Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 PM

Default Parker Hale Help

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've searched and there looks to be a few PH experts on here so I was hoping you could help me out. My grandpa gave me this Parker Hale .270 years ago before he died. I'm a lot taller than he was and he had shortened it up a bit I think plus did a little redneck fixing of a cracked stock. Anyways I've never shot it myself because I'm scared the scope will make me into a pirate but my dad has shot it lots and it's a great gun. My dad has one too and I've taken a few deer with it. In fact he and my dad bought them at the same time. I'd like to put a new stock on it, probably just a synthetic one, for this season and use it myself. So two questions...

1) Anyone know what model it is? (I've got my dad looking into it too but he's busy on the combine)
2) Anyone know where to get a stock that will work?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this year I can post what I shot with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8089.jpg (36.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8090.jpg (50.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8091.jpg (28.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Default looks identical

to the 1200 custom 270 which was my first rifle. think synthetic stocks are made for them as 'mauser 98' model
rob
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Looks like a 1200 Safari, great rifles and very under rated! I've had several and all were accurate and dependable rifles.
The stock doesn't look that short to me but maybe it's just the pics. It shouldn't be too big of a deal to have the stock extended an inch or so but maybe you wouldn't like the looks.
Maybe all that's needed is a scope with more eye relief.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 PM

Yep 1200 Safari. It has the adjustable trigger too, bonus. Thats too nice of a stock to get rid of, give it a little love, and honour the old girl. It probably needs to be relieved a little behind the tang, and I'm sure the crack in the wrist could be glued, and pinned. Then add a spacer, and glue, likely a new pad because the old one will be dried and breaking up.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Yep 1200 Safari. It has the adjustable trigger too, bonus. Thats too nice of a stock to get rid of, give it a little love, and honour the old girl. It probably needs to be relieved a little behind the tang, and I'm sure the crack in the wrist could be glued, and pinned. Then add a spacer, and glue, likely a new pad because the old one will be dried and breaking up.
x2, would be a shame to get rid of that stock at this point.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Contact gitrdun on this forum. That stock repair may be right up his alley. Its worth a proper repair. Beauty rifle.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Get a stock from Boyds.
It might get here a bit late to hunt, but in the interm just throw a slip on recoil pad on the existing stock, and have at er.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Default synthetic takes a licking.........

I put a Butler Creek 98 sporter stock on a previously abused FN Browning Safari in .308NM and that was 20 years ago.Indestructible and never moves it's zero.....D. Henry bedded it and free-floated the barrel........Harold
Old 09-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Looks just like my PH 30-06 that my dad "lent" me!

I know nothing about it other than it shoots exactly where I point it and kills deer and moose! I'm hoping to prove that it kills elk this year too!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM

Like dick 284 said get a boyds and shoot it.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM

I was gifted the same one as yours. Mine has the clip. I got rid of the ugly and useless (for a lefty) stock and put on a cheap Buttler creek. I have also repaired a couple cracked stocks from Mauser 98's

Some things to know if you get a new stock. If you have one with the clip you will have to enlarge the mag box area on the stock.
Some of the Parker hales have a 3rd screw holding the action in place. That screw is hidden under the mag latch on the front of the trigger guard to get at it you need to take the pin out that holds the catch button in place.
Some of them have a little shim behind the recoil lug, this moves the action forwards enough that the rear of the action does not contact and then crack the tang of the stock, put it back in if you have it. Also double check the rear of the action is not contacting the stock or it will shoot like crap and crack the new stock.

Last edited by ROA; 09-14-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM

take the band aid off and see what is under it, and if it can be pinned . If it can't tradex has a blank stock for a M98 mauser for cheap, It will need finishing, and a bit of fitting.