Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Default How to remove fireplace mantel

We are putting bricks around our fireplace and would like to remove the mantel. The thing won't budge. Any ideas on how to remove this thing? I've tried pushing it up, down and side to side.. figured it was like one of those ikea shelves but we've had no luck.

Thanks
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM

If it is a newer house it has a backer board that has most likely been PL'd in place and screwed. The only way to get off will cause significant damage to the wall.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:14 PM

?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:15 PM

What's the mantle made from? What's the wall construction? Pics?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 PM

might be mounted on pins or rods. Did you try pulling straight out ?

Grizz
Old 05-15-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
If it is a newer house it has a backer board that has most likely been PL'd in place and screwed. The only way to get off will cause significant damage to the wall.
PL'd? Glued?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
What's the mantle made from? What's the wall construction? Pics?
It's a maple mantel on drywall. We've got the whole thing removed except for the top horizontal piece... Used a magnet and found that there is metal along the bottom..

It looks like the wood goes into the wall the whole way across except for about 12 inches on either side.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 PM

Leave mantel in place, there I have just saved you a thousand bucks and a heck of a mess, although I am partial to a bit of sledge hammer action myself.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
might be mounted on pins or rods. Did you try pulling straight out ?

Grizz
Tried that, no luck
Old 05-15-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Leave mantel in place, there I have just saved you a thousand bucks and a heck of a mess, although I am partial to a bit of sledge hammer action myself.
Too late, we have the bottom of the mantel destroyed and removed. All that is left is a horizontal piece that is sticking out of the wall..
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Too late, we have the bottom of the mantel destroyed and removed. All that is left is a horizontal piece that is sticking out of the wall..
Happy swinging then
Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Happy swinging then
lol, oh boy!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:38 PM

The wood appears to go into the wall where the two chisels are placed on the mantel.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Cut that drywall away, a new sheet is cheap!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Cut that drywall away, a new sheet is cheap!
Prolly what I'm gonna have to do.. What a pain in the butt this thing is! I don't know what they expect people to hold on this thing... I was doing chin ups on it! like a boss lol
Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 PM

If I recall, building code says a suspended fireplace mantel should hold up to 250 lbs.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
If I recall, building code says a suspended fireplace mantel should hold up to 250 lbs.
That's nuts.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
That's nuts.
Yep, that's a lot of fully loaded Christmas stockings!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 PM

sawzall the shelf, smooth out the remains.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
sawzall the shelf, smooth out the remains.
Ya, I just looked in behind and the board goes in about 2 feet! Gonna have to saw that badboy off!