Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Friendly reminder!

So my 10 yr old daughter and I were shooting our bows the other night and the 5 year old was with us too,older girl shot a few rounds,as she shot her last round I prepped my gear they grabbed her arrows and moved back out of the way,I don't trust the little one so I told her to come stand behind me,I shot my first arrow,turned to grab another and she was under my feet,startling me and says "here's an arrow daddy" so I grabbed the arrow and scooted her back farther knocked the arrow drew back ,fired....BOOM first thing I noticed was a broken bowstring than an arrow sticking out of my bow hand she had given me an arrow from the other daughters set up 2" shorter than mine they are all Easton carbon arrows same colour and fetching and somehow missed the overdraw that arrow went in behind the thumb and right up to the second knuckle on my index finger before it torqued up and broke 6" from the knock I am extremely lucky very little damage to the hand one hole in no splinters parts have been ordered for my bow and I explained to my older girl that it was my fault,now she's not scared of her bow anymore and I will switching to different coloured arrows and will be extremely careful from this day on,this is embarrassing for me,but just passing it on so it doesn't happen to someone else
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM

My brother did the same thing when he was younger shooting with friends. He was also lucky that he didnt do to much damage to his hand. These things happen, and i think alot of people get really complacent. Thanks for the reminder mate.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM

thanks for sharing.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks for sharing that.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
thanks for sharing.
Glad you are alright.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM

...Good Reality Reminder...happening much too often now...glad you were not injuried seriously enough to to disable your hand...some are not shooting now as a result....

Neil
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM

You're all welcome,finger is coming along very well thanks,can't wait to get out and start shooting,I'll be using my own arrows next time. Lol