Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default Flies for trolling.

I dont do alot of fly trolling but that method has been producing realy well for me this year. Even on days where other methods are only producing the odd fish I often enjoy some good action trolling the flies. Just wondering what more experienced guys are trolling. Although I do catch fish on the same little nymphs I would fish normaly my best producing flies seem to be flies I'd never realy think of fishing any other ways. Some are streamers, and some are a variation of a wooly bugger but lots of them look like somthing you'd find in a Crappy tire value pack, always a size or 4 bigger than I'd normaly throw out. So... what are your favorite flies for trolling?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM

If you are trolling use a streamer or minnow immitation.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Default flies for trolling.

My favorite go to fly for trolling is a black Doc Spratley. I've caught many, many, rainbows on this pattern. I normally use size 10 on a full sink fly line. If you're using spinning gear, put a split shot 3 feet up from the fly, and away you go. Play with weight sizes, to get it near the bottom. This works great, especially if they are eating minnows. Giving the fly a few jerks to make it look more realistic doesn't hurt either. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Willow leaf

Willow leaf +18" of line wollybugger 52 Buick or a black fly looks like a leach.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
My favorite go to fly for trolling is a black Doc Spratley.
This or a blood leech. Great searching patterns, when exploring a new lake.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
This or a blood leech. Great searching patterns, when exploring a new lake.
I bought a couple Doc Spratlys today. It seems like I have the best luck with somthing of a dark or natural color but with just a little bit of color, I saw some black doc spratlys with red bodys at my local Crappy tire and figured I'd try them.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM

i like woolley buggers,usually olive with and with out a beaded head.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM

mudler minnow
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM

I have some go to epoxy headed minnow patterns i fish alot and of course a leach pattern and of course a variant of diffrent flies depending on time of year and where but if i could only have one fly it would be a wooley bugger and in green i tie them from forest green to olive green with flashabou to bead heads to mixture of colors green with some brown blended in or even gold depending on clarity of water and how bright of a day it is...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy198 View Post
i like woolley buggers,usually olive with and with out a beaded head.
X2, troll slowly

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
My favorite go to fly for trolling is a black Doc Spratley.
X2....it's a hard fly to beat for trolling.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Green Doc Spratley for me, I got into two Brook Trout at Maligne Lake in June 1984 both were over 9 pounds and the female weight in at 12#13oz so i am partial to that hook but also have used red/olive/black.

Also many other streamers from Micky Finns too Mudler Minnows/Wooly Buggers/Careys specials /Idaho Nymphs/Dragonfly Nymphs/Leachs patterns/Bucktail patterns

also we use Williams Worblers as a flasher and put swivels on both sides then a streamer fly/hot shot behind at 12 inches to 4 feet(depends how clear water is) when trolling and about 100 ft out ,,,you can experiment as to how far out u want to be and speeds we fish 2.1 to 3 km works ok..

just got a 15 inch Cutthroat yesterday using Williams and a Green Doc trolling back to boat launch at Muskiki

Food for Thought
David
Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 PM

I am extremely new to fly fishing so sorry if this is a silly question. When trolling flies are we talking dry flies? Wet flies with a strike indicator or sinking line? I really want to start targeting some bigger trout at Muir and I heard going deep is the best
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
I am extremely new to fly fishing so sorry if this is a silly question. When trolling flies are we talking dry flies? Wet flies with a strike indicator or sinking line? I really want to start targeting some bigger trout at Muir and I heard going deep is the best
Usually it's streamers or nymphs.... dry flies will sink if you troll them. Sinking line works better for trolling if you asked me.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post

A trout feeds subsurface 90 percent of the time.......and feeds on chroidmoids up 60 percent of the time depending on the food base in the lake......so just think about it this way fish are feeding most of the time down deeper then 6 feet so go deep young man
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM

email icky flys and ask him what is the most popular fly is hummmmm my bets are wooley bugger any other guess
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Default flies for trolling.

52 Buick is also a great trolling fly.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM

buggers. crystal beadheads in black, brown and olive. troll in big lazy s's. you'll find most strikes will come when your line tightens up coming out of a turn and your bug comes up the water column from the bottom. hang on.

Dace
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
email icky flys and ask him what is the most popular fly is hummmmm my bets are wooley bugger any other guess
As other folks have mentioned, carey's special, woolly buggers and spratleys are the most popular.

Lately a white bow river bugger in a size #6 either trolled or on a very slow retrieve has been the go to pattern. The walleye have been taking them eagerly and a couple days ago Joe pulled in a Manitoba crappie on this fly that was a 1/2" shy of the provincial record.

Cheers,
Ben