Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Default help for a newbe?

I recently picked up a used stinger 3g to get into bow hunting so i can spend more time in the woods this season. i need a few things to get me going tho and im not 100% on what i should get.

first off im in the red deer area and as far as i know the only local shop is wolverine so thats most likely where i"ll be getting my goodies. Is it a decent place to deal with? Do they know there stuff?

Im thinking of getting a string made to freshen up the bow a bit. seems wolverine mostly deals with scorpion strings. Will this be a worth wile investment? I also will be needing arrows that wont break the bank. my bows set up at 60lbs and a 27" draw. I cant seem to get a grasp on all the numbers and what not to figure out what will shoot decent. I'll also be getting a release at the same time and i'll be looking for something in the $50 range.

Is there anything i should stay away from? any must haves for a beginner?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.fish View Post
I recently picked up a used stinger 3g to get into bow hunting so i can spend more time in the woods this season. i need a few things to get me going tho and im not 100% on what i should get.

first off im in the red deer area and as far as i know the only local shop is wolverine so thats most likely where i"ll be getting my goodies. Is it a decent place to deal with? Do they know there stuff?

Im thinking of getting a string made to freshen up the bow a bit. seems wolverine mostly deals with scorpion strings. Will this be a worth wile investment? I also will be needing arrows that wont break the bank. my bows set up at 60lbs and a 27" draw. I cant seem to get a grasp on all the numbers and what not to figure out what will shoot decent. I'll also be getting a release at the same time and i'll be looking for something in the $50 range.

Is there anything i should stay away from? any must haves for a beginner?
First off, do you have a friend that is into this? If you do have him or her take you to the local achery shop and have them help you. This is not a sport that you just jump in to without some hands on help. If you do not have a friend, find the closest archery shop and ask for help. There is a lot of help here but hands on is the best for a newbi. Have fun,
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM

If u can find someone locally that sells Gold Tip arrows, buy the Expedition Hunter 5575. Take your bow with you, so they can mark the arrows, while u are at full draw, and then have them cut to size for you.

Edited to add: BTW...take your bow with u anyways to see if 27 inch draw is the correct draw length for you. If u will be shooting a release..buy a release and have the shop check your draw length.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM

Do yourself a favor and stay away from scorpion strings. Get yourself a set of strings from worlds best strings. They are canadian made and they are one heck of a good string plus you can custom choose the colours you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM

Try as many releases as you can. Don't look at the price. Strive for the one that pulls the most cleanly for you. Don't forget that if you add a string loop (recommend) it will change your draw length. Also, as a new shooter I would use a kisser.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM

I would start with a faily low draw weight as well. At least for the first six months, to a year. I have seen alot of dudes pulling bows that they werent strong enough for. This can lead to pretty bad habbits, and take away from practice sessions. Small archery shops usally have the best people to put the right setup in your paws.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 PM

Wolverine is not the only shop in Red Deer. Pat at Red Deer Archery is a PSE dealer and great to deal with. She can get custom strings from a local maker that are excellent. Full line of products and great knowledge. Open Wed to Sat 12-6. Open til 8 on Thursday. In old all sports replay building by Superstore. Can shoot out to 40 yards in our club lanes there.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
Do yourself a favor and stay away from scorpion strings. Get yourself a set of strings from worlds best strings. They are canadian made and they are one heck of a good string plus you can custom choose the colours you want.
I agree WBS are hands down the best strings I have ever shot...

Neil