Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 09:57 PM

Lightbulb Tight Line Nymphing

This is more of a personal accomplishment than anything else.

Long story short, I started learning how to tight line nymph this year. I've been reading books, ( Dynamic Nymphing - Gorge Daniel), watching videos, and then trying those techniques on the water. I wanted to get away from having to rely on indicator nymphing. Essentially I wanted to add another arrow in the proverbial quiver.

All I can say is that I'm very impressed. My catch rates are way up this year since I've started using these techniques.
I've already had multiple double digit days. Last year, only on a great day would hit double digits.
I'm now able to fish more types of water. I'm able ot fish places where I would never be able to drift an indicator rig. These same places I would walk right by last year, I'm now able to catch fish. It's amazing the places you'll find fish.

I'm still learning, but it's been a fantastic and eye opening experience so far.

If by chance there are veteran or more accomplished tight line nymphers out there, that wouldn't mind sharing a tip or or two, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:29 PM

go like the southern alberta fly fishing league facebook page and join their next competition. Regulations prohibit the use of indicators so most fishing is done via tight line or czech style nymphing and most competition anglers are very good at it, you should pick up some tricks.

some tips that really help:

get yourself a sensitive 10'-11' 3wt or 4wt rod. The echo shadow is an excellent one, greys streamflex is even better.

use heavy nymphs and light line (I like 4-6lb fluoro) to keep the bugs down and the line straight.

recognize that there are many situations in which fishing with an indicator or hopper dropper is going to be more effective, tight line nymphing really only excels when fishing pocket water or the very quick stuff

during your drift, keep the rod tip slightly downstream of your line/flies, it will increase your hookup rate.

use a very long leader (20 feet) and keep your finger in contact with the leader, it will help you feel bites

lastly, keep it simple. Don't use tons of different sections of line, fewer knots and fewer flies are often better. I usually use 10lb mono, then a section of indicator, then my tippet and a single fly for pocket waters. On the bow I'll use 2 or 3 nymphs tied off of short dropper tags.

Not a huge amount of tight line nymphers in Alberta, welcome to the club

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 PM

feel free to send me a PM here or on instagram if you have any questions

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire