Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Default New cable/string, sights way different

I had my stretched cable/string replaced this week and went out to sight in the new set-up this morning. I had to move my 20yd pin down about 1.25" from where it used to be. Pretty shocking difference. Does this mean my draw weight has been significantly lowered? It felt a little easier to pull, but not much. I guess I need to go back to the shop and get the draw weight checked. I don't have room for more than 2 pins in the sight window now.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Is the nock point in correct place ?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM

It will take a couple of hundred shots to set the new string and cable. Once you have broken them in, re-tune your bow as the timing may need to be adjusted, and the nock point may need to be adjusted as well. The draw weight can then be adjusted to suit and not change very much after that. Once this is done you should be set for the lifetime of the new string and cable.

Norm
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Nock looks good. Arrows flying pretty well. Just surprising how much I had to move my pins. It looks like I have to take my site guard off and move it so I can get more than 2 pins in the view now. I've always had my 55-70lb bow set right at top weight. I'll have to get weight checked. Thanks for your views Norm.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM

..once strings are .."settled" a bow hase t be RE-tuned to specs...that can meaN A 5 # less poundage..even if bow specs are in what most think is perfect...we can take twists to cable an string to keeps specs in perfect but raise poundage to spec or beyond...
my advise is take it to a pro shop for true tune..both spec and to the shooter
JMHO
Neil
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM

If your peep is a 1/4 inch lower in the new string that could result in the lower POI. I shoot a very low peep and my Spot Hogg is in the lowest position possible on the bracket but I have enough room to properly space my five pins. Good Luck
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM

No peep for me, just an anchor site.

Neil, in your view how many shots does it take until strings are "settled"?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
No peep for me, just an anchor site.

Neil, in your view how many shots does it take until strings are "settled"?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge
That depends on the string manufacturer , standard is within 200 shots...manny less many more..also depends on weATHER..ie Heat, cold etc

A bow after strings are settled..regardless of brand..will not be in tune ,draw,or poundage...

Neil
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM

This is a knock and/or arrow rest issue. Knock an arrow and raise the rest. Is the arrow at the height of the berger hole? Is the arrow/string angle 90 degrees (knock should be slightly higher). As for you draw weight.....are your limb bolts turned all the way in? Maybe the shop turned them out to press the bow and didn't turn them down again? If you know the specs for your bow.......axle to axle length and brace height you could confirm that the string/cables are either long/short or just right.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
That depends on the string manufacturer , standard is within 200 shots...manny less many more..also depends on weATHER..ie Heat, cold etc

A bow after strings are settled..regardless of brand..will not be in tune ,draw,or poundage...

Neil
Funny thing is is that most people dont seem to realize this. Think about all the people who will shoot their bows all summer long and then a week or 2 before the season opens put on a new srtring and cable and then wonder why their rigging is not working "like it should". Goldscud, you are doing it right! The time to do this is now, then you are good to go for the fall! I just finished re-tuning both my Destroyer 350's after putting new threads on this spring. Takes a lot of time! Ready for the bears and foam now!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM

With a your old string/cable being stretched like you said, it would result in more speed. Now that you have new string/cable, it is actually slightly les draw length due to not being broke in. Resulting in less speed, No? hence having to reset your sight to make up for the change. Im not sure how much stretch you would encounter, but could this result in say 1/4 inch?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 PM

I may recount my last post after re-reading the OP. That seems like a huge difference by the amount you explain. Tuning should be in order.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
This is a knock and/or arrow rest issue. Knock an arrow and raise the rest. Is the arrow at the height of the berger hole? Is the arrow/string angle 90 degrees (knock should be slightly higher). As for you draw weight.....are your limb bolts turned all the way in? Maybe the shop turned them out to press the bow and didn't turn them down again? If you know the specs for your bow.......axle to axle length and brace height you could confirm that the string/cables are either long/short or just right.
Good points here! Look it over and see what has been adjusted.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM

Depending how much your set creeped on your last set, DW goes up, if the cable creeped DW goes down.

Like others mentioned with that much difference, probably a nock/rest issue or a good chance the cam timing or orientation is out. And your bow shouldn't need 200 shots to settle, with modern stable materials (452x, Trophy, XS2) even with a shorter pre-stretch and at lower poundage will settle withing a 100 shots most likely less.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 AM

This chart I had made up shows just how much strings and cables play a role to a bow tune...with bow creep [strings stretching] will have same results as untwisted strings...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf77ee4b.jpg

Neil
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Here's the Chart..

Neil
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM

That's a good chart Neil. It will no doubt be of use to people on this site. Great aid for people just starting out and people like me who just can't remember!