Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 10:07 AM

Default Iron therapy is good for the soul.

Hobbies are always good therapy, I find myself spending a lot of time in the shop these days. I’ve always enjoyed restoring old iron, here is the latest project I’m just finishing. A real 69 RS / SS L-78 numbers car with documentation.

Any one else playing with old iron this winter or care to share some iron pictures ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1894.jpg (24.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:26 AM

Default Iron Hobby

My son rebuilds Kennworth/Peterbuilt trucks as his Iron Hobby. He just finished the Smokey/Bandit truck including the trailer with the stagecoach on the side. His present project is rebuilding the Smokey Firebird,changing motor to a reboared 450 unit.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM

here is a 59 Dodge pickup I have been working on. Sitting on a modern chassis with an EFI 5.9 and O/D trans. Leaving the crusty look on the outside and going to drive it every day. Just need an exhaust system and it will be ready for the road.
BTW these are not the wheels and tires that I will be going with. Just rollers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240219_153715.jpg (74.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:07 AM

I've been working on a 1974 F350 cab and chassis that I'm going to put a welding deck on. Plan was to just get it running but now I've got the bug and want to fix up the body and make it something to be proud of. We'll see how far I get. It's hard to believe that truck is 50 years old already.

Also working on a 1954 Husqvarna 1640 in 9.3 x 62. It would be easy to turn that project into a money pit also.

I hired a neighbor to help put a new hand brake in a 574 International tractor which turned out to be a bigger job than I expected. I'm planning to fix all of the leaks and try to get it looking newish again.

It's not old iron but I have a 2008 Toyota FJ that we just retired as a daily driver and I'd like to fix it up someday.

Had a 1996 Peterbilt 379 that I got talked out of a few years ago and have kicked myself ever since. I really wish I had kept it as it was in pretty good shape and would have been easy to make into a very nice truck.

I'd like to find an old 6C or 7E dozer.

I've got lots of projects on the go; the only things holding me back are time and money.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-28-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My son rebuilds Kennworth/Peterbuilt trucks as his Iron Hobby. He just finished the Smokey/Bandit truck including the trailer with the stagecoach on the side. His present project is rebuilding the Smokey Firebird,changing motor to a reboared 450 unit.
Nice to hear the younger crowd is building big trucks, the Firebird will be a cool addition to the truck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunt View Post
here is a 59 Dodge pickup I have been working on. Sitting on a modern chassis with an EFI 5.9 and O/D trans. Leaving the crusty look on the outside and going to drive it every day. Just need an exhaust system and it will be ready for the road.
Nice build, the truck looks awesome. Going with the modern drivetrain will reward you in many trouble free miles, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:33 AM

Default Iron hobby

If anyone is interested in his truck pictures or Utube shows he is under 'Twin stick garage.' He has a major following all over the world.
Sled, I had a 68 Comaro/327, would love to rebuild it.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 02-28-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:25 PM

If i had the space i would restore a old cab over kenworth.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Hobbies are always good therapy, I find myself spending a lot of time in the shop these days. I’ve always enjoyed restoring old iron, here is the latest project I’m just finishing. A real 69 RS / SS L-78 numbers car with documentation.

Any one else playing with old iron this winter or care to share some iron pictures ?
I would love to see more pics of this restoration project. How long have you been working on it? What all have you done to it? Is it a full frame off?
What are your plans for it? Keep it or sell it?
'69 is my favorite year of old muscle cars. Hemi's, Camaro's, Mustangs, Vettes, GTO's, Chevelles... love them all.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:59 PM

If any are looking for projects, I've got a few old trucks that should be restored that I'm trying to sell for the farm

One is a 79 J20 Jeep
Another is a Austin pick up truck from the 40s we figure
There's a pontiac laurentian that partially burned. There's good trim, the engine compartment wasn't burned, and I'd bet the read end is still good. Going at fire sale prices for the whole car.
Got a 70 Dodge A500 with a grain box. Believe it had an upgraded 360 put into it by grandpa.
Got a few others here. There's a bunch of old tractors and other misc machinery.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I would love to see more pics of this restoration project. How long have you been working on it? What all have you done to it? Is it a full frame off?
What are your plans for it? Keep it or sell it?
'69 is my favorite year of old muscle cars. Hemi's, Camaro's, Mustangs, Vettes, GTO's, Chevelles... love them all.
Complete restoration. Original car from Ontario that was rough but complete. I’m near five years on this car, took a few break as I have other projects going too. I keep all my old iron, always enjoyed the muscle cars and lucky enough to have a few in the stable. Here is the engine bay. Car is a 4 speed as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1895.jpg (49.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
If anyone is interested in his truck pictures or Utube shows he is under 'Twin stick garage.' He has a major following all over the world.
Sled, I had a 68 Comaro/327, would love to rebuild it.
I watched a couple of his videos, he does nice work and has a passion for his build. You should be proud !

To bad you sold the Camaro, they sure have gained in value over the years. How can't you love the first gen's.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I really like the show. The 73 kenworth was my favorite. I'm not into show trucks that are so modified that they can't really be used anymore but that 73 was a cool truck. 70s and 80s was the last of the good times in trucking and that kenworth is good example of that time period.
Because your son isn't a professional and is doing it at home in spare time makes the show much better. He learns as he goes a long and shows his mistakes which is great. He is also sourcing parts from Alberta which adds to it.
Little by little is his motto and its a great one. I watch his show as I'm trying to get going in the morning and it gets me motivated to get out working at my own stuff.
I don't like fake show trucks but was tempted to drive all day to Lemsco truck show just to see Marks kenworth.
You should be really proud of your son.
I also used to like his on the hunt videos
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
That's a real eye catcher. I suspect not many 59 dodge fleet sides around. How did you end up with a 59 dodge?
What year make of chassis did you sit it on? I suspect a lot of work making your own mounts?
Old 02-29-2024, 08:33 AM

Great pics and thanks for sharing. Some envious of your work space!!!! In my dreams.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I think that wouldnt qualify as a mancave. more like a man mansion! er I mean alphabet soup cave

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-29-2024, 08:41 AM

Yes that is a beautiful shop Sledhead71. I enjoy working on projects too but have to spend most of my time working on my semis and equipment in my shop. I have a 1980 C10 that I would like to get started on.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I've been working on a 1974 F350 cab and chassis that I'm going to put a welding deck on. Plan was to just get it running but now I've got the bug and want to fix up the body and make it something to be proud of. We'll see how far I get. It's hard to believe that truck is 50 years old already.

Also working on a 1954 Husqvarna 1640 in 9.3 x 62. It would be easy to turn that project into a money pit also.

I hired a neighbor to help put a new hand brake in a 574 International tractor which turned out to be a bigger job than I expected. I'm planning to fix all of the leaks and try to get it looking newish again.

It's not old iron but I have a 2008 Toyota FJ that we just retired as a daily driver and I'd like to fix it up someday.

Had a 1996 Peterbilt 379 that I got talked out of a few years ago and have kicked myself ever since. I really wish I had kept it as it was in pretty good shape and would have been easy to make into a very nice truck.

I'd like to find an old 6C or 7E dozer.

I've got lots of projects on the go; the only things holding me back are time and money.
What is in the 74?

There is a utube show called just a few acres. He is really into restoration of IH tractors. You should check him out. Some shows are about farming but a ton of them are all I H.

I love cat dozers and loaders from 70s and 80s. I don't know what's wrong with me. I really want a bulldozer and I really have no work for one.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Yes that is a beautiful shop Sledhead71. I enjoy working on projects too but have to spend most of my time working on my semis and equipment in my shop. I have a 1980 C10 that I would like to get started on.
The square bodies sure have a great following these days. I have a 70 and installed the 72 front clip. I’m currently working on an 81 C10 4x4 shorty with a four speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1897.jpg (31.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The square bodies sure have a great following these days. I have a 70 and installed the 72 front clip. I’m currently working on an 81 C10 4x4 shorty with a four speed.
I can't get over the prices of the 67 to 72s. Even square bodies are nuts. I bought a 86 4x4 short box wrangler that needed nothing but paint was tired and usual rust cab corners etc. I paid 4500 . I didn't keep it because I wanted long bed one ton 4x4 but wholely crap this wasn't that long ago and prices are insane now. But look what new plastic trucks cost so I guess old trucks are a deal. I see fixed up square bodies selling for 50,000 . that's over double than what they cost brand new back in 80s.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
That's a real eye catcher. I suspect not many 59 dodge fleet sides around. How did you end up with a 59 dodge?
What year make of chassis did you sit it on? I suspect a lot of work making your own mounts?
I found the 59 in a barn west of Leduc. Its sitting on a 2000 dodge dakota chassis. It has been a few years in the making. Its gonna be nice to finally be able to drive it after all the work.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I found the 59 in a barn west of Leduc. Its sitting on a 2000 dodge dakota chassis. It has been a few years in the making. Its gonna be nice to finally be able to drive it after all the work.
The wheels seem to be very centered to the body. Did it just happen to line up or did you modify something?
Old 02-29-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I can't get over the prices of the 67 to 72s. Even square bodies are nuts. I bought a 86 4x4 short box wrangler that needed nothing but paint was tired and usual rust cab corners etc. I paid 4500 . I didn't keep it because I wanted long bed one ton 4x4 but wholely crap this wasn't that long ago and prices are insane now. But look what new plastic trucks cost so I guess old trucks are a deal. I see fixed up square bodies selling for 50,000 . that's over double than what they cost brand new back in 80s.
The market for these trucks is strong, cost of rebuilding them is out of the world as well... I feel sorry for those who contract most of their project to others, crazy how fast the $$$ add up. Some feel the market will correct itself when the older generation passes on, I feel opposite as around the globe many are taking notice of the American muscle / iron and prices will increase even more IMO.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:

That's a fantastic shop!!