Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was waiting on that order as well. Luckily,I picked up 25 flats of Winchester target loads from Bashaw last weekend, so I am good for the rest of this year.
I'm going to have to put out a special box for those guys shooting Winchesters so they can toss their unwanted hulls in there!
Cat
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to put out a special box for those guys shooting Winchesters so they can toss their unwanted hulls in there!
I have a few more flats of Top Guns to use up, then you can have the Winchesters as I shoot them.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM

I have load data for the Top Guns as well, but prefer the HS type hulls, because the Top Guns are a paper base wad.
Cat
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
You must have tight chambers or a mec sizer those steel based hulls are a bugger.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 PM

Yea that back order put us all in to panic mode, cya tomorrow for that reloading lesson cat! hahaha

NEVER get between Electricity and where it wants to go!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
You must have tight chambers or a mec sizer those steel based hulls are a bugger.
All my MEC loaders have collet die sizers on them .
Cat
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Can't wait to hear how the shot maker goes Cat! I'm am > < this close to ordering one myself. I have at least 100lbs of lead waiting for a purpose.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Call GRC in Edmonton, the old lock and load. Aks Blair for the number for MAX
He makes shot here in Edmonton
780-452-9955
They will be open till 8 PM tonight
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Are you guys just having a hard time finding target loads? Cabelas has some "Canadian Special" ones on sale right now. $55 a case, and they are red and white.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Are you guys just having a hard time finding target loads? Cabelas has some "Canadian Special" ones on sale right now. $55 a case, and they are red and white.
The last time someone was down there was a couple of weeks ago and all they had was a few flats left - they may have got more in however.

To make a special trip down there for that kind of savings however is a bit non-productive for one guy.
The didn't have anything the last time I was down there.
Cat
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Not to mention it's not an apples to apples comparison. A handload should be compared to a premium shell like a Winchester AA or Kent Diamond Shot. Comparing a handload to the kind of shell you get for $55/250 is like comparing a hand loaded bullet to the kind you buy from China in a tin of 1000...

They may work ok but I'd rather practice with hand loads because that's what I'd be using in a competition.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Not to mention it's not an apples to apples comparison. A handload should be compared to a premium shell like a Winchester AA or Kent Diamond Shot. Comparing a handload to the kind of shell you get for $55/250 is like comparing a hand loaded bullet to the kind you buy from China in a tin of 1000...

They may work ok but I'd rather practice with hand loads because that's what I'd be using in a competition.
Just take a look at the wads that the cheap stuff is loaded with and then WWAA , Kent TC ,or Rem STS wad - BIG difference!
Cat
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM

I agree completely. I don't shoot trap very often, and certainly not enough to get into loading shotgun shells. I just buy the Federal target loads for general use on grouse, some casual clay shooting and for the shotgun parts of 3-gun matches.

I suspect that if I tried handloads for some of these, I would be spoiled. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in a cylinder bore tactical style shotgun for 3-gun, but it would be interesting to try.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I agree completely. I don't shoot trap very often, and certainly not enough to get into loading shotgun shells. I just buy the Federal target loads for general use on grouse, some casual clay shooting and for the shotgun parts of 3-gun matches.

I suspect that if I tried handloads for some of these, I would be spoiled. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in a cylinder bore tactical style shotgun for 3-gun, but it would be interesting to try.
The big difference you would find would be between a 7/8oz load and a 1 1/8 factory load as far as recoil and repeated sight picture goes - lots easier to keep the bead where it is supposed t0 be when you are recoiling lighter!
For the ocasional round of skeet or trap, no, not a lot of difference except i the recoil.

To gear up for a flat of ammo a year is not really cost effective, but when you are shooting high volume, yup.

I was talking to a fella at the range the other day, his son
( a member here) at one time was doing the ATA circuit and shooting a real hot load, one that I could not shoot myself, and to buy them would be special order.
My load is not available on many store shelves either, it is a lighter load that
is 24 grams.

That is the nice thing about hand loading, plus it is very relaxing after a hrad day at work or early in the morning with a cup of coffee and CKUA on the box!
Cat