Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Help finding the right bow...

Hi first post, so please dont get mad at me and tell me to try the search...
Im looking to get a compound bow, I have a 31-32 inch draw length, and I'm not picky on the draw weight (50+ lbs??? Would be fine?) anyways I've looked in the big stores and the only bows that they seemed to have that would accommodate my draw length were top o the line high end bows. So I decided to try looking used, I dOnt want to spend a fortune as it may or may not be used as often as I'd like to think and it will be my first bow.
What i would like are some suggestions as to what to look for in a bow that would make it better or worse for mainly a target shooter, and also possible places to look for a used one? I have looked on the buy sell on here but no luck yet. Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM

I'd suggest u go to a bow shop (not box store) and find out exactly what your draw length is. Then I'd try and shoot as many bows as possible that has your draw length. You will know what feels best for u. You can tell...it just fits and feels better. Then look at the price tag. You may have to save a bit more $ before buying...but u will only be happy with the right bow for u.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM

Elite or Hoy thave bows that would fit your DL.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM

if your set on used go to archerytalk, lots of good deals there
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Jim bows calgary♥

If you are in the Calgary area check out Jim bows north calgary. Small shop, very knowledgeable and you can try it out before you buy it bc he has a range in there. Best of luck and happy hunting!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM

check the APA line up they have a few models that will fit the long draw archer
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM

I have a 32" draw length aswell. I went to Jimbow's in Calgary & was treated very well. They have ready-to-shoot PSE Drive packages for $499. Check em out.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 AM

River is right, go to the experts. Archery is a knowledge based sport and when you start out the learning curve is straight up.

Also...don't cheap out. The crappier gear out there breaks or gives up and although it may be 30% cheaper than the top-of-the-line stuff...once you have to replace it you have already spent more than the quality product would have cost in the first place. The cheapest gear is not always the least expensive - especially in archery.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Most Brands build and have a LD or long draw in their arsenal...Mathews and APA both have excellent LD bows...to mention a couple...APA is Canadian made and high quality the APA M7 is one awesome bow...

Neil
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, Im having zero luck finding a used one, I will be going too look around at some of the smaller shops on the weekend. I'm sure they will be able to give me much better direction than some of the big stores, even as a complete amateur I feel like they are undereducated or lack experience... (maybe not all of them, but the ones i dealt with) Just have short answers and weak or no explanation to a lot of questions. Anyhow thanks again for the input.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM

We are getting a couple APA Viper X8 bows in early next week, while the APA M7 goes to 31" the X8 is a true long draw bow that is only 35" and reaches out from 28.5" to 32.5 " on draw...

Have a look ...
http://apaarchery.com/canada/bows?product_id=113

Neil