Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And the opposite is equally true. And I can guarantee you that if the loader isnt wrecking cases Lapua brass is way cheaper in the end.
The fact of the matter is Chuck, most guys can’t realize the inheirent precision of Lapua brass, so the rest is just lost on them.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-18-2018, 04:56 PM

And then there are those who don't get a choice about what brass we buy, depending on the cartridge it is for, some are only one brand is available, there is your only choice, love it or lump it.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I load for a 300 Win and a 7 Rem, I still use Win brass in both of them. It is still good brass, just not as good a Lapua and at near the same price I will take Lapua if they make the Cartridge I want. If you can't find Win, Sellier and Bellot as well as Privi makes it for both and like I said before I have had very good luck with both those brass makes too. We are after all talking hunting loads, not 1000 yard match ammo. Most brass will do the job.
I use Winchester brass in the 7mm, 300wm, and 338wm. Older brass though from the 80’s. deburing and uniforming the flashhole/ primer pocket is a must. I have tried privy in 300wm, would recommend if looking for new brass.
For some reason when I hunt with Lapua brass in 308,7-08, and have to fire more than one shot, I spend way to much time looking for the spent brass.. I know its worth only a dollar each lol. But it bothers me most of they day that lost a couple pieces of brass....OCD I guess.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 PM

I use Lapua whenever possible, but I do use Remington and Nosler with good results as well, when using cartridges that Lapua does not make cases for.. Winchester cases seem to have ready slipped in quality recently. Federal cases have been the worst I have used quality wise. I don't choose Lapua just for accuracy, but also because it seems to last longer than other brands.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The fact of the matter is Chuck, most guys can’t realize the inheirent precision of Lapua brass, so the rest is just lost on them.
The question revolved around “good brass”. My response was in relation to that question.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Brass

As with others, I have had great success with Lapua. I also really like the Nosler brass and to a lesser extent, Norma. The Norma is ok, but softer. I had really bad luck with Hornady brass from an accuracy point of view.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:09 PM
AO Sponsor

We sell, literally, a small truckload of Lapua brass every month. We have customers that will not do a build on a chambering if they cannot make their brass from lapua. A bit higher priced than the cheaper stuff but no higher on average than hornady. It may appear more but its normally in 100 ct vs 50 ct. Lapua seems to have great case life too.
https://store.prophetriver.com/reloa...s/brass/lapua/