Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Default thanks to a fellow hunter

so me a a couple friends decided to go out hunting on the weekend for elk. we found an excelent spot on a river bank and decided to sneek in with the wind in our favor and sit and do a little calling. the spot we chose was about 3km's in the bush on a main pipeline where we thought no one would bother to go. we walked in and posted in 3 different spots so each of us could see each other and see in different directions. my calling ability was so good that i called in another hunter from across the river. he walked closer and closer untill i stood up so he could see me at about 300 yards. this fine hunter had a look, disapointed i was not an elk and turned around and left the area. we did not get an elk but a group of 3 white tail bucks came out to about 130 yards away and we were happy to bring one home. a little respect goes a long way in the field. now this hunter did not have to walk away but if i walk up on another hunter i give the same amount of respect and look for another area.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

I agree, there is nothing more irratating than a ruined hunt because of a disrespectful hunter.

Just this past holiday Monday I was going to check out some fields on crown land, accessable by a sweet dirt road thru some mixed willow and poplar stands, really good for ruffies. The road dead ended at the fields, about 3 or 4 kms in. Well, we're driving slowly in, saw one ruffie, my brother fired at it with the .22 and missed ( ) it flew away, so we keep going. All of a sudden in the rear view here comes a Jeep fast, and I mean fast, keep in mind this is a narrow dirt road, and he comes RIGHT UP TO MY BUMPER, and just stays there. Now this is crown land, so no land owner problems, and he wasn't making any motions to stop me. When I get to the first field I pull over, hoping to have a chat with the guy, he gives a causal wave, and takes off ahead of me!!! I was so ****ed off. That, in my opinion, is an arrogant disrespectful fellow hunter. I should have chased him down, who knows, he probably had an animal on the ground and was returning with a freshly purchased tag and was in a hurry to get there before me.

Either way, I can't stand this type of thing, thankfully I hunt a lot of private land and don't run into this situation too often.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Monday my son and I were out with the two dogs hunting ruffies.
We came up on a gravel trail, and were working back toward the truck when we heard some dirt bikes coming up fast behind us!
I yelled to my son to grab Louie and I tethered Jacob, and we went down on one knee with the dogs, guns open.
The bikes saw us and stopped and I could see they were thinking of changing direction to go up and around us.
However, when I waved at them to come ahead, they started up the bikes and came up the trail, but slowly so as not to disturb too much dust or the dogs. As they came through each one nodded to us both and waved, and I tipped my hat back. They didn't throttle up until they were well past us.
Sure is nice to be able to share the bush with respectful kids - these fellas were all pretty young!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-13-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Last year on my 20 acre patch of harvested oats. I am watching a little 2 point wt and about 10 does, I am watching them hoping that a bigger buck will come out to visit. Next thing I hear is a pickup come bouncing down the trail towards me, I figure great. The guy and his 3 buddies, stop, look at me sitting in the grass with gun in hand. Don't even wave or acknowledge that I am there, just look at me, then charge off across the field towards the little buck. Of course the deer all run off and BUBBA comes back towards me. So I figure he might have had a change of heart and apologies, but nope just keeps on a truckin' and roars off up the hill, in search of more deer to scare...Sometimes it would be nice to put a hole through the back window of red pickup trucks.

Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 10-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Banned

I was driving into a cut block on a little skinny de-activated logging road when I came across a guy in a quad coming out.I imediatly stopped and started backing up a half K to a turn around spot.Azzhead ran his rig right up to my front bumper like he was going to push me.I waved him off but he ignored it and stayed within an inch of my shiny new truck.When I got to a wider spot I turned to back out of his way and he gunned his quad and touched my front bumper on his way by.Man those 5.3 Vortek engines sure do have a lot of power,I spun it around and was on his azz for over a mile and I mean ON HIS AZZ!He kept looking over his shoulder and you could see the fear in his eyes.When we hit the main road he cranked to the left and damn near rolled it.I stopped,told the wife to quit yelling at me and turned right.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Default some hunters

Last year the wife and I were sitting on an old oilfield road watching two cutlines having lunch. Low and behold joe hunter comes down the same road and pulls right up beside us shuts his truck off and starts "SCOPING" the same cutlines we are watching What can you do, NOTHING this person has a gun and who's to say what he will do.
I have had one hunter scream at me because I took her spot, she said it was her spot she hunted it last year. I left that spot went around the corner sat on the fist line I saw and BOOM 4x4 whitetail down. I try to be respectful of other hunters when I come across them. If I see them down a road that I know is a dead end, I turn around and go some where else. I wish more people would respect other hunters when they come across them!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM

I got one for this topic, Last season A buddy and myself were sitting on a cut block. We had our truck parked at the entrance of the road so it very obvious that we were in there. So after about an hour of sitting on a pile of deadfall in the middle of the cutblock a young wt buck walks out. We watched him feed for about five minutes when out of nowhere a pickup speeds around our parked truck and three guys jump out and proceed to fire three shots at this buck in our general direction. Us absolutely stunned approach the guys as they go approach their "prize" and simple asked them what they where thinking!!!!! Their response floored me they said " we haven't seen a deer all day, and we didn't think anyone was in here so what would you have done?" What would I have done!!! haha shocked. Now we had no intention of shooting this deer this wasn't the issue, the issue was the fact that they showed a complete lack of respect for the safety of other hunters in the area! Funny part is we saw this group the next day and they proceeded to flag us down as if nothing had happened!
Really makes a guy stop and think about the safety and realize how every year hunting "accidents" take place, when really they can be avoided with nothing more then a little common sense.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 PM

I remember one hunter we ran into well 2 actually, dad and I have been hunting hard 3 days, walking 20km in the morning 10km at night basically everyday. Looking for a muley doe. We went to this alfalfa feild that the farmer told us to look (we were camped with him and he hunted with us) and we went to the feild were only our group had permission... We finally find a doe after being 2 hours there... im in blaze orange, dad is in camo with orange gloves.. then 500 yards away were hear a truck... that was odd, then we see it turn onto the field and head right for us! A dodge dually, loud as can be.. Stops next to us.. (oh yea driving right through the crops) you guys see any elk? No but i said, i did see a deer i was about to try and shoot, oooh thats right you scared it away.. Then they just sit there in there truck watching us walk away.. Told the farmer he had a tresspasser but not sure if they showed up again..

While quadding with my friend, we know the area really well since we quad everyweekend for hours during the summer, we ran into some bird hunters when it first opened up, i saw him stopped he waved to me to come, so i go slowly up to him, he asked if ive seen many chickens in the area he was in, i said no but there is a different area, i told him a little chicken place were i always see them, and he told me of a nice moose place. <-- those are the hunters i like, not those road warriors (not calling them hunters.)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Same thing happened to my buddy this year, he was calling and getting responses when all of a sudden branches were cracking and he heard a big F_ _ _ Y_U!!! and the hunter got in his quad and took off ripping through the bush.