Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Need help with cold bluing

I have a 30 year old Beretta SXS that is in need of some bluing. Hot bluing won't work as the barrels are soldiered in such a way that the heat can pry them apart. I don't know of anyone in Alberta who can do cold bluing. Talked to Garry Vala in Calgary and he is also unaware. Any leads would be appreciated.

CH
Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Have you thought of getting them teflon coated.
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/teflon-coating.html

Last edited by -JR-; 09-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Soldered barrels can be blued if the guy knows what he is doing. Best results come from Rust Bluing. Belgian Blue is the common on used for rust bluing. You can do it yourself if you have the patience. Mark Lee Rust Blue is available from Track of the Wolf. Good video on how to do it. Briley in the States does excellent work rebluing and refurbishing all shotguns.

The only Canadian Company I know of that does Rust Bluing is http://www.blackdiamondgunsmith.ca/contact.html I have never used them so can't vouch for their work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDCPr3rmkOs

Cold bluing with the stuff in a tube is a waste of time and money.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM

I only ever cold blued one rifle and it turned out decent and held up reasonably well. I used a heat gun to warm the metal up slightly.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM

What you are looking for is fume bluing or hot water rust blueing

Do not be supriized by the cost as it is extremely labour intense
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Slow rust bluing is labour intensive and requires chemicals that most don't have. I personally use a Browning formula, British, American and Swiss formula. I have used German also, but never a Belgian formula. The cost comes into the polishing of the metal, the rusting which requires nearly exacting humidity controls for which I've built a humidifier chamber. Then there are multitudes of carting. Most people aren't prepared for the costs. I do my own barrels mostly.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Used Oxpho Blue and was happy with the result. The key is the prep work. As Robmcleod82 said, heat up the metal with a heat gun.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 PM

For a beretta I would pay to have it done right personally.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 09-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Used Oxpho Blue and was happy with the result. The key is the prep work. As Robmcleod82 said, heat up the metal with a heat gun.
Last I heard Brownells no longer ships bluing products into Canada.
At least that's what wo retail outlets told me when I asked for some 44/40 and it's what Brownells told me when I tried to order some through them a couple of years ago.

I've even had trouble getting other products from Brownells. I ordered three shotgun choke and chamber reamers from them three years ago. Every six month I check on my order and to date the answer has always been, the order is in the process but the reamers are all on back order.
I'm thinking that after three years they ain't coming, ever.

I've written off every buying from Brownells again. Ever.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM

I get stuff from Brownelle's all the time. They and Sinclairs are two of the best US houses to deal with. There are some thoings they can't ship to Canada but they will tell you that when you place the order.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Banned

Another alternative for Chukar Hunter would be to have the barrels Ceracoated or Dura-Coated. That would certainly be less expensive than rust bluing and certainly nicer looking that cold bluing.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Another alternative for Chukar Hunter would be to have the barrels Ceracoated or Dura-Coated. That would certainly be less expensive than rust bluing and certainly nicer looking that cold bluing.
Agreed. I looked into it when I couldn't get any 44/40. it looks good.

I would go that route if I could afford it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Last I heard Brownells no longer ships bluing products into Canada.
At least that's what wo retail outlets told me when I asked for some 44/40 and it's what Brownells told me when I tried to order some through them a couple of years ago.

I've even had trouble getting other products from Brownells. I ordered three shotgun choke and chamber reamers from them three years ago. Every six month I check on my order and to date the answer has always been, the order is in the process but the reamers are all on back order.
I'm thinking that after three years they ain't coming, ever.

I've written off every buying from Brownells again. Ever.
If you order it through a licenced importer you can get some of the chemical stuff that brownells wont ship to canada. I bought some oxpho blue from a place on the island when i was down there and thats what he told me.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Default some chemicals can't be shipped..

Sinclaire and Brownels are one and the same company.Home cold bluing a Beretta reminds me of a guy who painted his Holland and Holland shotgun primer yellow.Yes it happened............Harold
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM

I cold blued some parts on my SKS and they turned out pretty good. Forget what brand I used but got it at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. Wire brush until bare metal showing then polish with wet dry sand paper until it is as smooth as you want it. Boiled the parts in water, quickly dry off, then applied bluing with rag. Rubbed off excess then repeat until you get the color you want.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your response. I am not in a rush and want this done right through someone who has done cold bluing on shotguns. Thank you.