Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM

Default Scotch

Polished off what was left of a couple bottles over the holidays so I need a new bottle. Any suggestions for single malts in the $80 range?

Some of the scotch's I've had:

Glenlivet 12, 15?
Glenfinnich 12
Glenfarclas 17, 35
Bruichladdich many variations
Laphroaigh Quarter cask
Bowmore
Oban
Craggenmore 20
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Polished off what was left of a couple bottles over the holidays so I need a new bottle. Any suggestions for single malts in the $80 range?

Glenlivet 12, 15?
Glenfinnich 12
Glenfarclas 17, 35
Laphroaigh Quarter cask
Bowmore
Oban
Craggenmore 20
I've been enjoying the Glenfiddich 15yr and The Dalmore 12yr. Both are under $80 and worth a try. IMO
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 PM

I'd give a Macallan a try.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordr69 View Post
X2 , 105 cask strength if you can find it.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Aberlour 18
McCallan 15
Scapa 16
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
X2 , 105 cask strength if you can find it.
Haven't had the 105 but have had other Macallan offerings. Anyone had the Macallan 1824 Amber?

Have had the Glenfiddich 15 too. I've never had any Dalmore stuff....
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

How do you enjoy your scotch?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM

The Scapa is intriguing....I'm going to see what my local stores have in stock tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordr69 View Post
Agreed, the wife bought me a bottle but can't remember witch one it was, that's how good it was lol. She said it was around $80.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 PM

Well, I went to a tasting again tonight, it was a 'best of' from the last many years tasting. All very nice offerings, and readily available....except one. Somehow, they had sourced a 1990 Balblair limited casking (second release, was originally released without the extra time in sherry butts). It's a 23 year old whisky, which spent the first 20 years in first fill ex-bourbon white oak casks, and another three years in fine sherry butts. I had tried it a few years back at another tasting and was very impressed, but didn't buy any. And then it didn't exist anymore. So tonight, when it showed up I was very surprised and pleased. After the tasting, a vote was taken, and the Balblair took 14 of 22 votes for the favorite of the evening, and that was against some really good offerings from Talisker (Storm), Highland Park (Dark Origins), Glenmorangie (Signet), Jura (Prophecy), Auchentoshan Three Wood, Ardbeg (Uigeadail), Aberlour (A'Bunadh)....
It was a bronze metal winner at the 2014 World Whisky awards. Well deserved.

So I bought as many as they would let me have, it was in demand. I got to take four home. Happy happy day! A very refined, smooth whisky, you really get the oak but in the best of ways. I will have to sit down and enjoy more than a small shot of it some evening, and do a proper review. It may take a couple drams.

http://www.balblair.com/collection/158_1990

http://www.whiskynotes.be/2016/balbl...air-1990-2014/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post

Glenlivet 12, 15?
Glenfinnich 12
Glenfarclas 17, 35
Laphroaigh Quarter cask
Bowmore
Oban
Craggenmore 20
You can get a Glenlivit 18 in your neck of the woods at the Superstore Liquor for right around $80. They seem to have good deals whenever I stop in. You have to ask for it though as they keep it in the back.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Laguvalin

Laguvalin 16 year! My favourite scotch to date! Smokey, peaty and smells of leather... what more could one want?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Was just in a liquor store this morning, didn't find anything of interest. The search continues...
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM

As suggested earlier in this thread by Juggernaut, if you want to diversify your scotch portfolio - Willow Park is the store you need to visit.

There isn't another store collection in Canada which can surpass the selection of Willow Park.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
As suggested earlier in this thread by Juggernaut, if you want to diversify your scotch portfolio - Willow Park is the store you need to visit.

There isn't another store collection in Canada which can surpass the selection of Willow Park.
Ummmmm I'd put Chateau Louis up against them any day
Old 09-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Chivas Regal.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

I decided to pick up a nice bottle since it's Friday and I've been a good boy this week. Talisker Port Ruighe aged in port casks for the finish. An excellent flavor profile and smell, as with any Talisker the essence of the sea is in it too! Overall an excellent scotch.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Laguvalin 16 year! My favourite scotch to date! Smokey, peaty and smells of leather... what more could one want?
You have it figured out......
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

Anybody else stock up on the Macallan Fine Oak series (10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 21 & 25 yr old) as they have been discontinued? They (fairly) quietly switched to their 'color' series, Gold, Amber, Sienna (wtheck is that?) and Ruby. This is a 'no age' offering, and not cheap. I've tried them all, and while very fine, for the price I really preferred their Fine Oak. I stocked up on what I could get, in the 15-21 yr range, and put them away. Someday, somewhere, there will be a reason to open them, but until then they are under lock and key. Here is an article that tipped me off on the matter....

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...-whiskies.aspx

And from their webpage:

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/the-1824-series/

I also managed to pick up a very limited bottling of the GlenDronach 1991 and 1994. Those are not being opened any time soon either, but they are fantastic, I was lucky enough to be at a whisky tasting where they were offered, and wish I had bought 2 bottles of each instead of just one. They are individually numbered, from a given cask. So I have a '94, aged in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, Cask #101, bottle 314 of 628....

http://www.abbeywhisky.com/glendrona...batch-8-whisky

And a '91, aged in Pedro Ximeniz Sherry Puncheon, Cask 5409, bottle 524/716.

I hardly have been able to resist opening those, but don't dare because I know what will happen. For now, I stick to my other bottles that are still available.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also managed to pick up a very limited bottling of the GlenDronach 1991 and 1994. Those are not being opened any time soon either, but they are fantastic, I was lucky enough to be at a whisky tasting where they were offered, and wish I had bought 2 bottles of each instead of just one. They are individually numbered, from a given cask. So I have a '94, aged in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, Cask #101, bottle 314 of 628....

those 91 and 94 at the above link? Been looking!

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Anybody else stock up on the Macallan Fine Oak series (10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 21 & 25 yr old) as they have been discontinued? They (fairly) quietly switched to their 'color' series, Gold, Amber, Sienna (wtheck is that?) and Ruby. This is a 'no age' offering, and not cheap. I've tried them all, and while very fine, for the price I really preferred their Fine Oak. I stocked up on what I could get, in the 15-21 yr range, and put them away. Someday, somewhere, there will be a reason to open them, but until then they are under lock and key. Here is an article that tipped me off on the matter....

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...-whiskies.aspx

And from their webpage:

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/the-1824-series/

And a '91, aged in Pedro Ximeniz Sherry Puncheon, Cask 5409, bottle 524/716.

I hardly have been able to resist opening those, but don't dare because I know what will happen. For now, I stick to my other bottles that are still available.

I remember reading this thread awhile ago and I just have a quick question for all you scotch wizards out there.

I really liked the Macallan fine oak series (12,15,18 yr) but it's been replaced with the colour series and not quite the same. I'm currently in Maui and have seen Macallan 12 ($75 USD) and 18 (didn't see the price). If it's been discontinued should I be picking some up to save (and a bottle to drink) and is the $75 a decent price?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
You can get a Glenlivit 18 in your neck of the woods at the Superstore Liquor for right around $80. They seem to have good deals whenever I stop in. You have to ask for it though as they keep it in the back.
Sobey's had this on sale earlier in December, $20 off so came out to about $72/btl. Awesome scotch for the price, I just cracked number, ahem....3, since mid-December. I like to try and make it last but it's just so danged hard.

My usual go-to is Dalwhinnie 15.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM

i was at a tasting here in GP last friday and they had 9 diff scotches to try.

I had been drinking Lagavulin 16. Started on that one when it was $60/bottle. Now that it's $105... I just can't.

At the tasting was a Highland Park 12yr. Wow! Until the next tasting, that's my new favourite! It came in at about $55/bottle. Not quite as peaty/smoky as the Lagavulin; but really nice! And just a bit of water (not ice) really opened it up nice for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM

McCallan 12+
Glenrothes is a good deal at Superstore
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Cool

One of our neighbors uses his baby JD tractor to tidy up our street after the city tries to clean off the ice. Lol I repay his kindness with a few drams . Last week was repayment night took over a 12 yr old rum . Well the guys a scoth nut after a few of my tasting eves. So our list last week .glen turret 15, talisker triple taster set, 12 , 18 and a special reserve 54.5% ABV. With a bottle of single cask JD . JD's was nice but the skinny kid on the pitch. must say the talisker18 really shone through. dont remember much after the special reserve's second glass.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Anyone in edmonton check out the whisk(e)y festival last week?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM

Bunnahabhain
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Bunnahabhain
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Drinking a bottle of Kilchoman now and it's pretty good
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Well, went to another lovely tasting at Vintage last night with a friend. Don't have time to do a thorough review, but had some great whisky on the menu. Got to try the new Black Arts, was extremely good but the price point was too prohibitive for me ($340)...the new Highland Park Valkyrie was fantastic, about double the peat that they normally use. Absolutely loved it. My favorite of the night though was the Arran Smuggler's Volume 3, Exciseman. Just fantastic, beautiful whisky, the only sad part was I was only able to get one bottle. There were 8 to sell, and one was 'extra', but I lost a tense round of paper rock scissors and had to watch two bottles walk out with another gent. *Sigh*. I'm going to try and track one down to put away, as the one I have is going to get opened. So good....

https://www.arranwhisky.com/about/ne...-the-exciseman