Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Default Poaching by Locals

We all hear about those city boys who go out to blast all that wildlife away every week-end.

Would anyone here agree that a lot of wildlife is poached by "the local talent" in our little rural communities?

I keep observing the deer populations on my little farm, and heaven forbid, I am starting to think my local community is worse than those "city boys" when it comes to dispatching a wild ungulate out of season.

Please: No offense to any of you guys or gals that live in larger urban areas.

Comments Please.

Thank-you
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM

I think wether its city boys or country boys, both groups have poachers, I would bet its about the same.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
We all hear about those city boys who go out to blast all that wildlife away every week-end.

Would anyone here agree that a lot of wildlife is poached by "the local talent" in our little rural communities?

I keep observing the deer populations on my little farm, and heaven forbid, I am starting to think my local community is worse than those "city boys" when it comes to dispatching a wild ungulate out of season.

Please: No offense to any of you guys or gals that live in larger urban areas.

Comments Please.

Thank-you
The local boys have an advantage over the city boys. They often know who owns the land and where they live and can check out the whereabouts of the owner before setting out. They also know the alternative routes to use.
I heard of poachers having someone keeping a watch on the whereabouts of the Wildlife officer when they were poaching, when I was in Newfoundland. I guess the same thing happens here.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Default local

the local country boys are worse. im not a city boy.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I think wether its city boys or country boys, both groups have poachers, I would bet its about the same.
Yah I wouldn't be putting this on any one group..

Only difference is is some of those old country boys don't consider it poaching,, its just the way they have hunted for years,, even before some government decided it wasn't the way they figured it should be done,, imagine that !!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

I dont think in general the local guys are worse(at least in my area). I know of some that have taken some rather large trophies out of places the werent supposed to be and a few have recycled their tag but in general the poaching and such in our area is not locals. Alot of the problems we have in our area is the large influx of hunters from other areas. On a weekend here in Nov. local hunters will be out numbered 100 to 1 at least. Trust me our locals arent angels by anymeans and we have a few real bad apples that have a long rap sheet but if you lump all the hunters here together the locals for sure are the minority of the poachers.
SG
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM

a few of the older fellas call it Homesteader Season, I think it would be about the same, locals might be smarter about it.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM

If a tree falls in the forest and none is around to see/ hear it does it make a sound ???

How many rural guys have been caught for poaching on there own property??? not many I'm sure! Locals tend to stick together more, you hear about how they don't like what the neighbor does. But ,they never turn them in, cause you never know when you might need them.

If every offence was caught , and charged , I'm sure the number would pretty even !
Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 PM
sheephunter

Ya, the odds are definitely stacked against the city poachers for getting caught. From my experience, poachers know no geographic bounds.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 PM

I have a lot of cousins up north that think nothing of filling the freezer in mid july. Like someone mentioned before, its kind of the way it was and the way it still is for them. I have found myself, a city boy i guess, a lot more concious of regulations then my cousins when I go out and hunt with them. I still remember one of laughing at me because I didn't want to shoot a chicken because I didn't have my license lol.

The locals know the laws of the land though and seem to be aware of what is acceptable in the community rather then the rules and regulations necessarily. I would hate to lump anyone as worse then the other, both camps obviously have their losers!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm about as country as anyone can be.

I wish it weren't true but I'm quite sure it is. Country boys, do more poaching but don't get caught as often. At least as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, it seems to me that more of the most law abiding and friendly hunters I have encountered or hunted with, were country boys/men.
Maybe because of where I live. I can say, I have also had the pleasure of hunting with some very fine hunters who had been born and had lived all of their lives in the city.

For me, the bottom line is, good hunters come from all environments.
City, country, whatever. But when it comes to poaching, more country boys, do it. Maybe not by a huge margin, but I'm confident it's more.

Maybe it's because they have more opportunity. Whatever the reason. I'm not happy about it.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

I hate to say it but many of the jet boaters I've met on my canoe trips are pretty open about bending the rules. Obviously not all jet boaters poach, but when the chances of getting caught are pretty close to zero people who are prone to breaking the rules when it suits them can develope some bad habits.

A few things that a fair number of jet boaters I've met on the river have shamelessly admitted to.

Shooting swimming game

Using the jet boat to chase or herd game. Met one pair who's main stratigy was to run a boat up either side of the islands and shoot animals when they made a break for shore.

Keeping illegal fish.

Once again I would like to stress that I am in no way acusing everyone who owns a jetboat of poaching, just stating some observations.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Default poaching

I agree that most of the poaching is by locals. they learn the area and pattern f&g. we can help by watching,and listening....and reporting! Wheather, they are local, or out of towners.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I wish it weren't true but I'm quite sure it is. Country boys, do more poaching but don't get caught as often. At least as far as I can tell.

But when it comes to poaching, more country boys, do it. Maybe not by a huge margin, but I'm confident it's more.

Maybe it's because they have more opportunity.
X2 I agree. It doesn't take much to walk out back and shoot something whether you have a tag or not or if it's not in season. It could be just a chicken but out of season it would still be poaching. How about shooting yotes before or after legal light?

There are many scenarios but if someone wanted to poach something who is more likely to do it?:

#1 - A guy comes across a big bull or buck while out hunting but he doesn't have a tag. He's 100+ kms from home and doesn't have an intimate knowledge of the area or who lives nearby. If he poaches it he'll have to get it out of the bush, loaded on a truck (hopefully unseen) and transport an untagged moose the 100+ kms home.

#2 - A guy sees a big bull or buck in his backyard but has no tag for it. You can't see his backyard from the road and he knows all his neighbours. All that he'd have to do is drag it to an outbuilding.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Banned

i bet percentage wise its about the same. people are people and every group has its dummies.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Are we talking about billy shooting a meat doe off the back porch for his dad and not tagging it? To me that's not real poaching, that's "selective and discretionary" harvest and lets not hear "YEAH BUT ITS STILL AGAINST THE LAW!!1111" lol

Or are we talking about nighttime righttime case of beer driving around the alfalfa and dropping big bucks? Because I don't care what anyone says, the local boys have way more opportunity and affinity to this sort of thing than any city hunter. They can do it every night if they want.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntercentral View Post
Are we talking about billy shooting a meat doe off the back porch for his dad and not tagging it? To me that's not real poaching, that's "selective and discretionary" harvest and lets not hear "YEAH BUT ITS STILL AGAINST THE LAW!!1111" lol
I know that it goes on and for the most part allot of people in the country couldn't care less about it. People have a different mentality in the country. I was with one older fella awhile back and he flat out told me that if he wanted to shoot a deer on his land he'd do it whether he had a tag or not. My experience is that that sort of thing is somewhat tolerated.

What's not tolerated is someone that makes a pig of himself and takes more than he needs.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 AM

I went to school with a few country boys, there was some "accidentally spilt oats" at the tree line right out side the kitchen window, who ever was in the kitchen would take the shot mom, dad, brother it didnt matter, when they were out of meat they shot it, "never tagged an animal in my life why start now" type of rederict. I did not hunt then and did not know any better, it was there land and I thought it was their right. Because they sure did. I believe that there are many still with this belief.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
I went to school with a few country boys, there was some "accidentally spilt oats" at the tree line right out side the kitchen window, who ever was in the kitchen would take the shot mom, dad, brother it didnt matter, when they were out of meat they shot it, "never tagged an animal in my life why start now" type of rederict. I did not hunt then and did not know any better, it was there land and I thought it was their right. Because they sure did. I believe that there are many still with this belief.
This is not the same thing as a people going out in the evening on someone else's land, and shooting four or five deer, mind you!
I have witnessed local people heading out when we were heading in, shots WAY after legal light, and and other unsavoury stuff like that.
However, a farmer taking a deer off his land because he is out of meat is a bit different in my books, but not in the eyes of the law, of course!
Cat
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
However, a farmer taking a deer off his land because he is out of meat is a bit different in my books, but not in the eyes of the law, of course!
Cat
Do they give away landowner tags for free? Not sure on that program.

I have no issue with Buford shooting one meat doe for Ma and Pa on their land without a tag and I honestly think the majority have no issue with it either, unless you're the fish cops I suppose. The number of Bufords shooting a meat doe pales in comparison to the number of deer hit on the highways every year.

A tag is a formality, what is it other than a piece of paper? Does the animal care if he has an orange piece of paper on him after he's STONE COLD DEAD! No. They are meant to keep people honest, that's all. And to control the masses and appease the people living with the misconception that all things in the world are perfect and everything always works.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Funny, most of the time I read about convictions, in the paper, It's some guy from the big city. I guess the locals have a better idea of what game is around and no doubt, somebody may do a little poaching, but let's not get carried away here.

Grizz
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Poaching by anyone gives hunters a bad name. In todays day and age no one is going to starve if they don't pop a doe and fill the freezer, many people prefer wild meat, it is leaner and organic, but why would you chance the head aches of getting caught rather than spend the money on a tag? For the price of a tray of steaks at the grocery store you get a lot more meat. As far as the "Trophy Poachers" go they come from everywhere and may get away with it for a long time and never get caught, once again anyone that decides to hunt contrary to the law has to be prepared for the consequences; fines, lawyer fees, vehicle/equipment seizures, loss of the animal, and licence suspensions. Not to mention the brand that goes along with a conviction. What's the old saying - "you can build a thousand bridges but you ***** one goat...."
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 AM

In my area I would bet the locals do more poaching than non-locals...for reasons already covered, ie/ Bill knows Fred is combining over on that quarter so no one will ever know if Bill shoots a deer on this quarter...

my only issue with non-locals is a couple I have run into have given me the crook eye and questioned me who I got permission from and if I am allowed to be where I am. There's nothing wrong with asking those questions...just do it respectfully.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
However, a farmer taking a deer off his land because he is out of meat is a bit different in my books,
Cat

Well I just ate the last package of deer meat in my freezer from the deer I shot last year, so I guess I'm out of meat. Shouldn't be a problem if I go out and pop a doe, even though it's three weeks until rifle season opens around home? Oh wait, I live in town now so I guess I can't do that. Damn!! Sorry Cat, but I'd have to disagree with you. Just because a deer happens to walk across someone's land doesn't make him any less of a poacher if he shoots it out of season. If he's that hungry he should go to the food bank.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
If he's that hungry he should go to the food bank.
He did
Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Hate to break it to some folks, but if you live 80 miles from Calgary it's probably not "city boys" poaching your deer. There's more than enough right around here if laws aren't a concern to you. I walk right by them when I walk the dog. I see them when I drive home from work in Calgary to Okotoks. A city poacher doesn't need to drive across the city and two hours out into the country to find game.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Locals who do it, and for the most part are very successful at avoiding detection or suspicion, heck who wants to rat out their neighbor who some day you may need to get to help you, or from whom you may need a favor. Often the attitude of it's on my place, it's mine do with what I want, mind set prevails also, and therefore it becomes excepted behaviour in the community. Much like saying it's only a deer, or a moose, or what ever, and I fed it all summer etc. etc.

Non locals who have no intimate knowledge or resources to pull off concealment of a impulsiveor not so impulsive act, are more prone to get caught and charged.

Pretty simple to see how the city folks may be getting branded un fairly by their "country cousins."

It goes on and unless someone is willing to risk getting ostercized in their own community, don't expect big changes.

For the fellow who no one knows and or may never meet again, well, the jig is up.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Well i know some country boys that put meat in the freezer with out a tag., I rather see that than the so called gut shoot them and let them go off and die which I know goes on.

I once herad an CO say if a man cant buy meat why not take an animal off his land ( thats not like a poacher) Seems like mixed feelings here?????

Poaching to me is out with lights and guns looking for the monsters. I know some that take a doe for camp meat, poaching to me but who iam I so say.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM

We had a local poach an elk a few years back, on our place, out in your neck of the woods Dick.

Someone else (a neighbor) seen them out in the field after dark and called it in. We noticed lights out in the field a couple of hours later only to find that it was F&W waiting beside an abandoned truck.

We waited with F&W for a couple of more hours until the perps came walking back to get the (borrowed) truck. It was one local guy and a couple of fellas from out east. When I say a local guy I mean he lived in Drayton so he wasn't one of the neighbors but from town. Nearly everyone knows and works all around the back country in DV.

I think they lost their rifles and hunting privileges for 5 years or so.

Had it been me that seen them out there, I don't know if I would have called them in or not.

I did call a guy in for trying to chase a moose off of our posted land with a plane. He had a ground crew in radio contact. Now thats over the line in my books.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM

http://www.gamewarden.ab.ca/archive/archns7.htm

Defenitly the locals are the worst of the bunch , and usualy the ones that report the most , or complain the loudest are the worst poachers themselves because they hate compation, kinda like our government dont steel or rob or lie because the government hates compation
http://www.gamewarden.ab.ca/archive/archns7.htm