Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 PM

Default What to take to the range.

Well I made the deadline and will soon become a member of a gun range. In the past my shooting has consisted of hunting (of course), sighting in my rifle(s) and plinking. I usually sight in and re-verify POI every year by setting up a target in the bush out where I'm hunting and plinking with the 22 is much the same.

So basically now I need to or would like to know what I should bring with me to the range. I'm thinking the following:

Ear muffs - Recommendations?

Safety or shooting glasses - again thoughts?

Obviously targets and ammo.

Binos for checking target?

Rests? I have always used my back pack or rolled up jacket to shoot off of. What do you guys/gals recommend? I don't really want a full out sled as of right now I'm more interested in hunting applications and I don't reload so won't be doing any load development so I'm thinking a sled is out??

Lastly I will be introducing my wife to shooting and my nephew so I need safety gear for smaller people too.

Thanks.
ZD
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 PM

Staple gun for putting up your targets.

Maybe consider going by yourself the 1st time, to orient yourself and be familiar with club rules, before you bring others along with you.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 AM

A front rest is nice, as is a rear bag. They definitely help if you are finding the load that your rifle likes. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Caldwell makes some nice rests ....... Rock and Rock Jr.

I like to shoot off of a bipod when I go to the range.

As for the hearing protection, I go double. A set of plugs and a set of ear muffs.

A tool box to put all of your range gear in is handy.

I keep a small assortment of tools in my range box...... a screwdriver that accepts bits, hex and torx wrenches, dental pick and a few other things that I rarely use.

Depending on your eyesight, caliber of bullet, distance to target and type of rifle scope, you may be able to pick out you bullet holes with your rifle scope. If not, a spotting scope is nice. The other guys at the range will appreciate you not being the guy that always has to go check his targets.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:28 AM

All good suggestions - x2 on the staple gun, frustrating if you don't have it. I take spare bulletin board pins too.

Used a lead sled in the past, gave up on it in favour of home made sandbags and a rear bag. Find it's higher and more natural (better practice). Guess it depends if you're doing tests and bench rest shooting or hunting practice. Some have the opinion that lead sled style rests are hard on the rifles because they can't recoil naturally (?).

Double earplugs & muffs x2, especially with the young ones (because they tend to not fit smaller ears well).

Any good (3M, Sperion) safety glasses at an industrial store are fine and half the price of shooting glasses.

Also, dress warm and take boots if it's an outdoor range. Sitting is a lot colder than when you're moving - I use the thin Mechanix brand gloves.

You don't need any expensive gear to start with, but I bought a pair of tactical earmuffs (about $200) that are actually noise blocking and voice amplifying, and they're worth every penny. DON'T use the cheaper 'noise cancelling' earmuffs - they don't actually reduce the sound and can damage your hearing.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Since you have joined SPFGA, you will be required to attend orientation, so pay close attention and learn the range rules. Be aware of the requirements during a cease fire, and be aware that guests can't shoot at the club.

I recommend safety glasses even though they are not mandatory at the club. I carry both ear plugs and ear muffs, but I seldom wear both, unless someone shows up with a braked rifle. A spotting scope is a good idea, so you aren't constantly asking for cease fires. Most 8x to 10x binoculars are pretty much useless for picking out smaller bullet holes past 100m, and with a black background, they can be inadequate at 100m.
A decent front rest and bag are a good idea, and the Caldwell Rock is affordable. The cheap plastic rests are pretty much worthless. A stapler and spare staples are a good idea rather than tacks or tape, and only bring paper targets to the range, no metal or other unapproved targets.
I always carry a screwdriver to make scope or sight adjustments. Gun oil or a corrosion inhibitor are a good idea as are paper towels, in case of rain or snow that results in a firearm getting wet. A blanket or towel to lay a firearm on while you make adjustments or clean it is also a good idea.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM

a sharpie or pencil is good for crossing out previous groups so you can continue to use the same target.

Lock keys (I always unlock mine before they leave the house)

Magazines

While keys and mags seem simple, I'm sure everyone can tell you a story of themselves or other people on the range showing up without them and the look of shame they display afterwards...
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 AM

I prefer "ears" with the spring that goes around the back of my neck rather than the top strap as it makes wearing winter headgear easier. I generally get Browning ... think they do about 22db sound reduction which would be about the minimum most feel comfortable with. Also think about the design of safety glasses to insure the fit over your ear is skinny to facilitate the tightest seal possible for your muffs.
For cold temps, a towel or seat pad makes a difference. I also use a small towel to set on the ejection port side of my gun as it is useful to cushion ejects so they don't get dented (for reloads), also keeps them on the bench so easier to pick up, and is sometimes handy to cushion my elbow.
I keep my ears and access card in the front seat so I don't need to open my trunk at the gate, and can step out with my ears protected if there are shooters on the line beside the parking area.
My carry case contains a rear bag, towel, seat cushion, small binos, tacks, pencil or felt pen, and a map reader cup (magnifying glass). The magnifier is used to check brass for pressure signs.
In my trunk, I keep a front rest and brass rod in case somebody sticks a case.
Note: I prefer tacks to a stapler as they are easy to carry in my pocket and it makes no difference when I forget them. If using a stapler, load it with short staples so they sit flat to the board ... makes a big difference after there are a thousand staples in the board.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 02-06-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Ammo? - noboby's mentioned ammo.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Previous posters have about covered it, but I'll add a couple.
For the young ones I'd get the electronic muffs. They're not that expensive (I think I paid about $40 for my Caldwells)...the prime reason I got them is that there will be times when you want to make sure that young shooter is hearing you when you are trying to tell them something important...like don't sweep the firing line.
Also as someone else mentioned (and 260 Rem will back me up), really, really listen at the orientation.
It's easy to forget stuff, or just get absorbed in something at the bench. There have been more than a few times the curtain has been down (meaning stay behind the yellow line, hands off gun)...my 14 & 12 year old are walking down the range to put up targets and I look over and someone is at the bench, hands on the gun doing something to it...because of course it's unloaded.
I cringe when this happens.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 AM

I like to get the shoot-n-see targets so I can spot my hits through the scope of my rifle. I pin them up with a cheap staple gun from Cambodian tire.

A front bag at least would be nice, but you can use a back pack as well.

As said, ear plugs or ear muffs, and safety glasses.

In the winter, a blanket to sit on is nice so you're not sitting on cold concrete/steel.

Gun oil, and a small screwdriver are handy to have as well, I fixed a guys gun at the gun with just a few drops of oil. Would have ruined his day otherwise.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 AM

Membership/gate key/pass
Rifle
Ammo
Hearing Protection
Targets
Stapler and staples
Medium sized towel(protect your elbow on the bench)[or better yet a large towel or blanket for the whole bench]
Front rest
Rear bags
Allen wrench set
Screwdriver with inter changeable bits
Cleaning rod
Cleaning supplies
Lens cleaner
Spotting scope and mount
Clothing for at least 10 degrees cooler than expected
Felt tipped marker
Note pad and pen
*Chair or stool since many ranges don't have these.

++Twice the amount of time you think you'll need.

On a side note, leave your cell phone in your vehicle, nothing drives me or I'm sure other shooters nutz, like having to take or listen to someone taking calls from who ever when your trying to focus in on shooting.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Membership/gate key/pass
Rifle
Ammo
Hearing Protection
Targets
Stapler and staples
Medium sized towel(protect your elbow on the bench)[or better yet a large towel or blanket for the whole bench]
Front rest
Rear bags
Allen wrench set
Screwdriver with inter changeable bits
Cleaning rod
Cleaning supplies
Lens cleaner
Spotting scope and mount
Clothing for at least 10 degrees cooler than expected
Felt tipped marker
Note pad and pen
*Chair or stool since many ranges don't have these.

++Twice the amount of time you think you'll need.

On a side note, leave your cell phone in your vehicle, nothing drives me or I'm sure other shooters nutz, like having to take or listen to someone taking calls from who ever when your trying to focus in on shooting.
This is a great thread actually. I have nothing to add really, as it has all been covered.

Dick, I always have my cell phone as I read when I am at the line and I am letting my rifles cool down
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is a great thread actually. I have nothing to add really, as it has all been covered.

Dick, I always have my cell phone as I read when I am at the line and I am letting my rifles cool down
Reading is one thing, explaining to "yes dear" repeatedly that you are some place other than the "gentlemen's club" is another thing.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Reading is one thing, explaining to "yes dear" repeatedly that you are some place other than the "gentlemen's club" is another thing.
You would think that the gunfire in the background would be a good indication that you aren't at the "gentlemen's club". If you must take a call, at least have the courtesy to walk well away from the firing line.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You would think that the gunfire in the background would be a good indication that you aren't at the "gentlemen's club". If you must take a call, at least have the courtesy to walk well away from the firing line.
Zackly, but most of these types don't even have the graces to turn their phone to vibrate either.........

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Cell reception is brutal at SPFGA, at least with Rogers, so mine doesn't even ring. I just read me e-books.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Log book!

I carry my rest , bags and targets in a lugger bin.
All the rest of my stuff I will ever need minus ammo and rifles is in a wheeled tool box

HOWEVER, my log book is one thing I have to consciously remember , as well as dies and loading tools as they are not part of my standard equipment!
Cat
Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
All the rest of my stuff I will ever need minus ammo and rifles is in a wheeled tool box

HOWEVER, my log book is one thing I have to consciously remember , as well as dies and loading tools as they are not part of my standard equipment!
Cat
I use a note book for my range sessions, then transfer the info to my log book.
A steno pad in the range box is all I have.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Cat
"wheeled tool box?"....is that one of those scooters with the orange flag on the back?....
Old 02-06-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
"wheeled tool box?"....is that one of those scooters with the orange flag on the back?....
Now that was just nasty.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post

I think the Ref just called this a shot below the belt..........

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 PM

you guys are real meanies!
Cat
Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM

We ought to introduce some of you guys to the new world of texting. Who talks on their phones anymore?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default tp

I also include toilet paper, you never know if the house will be equipped.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

- a ball cap to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- drinking water
- snack
- small first aid
- masking tape to cover bullet holes, or to strengthen target edges on windy or rainy days (staple will not tear out).
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
So basically now I need to or would like to know what I should bring with me to the range. I'm thinking the following:
How big is your truck ?

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
How big is your truck ?
Lol. 3/4 ton with a 6 foot box.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 AM

If you are going out to SPFGA today, I would suggest ice cleats.I was out yesterday, and I could have skated all the way from the entrance to the shotgun range and back. I would not suggest driving a two wheel drive down to the shotgun range unless you have excellent tires, or you may not climb the hill on the return trip.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:05 AM

Or just drive a Toyota Corolla
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Or just drive a Toyota Corolla
I had no problems myself, but some people did have some issues trying to leave the shotgun area.