Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Default Which release should I try?

Hey guys/gals,

I am looking to get a new release.

I am not sure which brand to look at and which type to try.

I will be using it for hunting and target practice.

Should I stick with a buckle type wrist release or go to a pressure type release?

Also if I stick with a wrist release should I go with a single or double caliper?

I am shooting with a cheap cobra right now but am not a fan of the velcro strap.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Looking forward to answers on this thread as I need a new release too . Got the cobra cheapy and think a buckle would be better .
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM

I like the velcro strap myself ...but in my opinion a SCOTT is the best
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I like the velcro strap myself ...but in my opinion a SCOTT is the best
I have been looking at the Scott ones.

Should I look at a single caliper or double and what is the difference in the 2 besides the obvious? Does one shoot smoother then the other?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Personally no matter which one I bought I would get one with a buckle style attachment and not Velcro....the buckle can be done up the same way each time (same tension)....the Velcro ones you will not maintain consistency...my 2 cents.

LC
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM

There is only one release SCOTT !!! mines 10 yrs old thousand apon thoysand of arrows never let me down even -30 in tree stand bullet proff dont waist your time on anything else
Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM

love my scott shark!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM

A Tru.ball and a couple of Scott's. All 3 are buckle and all 3 are quality releases.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM

I use a Scott "Wildcat" FWIW....actually have 2 of them, one for backup

LC
Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM

X1000000. SCOTT all the way. I've been using one for 10 years and the only thing I've replaced on it was the Velcro stap. I changed it to a leather buckle.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have been looking at the Scott ones.

Should I look at a single caliper or double and what is the difference in the 2 besides the obvious? Does one shoot smoother then the other?
I've only used the double caliper nate .not sure on the single I'm sure someone uses a single on here..just a guess but the single maybe smoother
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Personally no matter which one I bought I would get one with a buckle style attachment and not Velcro....the buckle can be done up the same way each time (same tension)....the Velcro ones you will not maintain consistency...my 2 cents.

LC
I agree with you lefty, except on a couple of points. I'm not sure if it is the same for everyone but my wrists change size quite a bit due to cold/ heat which makes my release fit very different. Also when you wear a pair of thin gloves I like to put the strap over them and then the strap fits very different.
The thing that the buckle does provide for you is its quieter than the Velcro version.
A big thing to consider is how you operate your trigger. Do you use the tip of your finger or further up your finger to the joint. And use your trigger like a back tension. This will require a shorter distance from the wrist strap to the trigger. For this purpose I use a "short and sweet" with a D loop.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Had my Scott for 15 years to many shots to count and never once let me down.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM

The first release I purchased was a Cobra. Worked great for target practice but when I took it out in the field I had a couple concerns about it. It always seemed to be in the way when doing a stalk or carrying the bow in my right hand. In a dark blind, I was having trouble seeing when the dloop was between the two jaw.
Went to a truball short n sweet. With the strap instead of the rod, I will be able to fold it up out of the way. And when in the blind, I should be able to hook up by feel if I need to.
I had run out of adjustment to shorten the Cobra. And it seemed I was a little long as I was getting a left tear when shooting bareshaft. Going to the shorter short n sweet has helped here also
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm with heretohunt on the changing of the wrist size. I think that in order to get the best consistency for all contitions, whether it be with or without gloves/mitts on a velcro strap is the most versatile. If all you were ever going to do is fair weather/indoor shooting then a buckle might be more consistent until it streached out, then a velcro could provide you the consistency you wanted. In the end, I think a velcro strap is going to provide the most consistency, as long as you put it on the same eevery time.

I use a Scott little Bitty Goose, with velcro strap. Been good to me. Worth a try for sure!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM

scott
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I'm with heretohunt on the changing of the wrist size. I think that in order to get the best consistency for all contitions, whether it be with or without gloves/mitts on a velcro strap is the most versatile. If all you were ever going to do is fair weather/indoor shooting then a buckle might be more consistent until it streached out, then a velcro could provide you the consistency you wanted. In the end, I think a velcro strap is going to provide the most consistency, as long as you put it on the same eevery time.

I use a Scott little Bitty Goose, with velcro strap. Been good to me. Worth a try for sure!
x2,I use the same one.had it about 10yrs as well with no issues.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Carter index release with buckle strap. Carter is hands down night and day above Scott!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Scott Itty Bitty with buckle - awesome release, very light on the wrist which I like.

I have been trying to find a back up one but cabelas doesn't seem to stock them any more.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Carter "like mike", outperforms any Scott relese ever built, Carter is leading the pack when it comes to releases. I'm shooting a like mike to hunt, and a Carter ember 2 thumb release for 3-d. Liked them both so much I bought extras and put them away for when I want a new one 10 years from now.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Scott little goose for me..
Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Tru Ball short n sweet S2 with a buckle strap. It is a single calliper or hook as some call it. I love this release and have shot many critters with it, it is also my target release. After thousands of shots it has never let me down.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Anyone have an extra buckle strap release laying around that they would want to sell for cheap?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM

I shoot a Scott, my backup and second choice is a Tru Ball short n sweet .
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM

..I would recommend a good single caliper ...I have shot the Fletchunter...by Jim Fletcher for over 30 years..I have three lost one still have two...never failed..maintainance is wash in a mud puddle once a year...lol...

One of the most popular releases of all time, the Fletchunter opens with the flick of a finger and stays open until placed on the bowstring. Designed primarily for hunting, the Fletchunter doubles as a first-rate target release. Features a super smooth, patented over-center trigger system. Infinitely adjustable trigger pull from heavy to hair-trigger.

It has won me 3D and targhet shoots...as well as two triple hoods with hunter tackle...it is accurtae..

we tested the Fletchunter and many other rests on our Hooter Shooter..and it is a true release ..much truer than many of the almost double cost releases..

http://fletcherarchery.com/products/...eluxe-release/

Buckle or velcro...any inconsistancy will effect anchor point and not draw peep or kisser buttons ...

Neil