Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Manitoba On The Fly

I was hell bent on getting to Manitoba to fish and we managed to make it happen. It was everything I had hoped it would be. If you haven't been, you must find a way to get there.....and bring a few poppers with ya. I caught smallies, a brown, and a few tigers on poppers and the hilight of the trip was a fat 20"+ tiger. I have no idea why Alberta doesn't have tiger trout or smallmouth bass, but untill it does I'll be making a few trips a year (minimum) to Manitoba.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Beautiful pictures! Nice healthy fish
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM

God i miss bass fishing!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Oh man I miss those Smallies and Tigers. I swear... When they finally legalize pulling ....three...53 footers down the highway between Saskatoon/Regina. And Regina /winnipeg........ I'm moving back. LoL.

Thanks for the post.....

And next time bring a good 8-10wt. And fish the Assiniboine or down by the spillway , downstream of Lockport........as when you find the Fish Fly's (told thats what they are called, big huuuuuuuge white mayflies) hatching .....channel cats will hit dry fly's!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Love those tigers!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM

where abouts in manitoba did you go to.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM

I miss bass too loved to go out on a clear night with a full moon lighting up the water. A bass would hit a popper and the lake would erupt .
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM

Mornin',
We were camping at Duck Mountain Prov Park just north of Roblin. Perch Lake has the bass (and browns) and there's a ton of other larger lakes that have splake, bows, brookies, browns, lakers, perch, pike, musky,and walleye.

I also snuck away to Twin Lake for a morning which was about an hour away. Persse was nextdoor to Twin and has browns and brookies but I never made it.

Catfish and musky are next on the list.....sometime, somewhere.

After this trip I have figured out two things: 1. I need to see more of Canada, the best goddamned country in the world 2. One day a smallmouth will be hanging on my wall
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 PM

The Flippr.ca website has information on the different lakes in the area. Lot's to choose from in the Parkland and the Duck Mountains. I just returned from a week there. The fishing was slow because of extended rain and cooler weather but I did manage to land 4 decent Tigers and a beautiful 22" Brown. Lots of Alberta licence plates - my friend from Winnipeg was often the only Manitoban on the water! Nice to be in a float tube without needing fleece under the waders!!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 AM

When I was posted to Shilo, we would zip up to Duck every chance we had. Smallies on the fly are a hoot! Evenings would see us rippin to Sandy Lake for walleye, Rivers if there wasn't much time......all on a fly. Life was simple back then.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAlta View Post
Mornin'

Catfish and musky are next on the list.....sometime, somewhere.

After this trip I have figured out two things: 1. I need to see more of Canada, the best goddamned country in the world 2. One day a smallmouth will be hanging on my wall
Good luck on the musky. By far the hardest fish I have ever targeted, so if u do go, prepair for a tough trip, well worth it if you do get into some.
My bro and I just got back from Lake of the Woods fishing for musky, 31 hours on the lake probably over 3000 casts, and 2 fish. 40incher and a MONSTER 49 incher. They were so hard to get to bite, we had the 40incher follow our figure 8 for at least 5 minutes to no avail. Then came back on her to get her on the figure 8 the 2nd time. You would count your follows to see how your day was going, not fish landed like over here,. Lol. *nd make sure you bring 12-16 inch baits to cast. Gives one a true workout. Hahaha.