting rest than the biscuit. You can still get it done with a drop away. All depends what your comfort is around mickey mouse, mechanical, complexity, failure rates etc.

My bet?...the op will be back to the biscuit after a short trial and a little lighter in the pocket.

Interesting news on the anchor sight, i don't want to know...will probably cost me some more money dangit
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 PM

got both my QAD HDX and my anchor sight installed today. So far so good. made some adjustments and tuned up the anchor sight (bit of a pain at first but then I got it) and Im already shooting better than i was, Mind you only at 10 yards, I'll go out to SPFGA on monday morning to fiddle around some more and do some 3D.

I like the drop away more than the stock "brush" rest that came with the Carbon Icon.