Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 AM

You must have poor binos for a 16 power scope to give you a better view.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 AM

I have been in the Mountains and foothills and tundra and plains and met guys with so much equipment it looked like they were making a movie. (had a chat, they weren't )

Bino's are for scouting and scanning...
You can certainly spend a lot of time looking at an animal, sizing it up, determining the shot, etc. I would not feel comfortable using a rifle for this

Once I have determined the animal is a taker, and scanned the fringes, then I put the rifle up, and even then, I still take a look at the fringes to ensure the shot is safe..if at this point you get scoped,.. very misfortunate.
The probablity will be pretty low, but exists..
Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Nearly 30 yrs. back I was young and inexperienced. looked down a cut line at what I thought was a moose. It was my Hunting partner,thank goodness I never pack a gun with a loaded chamber!. Went out the next day bought the only bino's I could afford,(about $35.00) 7x35 tasco.Since then I have upgraded numerous times,but never use a scope to Identify target. I became so anal that I have missed opportunities to harvest legal animals (3 point elk) by scanning them with bino's instead of scope when I know full well i'm looking at an elk. Oh well the critters gotta win occasionally!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM

I have hunted far from roads in the mountains and come across other people that you think would not be there. It is a lazy bad habit for some jerks not to pack in spotting scope or binos because a rifle scope is more convenient to use.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
At no point did I say I used my scope as a an identifer!! I carry a good st of binos and don't put my gun on nothing I have identified!! chill and take a pill DO YOU NOT THINK CARRYING APAIR OF BINOS AND A SPOTTING SCOPE AND AREALLY REALLY GOOD HUNTING SCOPE IS REPETATIVE!! iN THE MOUNTAINS WEIGHT IS EVERY THING 3 POUNDS IS HUGE WHEN YOUR HUMPING YOUR ASS OFF ALL DAY!!

oooo not 3 pounds, awww muffin, at least the ground doesnt erxplode and your quarry doesnt shoot back

quit whining or dont go into the backcontry
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Wow the guy says he has a set of binos but does not carry a spotting scope. Identifys the animal with his binos then uses his scope to ensure a clear shot. We all do this and we all can't say we don't.

I carry a set of binos to scan the area, but I also use my scope to check on things also, why because some times you can see with a set of binos what you can't see clearly with your scope.

Sorry if you use proper techniques when scanning the horizon with your rifle scope then you will have no round chambered, rifle on safe (if possible) and finger clear of the trigger and even to the extreme of no rounds in your magazine.
Or you will have a round chambered, bullets in the magazine, rifle on safe and finger clear of the trigger.
The important part of this whole situation is if you can PROPERLY IDENTIFY your target before removing the safety and pulling the trigger.
Yes I have been shot at by some nitwhit who thought animals wear bright red and blue in the forest. Needless to say he was very embarressed at his shooting skills.

But if I am to understand this correctly, you guys who heavily critizice do one of a few things,
1st you scan the horizon with your binos (for a wider field of view and easier use), you spot something so you use the spotting scope (for it's better magnification and steadiness at longer ranges), identify an animal it's range size and so on. You then pick up your rifle, sight in and make the shot. You do not however scan around your target prior to shooting to ensure it is all clear still. (because you have already done this with the binos and or spotting scope). And useing your rifle scope as a spotting scope is not acceptable because yuo do not point your rifle at anything you do nto intend to kill. .

2nd you use your binos to scan the area, identify a target, size, distance, safe etc, you then pick up your rifle take direct aim at the animal (not looking to see if it's bigger brother came out of the woods or if anyything has changed since switching to the rifle), aim take your shot.

3rd, you use your binos/spotting scope to scan the area, see a target you want to shoot, pick up your rifle, look through your scope (safety on bullet not chambered) identify the target take a quick look around to make sure the area between you and the animal and also beyond the animal has not changed since picking up and taking aim, chamber a round align sights in animal safety off and shoot.

I usually do not travel around (walk, stalk etc) with a round in the chamber (of my hunting rifle) for the simple fact Murphy strikes when we least expect it. I will chamber the round prior to identifying the animal between putting the binos down or after identifying the animal. I have lost a few prime shots but this is how I hunt. My buddys laugh at me but I know I won't be involved in a satistic.

If I am stationary in a blind I will have a round loaded safety on, and will do the same technique as above with my finger clearly clear of the trigger. But I will also be intently scanning the area prior to raising my rifle. Will not remove the safty or put my finger on the safty untill I am absolutley sure I am going to shoot the animal, (waiting for the right presentation).

Just my opinion
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

Boy, I've seen this topic turn into a chit show here and elsewhere real quick. And it's no wonder. Thus, I'll just leave it at: a scope is a sight, binocs and spotters are tools to identify stuff and look around. I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but I have looked at a deer through my scope and decided to pass....does that mean that I should have used my binocs instead? I think this is what the OP's intention was. The use of scope to determine "who is that yonder" definitely is another story.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Wow the guy says he has a set of binos but does not carry a spotting scope. Identifys the animal with his binos then uses his scope to ensure a clear shot. We all do this and we all can't say we don't.

I carry a set of binos to scan the area, but I also use my scope to check on things also, why because some times you can see with a set of binos what you can't see clearly with your scope.

Sorry if you use proper techniques when scanning the horizon with your rifle scope then you will have no round chambered, rifle on safe (if possible) and finger clear of the trigger and even to the extreme of no rounds in your magazine.
Or you will have a round chambered, bullets in the magazine, rifle on safe and finger clear of the trigger.
The important part of this whole situation is if you can PROPERLY IDENTIFY your target before removing the safety and pulling the trigger.
Yes I have been shot at by some nitwhit who thought animals wear bright red and blue in the forest. Needless to say he was very embarressed at his shooting skills.

But if I am to understand this correctly, you guys who heavily critizice do one of a few things,
1st you scan the horizon with your binos (for a wider field of view and easier use), you spot something so you use the spotting scope (for it's better magnification and steadiness at longer ranges), identify an animal it's range size and so on. You then pick up your rifle, sight in and make the shot. You do not however scan around your target prior to shooting to ensure it is all clear still. (because you have already done this with the binos and or spotting scope). And useing your rifle scope as a spotting scope is not acceptable because yuo do not point your rifle at anything you do nto intend to kill. .

2nd you use your binos to scan the area, identify a target, size, distance, safe etc, you then pick up your rifle take direct aim at the animal (not looking to see if it's bigger brother came out of the woods or if anyything has changed since switching to the rifle), aim take your shot.

3rd, you use your binos/spotting scope to scan the area, see a target you want to shoot, pick up your rifle, look through your scope (safety on bullet not chambered) identify the target take a quick look around to make sure the area between you and the animal and also beyond the animal has not changed since picking up and taking aim, chamber a round align sights in animal safety off and shoot.

I usually do not travel around (walk, stalk etc) with a round in the chamber (of my hunting rifle) for the simple fact Murphy strikes when we least expect it. I will chamber the round prior to identifying the animal between putting the binos down or after identifying the animal. I have lost a few prime shots but this is how I hunt. My buddys laugh at me but I know I won't be involved in a satistic.

If I am stationary in a blind I will have a round loaded safety on, and will do the same technique as above with my finger clearly clear of the trigger. But I will also be intently scanning the area prior to raising my rifle. Will not remove the safty or put my finger on the safty untill I am absolutley sure I am going to shoot the animal, (waiting for the right presentation).

Just my opinion
You have valid ideas but a spotting scope 90% of the time is used to scan,judge and determine whether legal at longer ranges. The use of a rifle scope for this purpose is not safe.
And yes many of us double check when we have decided to pull the trigger to make sure that the situation is still safe but that is after we have checked and double checked prior with the proper optics. To substitute a rifle scope for Bino's or a Spotter is just stupid no matter how you look at it.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Unless i'm reading 180's thread difrently than most i think he's making the final decision with his rifle. I think i do that every time i shoot and i don't think i'm the only one.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Boy, I've seen this topic turn into a chit show here and elsewhere real quick. And it's no wonder. Thus, I'll just leave it at: a scope is a sight, binocs and spotters are tools to identify stuff and look around. I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but I have looked at a deer through my scope and decided to pass....does that mean that I should have used my binocs instead? I think this is what the OP's intention was. The use of scope to determine "who is that yonder" definitely is another story.
Absoluzactly....
Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Many times I have seen things through my binoculars that could be a part of an animal obscured by rocks or branches, close and far, maybe a quick movement, whatever, I then use a spotting scope to get a better look. One time I saw through my binos what I thought could be a bear, when I looked through my spotter it turned out to be a man at 125 yds, glad I didn't point my rifle with a 16 power scope at him. I once was sitting behind a rock glassing a basin, some other hunters spotted with their binos what they thought was a ram bedded behind a rock but were not sure, so they turned up their 6-24 power scope and pointed their loaded rifle at me from 75 yds, not a good feeling. A spotting scopes primary purpose is to identify objects that might not be clearly seen or identified with binoculars, sometimes close, sometimes far away. If you use your riflescope in place of a spotting scope sooner or later you will find yourself pointing your rifle at a person. If your one of those people who don't carry a spotter and claim they won't point their rifle at something they cannot identify with their binoculars then I guess they will always wonder and never know what that thing they thought might/could be an animal through their binoculars was.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM

I guess some times sitting and waiting to see what some some thing does can tell you what it is. I dont know, I've been hunting for the last twenty years + and i don't hunt sheep or anything and i always carry my spoting scope but almost never use it. Seems like I can always get closer or use my nocs. Besides if its that far away i'd have to get closer to shoot anyway(don't want to try one of those unethical long distance shot lol).They do save a guy a lot of walking sometimes though.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

i'm getting brighter colored clothes and rain gear.....

good god
Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM

I believe the original question that 180+ was asking was whether he could use his rifle scope as a spotting scope ! I say sure as long as its not attached to his rifle,Maybe duct tape it to his tripod or something, ?? should work eh!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Default 180+

In answer to your e-mail; Yes I have looked through a Schmidt and Bender 4-16x50 scope and NO I would not use it as a spotting scope. Same answer as my previous post.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
x3

I'm guessing that the discussion is about using binos and spotting scopes for hunting the mountains (ie. spot and stalk). Or, are people saying that they use them for hunting everywhere?

If I'm hunting deer and I see a buck then I aim at it through my scope. If it's not the one that I want then I won't shoot it. If I'm hunting does and there are a bunch out in the field I'll look through the scope and pick out the one that I want. If I'm hunting cow moose and I see a moose without antlers then I'll aim at it though my scope and if it turns out to be a calf then I let it go. Everytime that I aim my rifle at an animal and I am looking through the scope I am ready to take the shot, no need for all of the fancy gadgets. Besides, how would you ever expect to shoot an animal crossing a cutline if you had to do everything that some people say that they are doing, including having to load your rifle?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
At no point did I say I used my scope as a an identifer!! I carry a good st of binos and don't put my gun on nothing I have identified!! chill and take a pill DO YOU NOT THINK CARRYING APAIR OF BINOS AND A SPOTTING SCOPE AND AREALLY REALLY GOOD HUNTING SCOPE IS REPETATIVE!! iN THE MOUNTAINS WEIGHT IS EVERY THING 3 POUNDS IS HUGE WHEN YOUR HUMPING YOUR ASS OFF ALL DAY!!
Best to carry the extra optics rather than pointing your rifle at something you don't intend to shoot.......

Otherwise, if you get caught and charged, someone in the federal penitentiary system might be "humping your aZZ" for you.....

I know what you are saying, but it is a dangerous practice. There could be another hunter in that area you don't see......

If you take the extra optics, it could assist you in planning a stalk, checking out the terrain etc etc....

Good optics on a rifle are for one purpose, and that is shooting, not identifying. You should study the area around the animal first with your spotting scope to make sure there is no one else around, or make sure another sheep isn't bedded down behind your intended target etc....

Best of luck out there. Sounds like you have some great equipment. Way to go.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 PM

It seemes everyone has missed the scope point though. The guys was using his riflescope once he had positively identified the target rhough binoes. Not using it to search an area.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Spotting scope? Phooey I'll never need one. If it's too far for me to get a half-decent look with my binos then the animal is safe, because I'm not hiking that far to shoot it!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
It seemes everyone has missed the scope point though. The guys was using his riflescope once he had positively identified the target rhough binoes. Not using it to search an area.
I really think you may be the one missing the point. If you can identify the target properly with binoculars then there is not much need to use higher power of a spotting scope. If your exchanging your spotting scope for a 14x or greater rifle scope its because you are looking farther than your 8x or 10x bino's allow you to see good.
Looking at these distances are for spotting scopes not rifle scopes.

Shows how many people out there actually use there rifle scopes to look at stuff.
Boy sure makes a guy feel safe!

My rifle scope does not get looked through till with the use of my bino's and spotting scope, I know that animal is the one that I want my tag on.
SG
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I really think you may be the one missing the point. If you can identify the target properly with binoculars then there is not much need to use higher power of a spotting scope. If your exchanging your spotting scope for a 14x or greater rifle scope its because you are looking farther than your 8x or 10x bino's allow you to see good.
Looking at these distances are for spotting scopes not rifle scopes.

Shows how many people out there actually use there rifle scopes to look at stuff.
Boy sure makes a guy feel safe!

My rifle scope does not get looked through till with the use of my bino's and spotting scope, I know that animal is the one that I want my tag on.
SG
x2.....the orginal post is pretty clear to me too....
Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don't have a 25-60X rifle scope and my spotting scope keeps me from "HUMPING MY ASS OFF ALL DAY".
+1 100% all day long... good spottin scope keeps u from walking everywhere... and 180+ u should have known u were gonna eat $h it for askin such a dumb question. Riflescopes are for shootin, not lookin around.

If carrying that extra is too much work for you, why dont u chuck the binos and riflescope too for that matter and just line up your iron sites and shoot anything that moves until its dead so you can go have a close look at it!

Seriously... ya ask a stupid question...

PS they sell binos that go up to 50 power magnification so get a set
Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM

ooh- a new idea....lightweight kevlar blaze orange hunting jacket and belaclava.....

sounds like we are going to have to armor up this fall.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure that if you spotted some one on the mountain looking at you with their rifle scope you would be a little concerned. They might have a scope thats better than yours, but you cant really tell that from 400-700 yards away. If you really want to save weight why don't you just get a doubler? If you have a good pair of bino's that might be your answer. I have one for my swarovski EL's and it just slides on the eye piece. You can even get one for each eye piece for a wider field of view. They cost about 250 each online and they weight a cople ounces. They turn my binos from 10x to 25x. Could be your answer?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
ooh- a new idea....lightweight kevlar blaze orange hunting jacket and belaclava.....

sounds like we are going to have to armor up this fall.
Sounds good Ken, You want a ride to your deer I just bought a tank!!!!
Say how much for the kevlar?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Just to clarify some points that have been misconstrued from my original post!! The bino's I carry are quite adequate zeiss victory 10x 56mm!!
second when I am in alaska or the yukon I always take a spotting scope but once we spot an animal from a distance we drop most of gear and either start climbing or descending!! Hunting at altitude is alot different from hunting the prarie now don't you know!! All I was implying is that It seems redundant too carry 3 optics when 2 are adequate!1 I never once said that I scanned the valleys and hills thru my scope!! What I meant was My scope on my rifle and bipod is just as good at deciding if sheep A is better than sheep B !! Also for those of you that think 3 pounds is no sweat try climbing near vertical with an extra 3 pounds at 3500' above sea level as compared to 1000'
I have never ever in my life pointed my rifle at a target i was not trying to decide ya/ or nay case closed!!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM

If I may 180,From all my years in the mountains hiking,and hunting, I found that alot of the time I could carry all my gear,But before I would head out depending on what I was attacking that day I would find the best way to configure the gear on my body and pack.I always had a configuration for most senario's. And kept them in mind while out there in the back country.If I had to adjust or switch something around I just stop and make it happen.I only carryed gear that was needed.Most of the time I would try to gear up at home and replicate the movements under load. Hope I could be of some help. Cheers. I'm not sure 3 pounds would break a person if put over the hip area.Just my 2 cents from my outing's.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just to clarify some points that have been misconstrued from my original post!! The bino's I carry are quite adequate zeiss victory 10x 56mm!!

What I meant was My scope on my rifle and bipod is just as good at deciding if sheep A is better than sheep B !! Also for those of you that think 3 pounds is no sweat try climbing near vertical with an extra 3 pounds at 3500' above sea level as compared to 1000'
I have never ever in my life pointed my rifle at a target i was not trying to decide ya/ or nay case closed!!

a couple real easy things to do is to get a lighter set of binos. a 10 x 40 would save several ounces. or keep them and lose the bipod, it weighs more than a spotting scope. if the hills are that steep you wont get the legs down anyway.
but it seems as though you are backtracking from the op, so keep ducking.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM

I had no idea so many guys are using their rifle scopes to look at things they don't intend to shoot - or even to "scan the horizon"! I found this post really disturbing:
" Sorry if you use proper techniques when scanning the horizon with your rifle scope then you will have no round chambered, rifle on safe (if possible) and finger clear of the trigger and even to the extreme of no rounds in your magazine.
The important part of this whole situation is if you can PROPERLY IDENTIFY your target before removing the safety and pulling the trigger. "

You may know (or think) that you're perfectly safe - but what about the poor bugger looking down the barrel of your rifle?
At a gun range, nobody is permitted downrange of the firing line until all guns are safely racked. Even a dissassembled rifle barrel pointing downrange isn't permitted because it's pretty disconcerting for others to look back and see a barrel pointed at them.

I was surprised to see Ziess come out with a range finder integrated into a rifle scope. That means that every time you want to range something, you have to point your firearm at it. Recipe for disaster IMO.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Also for those of you that think 3 pounds is no sweat try climbing near vertical with an extra 3 pounds at 3500' above sea level as compared to 1000'
Do you honestly think people dont know what its like to hunt steep country and pack weight!!! Give me a friggen break!! Non of these loads are under 100lbs. and all are over 4000ft. And in everyone is a spotting scope! So you know what... maybe it would be best if your gunna be a mountain hunter you should just man up and not complain about a 3lb scope.

Full deboned stone ram, head cape and all my day gear.
DSCF0538.jpg

Lifesize cape, horns full deboned stone ram and all my day gear
DSCF0643.jpg

Full deboned stone ram, head cape and all my day gear.
DSCF0829.jpg