Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Default First Time Fly Fisher, New to forum

Hello Everyone, first time on the forum. I just finally got myself a fly rod and all the wonderful tackle and gear. Really want to try out the Bow River and some streams on the Forestry trunk road. Been practicing alot with the fly rod in the yard and think I'm ready to try on the river. My question is should I use a dry fly or a wet fly? and what would be a good fly to try? Been doing alot of reading but nothing that i have read is specific to the Bow River. Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have bought alot of different flys both wet and dry. Been told tying your own flies is the way to go but i think i will hold off on tying my own until i have a better knowledge of this.
Thanks so much
Brian
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!

One place to get bow river fly selections is from one of the forum sponsors...Icky Flyworks.....click on the titlebar and see what "grab packs" they have.

LC
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Here here

Yeay LC is right on. Order some bugs from icky they are great flies and not very expensive (which is good, plan to lose some your first time out). I ask guys I see while out what flies are working, most Alberta fly fishers are more than willing to steer you in the right direction. Have fun and be patient!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Thanks alot guys. went on their website and it was alot of help. Hope the girlfriend doesn't see my credit card statement this month!!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Get jim mclennan bow river book. Fish tales should have it, that will give a bunch of info and so will fly fishing western streams... Jim mclennan again.