Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Be Kind to a Gunsmith Thread...

It seems every time a thread starts about gunsmiths it turns into a ridiculous whine session, that ultimately casts hardworking, good people in a negative light. I recently had a hot water heater break down. Was charged $150 labor for a 15 minute job. That's $600 an hour. Guess what? I was happier than hell to have hot water. So, I thought it may be good to start a thread where we speak of positive experiences with gunsmiths, who are tradesmen no different than a plumber. If you have pictures of work you are happy with, all the better, and helpful to those considering the same type of thing.

Rod Henrickson once charged me $25 to break apart, and salvage a brand new wood stock that I haphazardly glued together when trying to glass bed it. He also had mercy on me and did it as soon as I dropped it off. By the time I got home, I had a call saying it was done. He has also removed a stuck case for me for free, while I waited. I also had a brand new Kimber Classic Select that wasn't floated properly from the factory. He did it for $100 and it was exceptional work, done in a very timely manner.

He hasn't been able to do everything I have inquired about, but he has been honest enough to tell me that it is not his specialty.

One can't ask for more than that.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM

I'll share a good experience with Henry Rempel. Needed a used Wildcat stock glass bedded for my Rem 700. It was already bedded for another rifle and not a very good fit. He removed the old bedding material as well as some inletting to make the stock fit perfect around the trigger guard and bolt handle, re-bedded and shimmed the bottom metal... All for the quoted price of just the bedding. Went the extra mile to ensure I was happy with the final product.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 AM

I have had many fine craftsmen do excellent, timely work for me over the past forty years and at ridiculously reasonable rates considering the time invested.

I have had a couple do shoddy work, and rather than slam them privately or publicly, I just did not return to their shops.

The cream will always rise to the top.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM

David Henry out of Bentley has always being honest and fair. He is both a good smith and a good man.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:52 AM

Insite Arms in Lloydminster has treated me very well. Good quality work and done when they said it would be.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM

I have had numerous hunting and target rifles built by Bob Galloway. Quality and craftsmanship has been great and he has been great to deal with. Bob has spent a lot of extra time giving me reloading/shooting tips and advice that has brought my accuracy to a whole new level. Nice to have guys around that are willing to help a guy out.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
David Henry out of Bentley has always being honest and fair. He is both a good smith and a good man.

I agree. Thanks to Dave for the great work he's done for me.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 AM

I have had work done by several gunsmiths usually full rifle builds, but a couple of smaller jobs as well. Nobby Uno did three builds for me many years ago, and his work was exceptional. Premier Firearms ruined a bolt while installing a Sako extractor on a custom build, and I had to buy another bolt and have Nobby finish the work properly. Premier also took 18 months to do that job after they quoted me six months. .PGW did one excellent build for me, so I ordered a second rifle from them, which took over a year, and it arrived with a #2 barrel instead of a #4 barrel. I never even fired the rifle with that barrel, as I had no desire to own a 300RUM with such a light barrel. It was over 18 months before they finally delivered the rifle as ordered. Corlanes has done three jobs for me, an accurizing job on a factory 700VSSF , a custom rifle on a stainless 700 action, and a custom rifle on a Stiller action, which is now my go to big game rifle. In every case the work was done in the time quoted, and the quality was good. The 300RUM they built for me was the most accurate big game rifle that I have ever owned. Rod Henricksen shortened the stock on my Sako Bavarian carbine before Christmas, and the work was done in two days, and the quality of the work is excellent.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM

I've never had a gun to a smith just wanted to say great idea for a thread!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Your thread needs a slogan... how about;

"Save a life... Feed a gunsmith!"
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM

I've had work done by Bill Leeper, Jan Kolenbrander, Mick McFee, Bevan King, Ron Smith, Corlane, Mitch Kendall, Steve Heilmann, D'Arcy Echols, Mark Penrod, Rick Nelson, and Jason Burrows. Some have done a little and some a lot. Every one of them has been very fair, and great to work with.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post
Your thread needs a slogan... how about;

"Save a life... Feed a gunsmith!"
Yes, no doubt. I just get tired of the bashing threads.

People can figure out who is spoken highly. If someone's name is not on, I guess people can figure that implication out on their own.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Leeper, McPhee, Epps, Smith,Cunningham and Spencer are names that have all given me top notch work , decent and turnaround times at competitive prices .
Cat
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM

I've used both Henry Rempel and Ron Smith. Henry's prices are very fair. I'd have paid more for the quality of work he does.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

David Henry has been great in every way. He has been a hunting buddy to me
and his kind words in a time when my world has been turned upside down.
Cancer!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Robert Stahl of RSL Smithing did exceptional work for me last year in diagnosing the cause of a double firing trigger in an o/u, and getting it looked after in a hurry. He is out of Langley BC and does good work. He does the warranty work for Yildiz, and other manufacturers, in Canada.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM

In alphabetical order;
Bob Galloway
Dave Henry
Do So
Bruce Lundgren(sp)
Range Sports Unlimited
Ron Smith

All have been good to me.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Bob Galloway has never let me down when I have used him.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 AM

It's been years since I had a gunsmith do work for me but it was awesome. I so admire the work these people do. I certainly hope the trade goes on for many, many years.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:28 PM

I've had great work done by several gunsmiths...

David Henry has done some excellent bluing work.

Henry Remple has installed a couple barrels

Mitch Kendall has built me a beautiful 870, KG Gunkoted a Remington
Barreled action and is currently working on a 9.3x62 on a win 70.

All three I would reccomend to anyone!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-