Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Default RSBC Pro Trim or Lyman Universal trimmer?

Have just gotten into reloading and I'll be needing a trimmer and was wondering out of these two models which one you'd recommend. They're both the same price except I know the Lyman comes with all the pilots and I'm pretty sure with the RSBC trimmer you need to get a case holder and the pilot for the calibre you want to trim so that's an additional cost. I don't think you need anything else to use the Lyman but I could be wrong.

Pros or cons??
Old 01-23-2016, 05:07 PM

How big is your budget? Have you considered a powered unit? I much prefer the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. It requires no shell holders has a micrometer adjustment, has the automatic on/off feature( stops when case release lever is pressed), and it also cleans primer pockets and chamfers case necks inside and out. The variable speed feature is also very nice. It;s not cheap, but it does extra functions compared to a simple trimmer.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:20 PM

get a Redding case trimming lathe
for trimming brass O A L
Model #1400-XT Case Trimming Lathe
Old 01-23-2016, 05:39 PM

Another option is to watch the buy and sell and the EE on Gunnutz , as the people that are upgrading to powered units usually sell their old units, and they often have a full set of pilots and shell holders if required.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Another option is to watch the buy and sell and the EE on Gunnutz , as the people that are upgrading to powered units usually sell their old units, and they often have a full set of pilots and shell holders if required.
This is a good idea.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Been looking for a couple of weeks now and nothing has come up. If money was no object I'd probably get a powered unit but for now I'm afraid it's not in the cards right now.

Wholesale sports has both of the ones I've mentioned in the title on sale right now for $118 but as mentioned, I think I'll need to buy add ons for the RSBC which adds to the cost so I'm trying to figure out, based on other reloaders' experience which one to choose.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 PM

I own the Lyman. It's not great.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 PM

In addition to pilots and collets, I suggest you consider availability and quality of neck turning attachments. You may not need/want to turn necks now but you or a future purchaser may want to in the future. For this I use & recommend Forster, YMMV.

For plain trimming, IMHO it is hard to beat the common (& inexpensive) Lee cutter, trim gauge and shell holder system. The shell holder / rim clamp system is simple to use for power trimming, and handy for other things. Mounting the cutter & gauge unit in the chuck of a drill press and holding the case against the press table with just your fingers is the fastest trim system I have tried.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
for trimming brass O A L
Like, it seems to be consistent.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 AM

Here's a company with a different concept: Check out Little Crow Gunworks at
Littlecrowgunworks.com and see what they have; especially for those folks that have lots of cases to trim. Watch their video.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 AM

LEE, simple and cheap, works great. Power them with a cordless drill/ screwdriver. I chuck mine in the drill press and trim away during the HNIC intermissions.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:33 AM

I have
a Forster hand crank works great except doing 200 .223 is really time consuming
Lyman power trimmer does a sort of good job

Forster drill press rig you need a really good drill press --better than mine for precision

Frankford Arsenal power trimmer best I used so far trims, deburrs inside and outside in one operation, stick in the case pull it out use the outside then inside tools done.

I like the little crow idea but being caliber specific I would need 13 of them at $100 each

For a Hand crank the Forster is the best in my opinion has all kinds of attachments for outside,inside turning. Drawback is the $$$ if your on a tight budget
Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM

I use the Lee cutter with a power drill when I have a large batch to trim.
I own a Forster trimmer, but I only use it for smaller batches.

Has anyone tried this power adapter for the Forster trimmer?
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/c...prod59416.aspx

I was thinking of making a jig to hold a power screwdriver or maybe hooking a drill up to a flexible shaft.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
How big is your budget? Have you considered a powered unit? I much prefer the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. It requires no shell holders has a micrometer adjustment, has the automatic on/off feature( stops when case release lever is pressed), and it also cleans primer pockets and chamfers case necks inside and out. The variable speed feature is also very nice. It;s not cheap, but it does extra functions compared to a simple trimmer.
With our dollar in the toilet, any idea of the best place/price in canada to buy one?
Old 01-24-2016, 12:18 PM

I have the Lyman and a few other manual trimmers. If you have a drill press the Lee works pretty good. If not, out of the manuals the Lyman for the price is perfectly fine and better than the RCBS at the same price.

They come with a hand crank and some also have a powered crank rod so you can turn it with a drill (available as an accessory if not with the original trimmer), it comes with the common pilots, the universal seat will take anything from 17 HH to 460 Weatherby Mag so you don't need anything else to start trimming cases.

You can get a good outside neck turner for it inexpensively and it cuts brass about as square as anything else I tried. For large batches the power driven arm works great. For neck turning I use the hand crack.

For very large batches of brass there are better choices, and it would be nice if the Lyman champhered and deburred the neck at the same time but for doing batches of up to 300 it works fine.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 PM

Newer options from LEE, never tried them but interesting just the same.

http://leeprecision.com/news/new-products-for-2015.html
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 PM

I have the trim pro and really like it.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
LEE, simple and cheap, works great. Power them with a cordless drill/ screwdriver. I chuck mine in the drill press and trim away during the HNIC intermissions.
x2 - inexpensive and work great. Get an RCBS chamfer/deburr tool as well for $20 and you're good to go.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
With our dollar in the toilet, any idea of the best place/price in canada to buy one?
I haven't looked at recent prices on them, so I have no idea as to who has the best price. I would check with Prophet River, as they were carrying them.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:26 PM

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...se-Prep-Center

The Hornady is a little more than the RCBS but a better design. Check them all out before laying your cash on the line and decide for yourself.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
for trimming brass O A L
x2 Ihad a lyman trimmer did not like it went to the redding far more accurate and consistant
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...se-Prep-Center

The Hornady is a little more than the RCBS but a better design. Check them all out before laying your cash on the line and decide for yourself.
I thought it looked like a nicer setup aswell. But the trimmer doesn't get great reviews - at least not the ones I read.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM

I have the RCBS trim pro. All the pilots (except the odd one-6.5,40 cal I think) come with as well as shell holders. Always worked well for me. Started out using the hand crank, now I chuck it in a drill to save work. I think it's still only about $140.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 AM

RSBC?

Go with a Forster, and live happily ever after.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 02-07-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 PM

I have both a forster and rcbs - the rcbs is a nicer unit to use. But I'm tired of hand cranking, so I'm looking to upgrade to a powered unit that also has the chamfers and brushes.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I
Frankford Arsenal power trimmer best I used so far trims, deburrs inside and outside in one operation, stick in the case pull it out use the outside then inside tools done.
The FA still requires 3 separate operations, it does not trim, debur and chamfer in one operation. I had a Wilson stainless trimmer with micrometer adjustment. Very accurate but slow as you are using a case holder and also then have to debur and chamfer. I ended buying once and crying once and got a Giraud powered case trimmer. Now that trimmer trims, deburs and chamfers in one operation. Takes about 2 seconds per case and accurate. My buddy has a Frankford Arsenal, like it but still cries when he sees how fast and accurate the Giraud is.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM

I hated my Lyman universal trimmer. Hated.
Sold it. Use the LEE drill ones for length and bought a Lyman case prep express (the powered one).

If I had the money Id buy a Giraud but until then, my cases come out right where i need them with this system.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM

I own the lyman and ordered the power drill adapter from them for $30. Works great. I have an adapter for my drill that works with my lyman case prep tools.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip

Last edited by FishHunterPro; 02-08-2016 at 08:38 PM.