Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Default New Build

Finished the wifes 'fly" rod a couple of months ago, this is it rigged with her new reel.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Looks like a nice nymphn rig,did you build it on a fly rod blank?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Yes I had a med. action 5wt. kicking around that wasn't being used. If I had to do it over I would by a new blank, stripping it clean was difficult. I can cast it well over 20 yds so should be good. Choronimd season it should do well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Banned

Cool sweet out fit.

Nice rig . One tip I can add .if you stay with a waggler float try florocarbon line. As the line from float to rod tip fishes best if sunk. Tight lines .
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Nice rig . One tip I can add .if you stay with a waggler float try florocarbon line. As the line from float to rod tip fishes best if sunk. Tight lines .
Already bought, this rig is based on your recommendations by the way. What did you us for bobber stops? I've got a couple small plastic left over from when I did the walleye thing and want to try them. I'm using some sort of super line as the main and it is very slick, I'm thinking the sliding ones will move around.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Already bought, this rig is based on your recommendations by the way. What did you us for bobber stops? I've got a couple small plastic left over from when I did the walleye thing and want to try them. I'm using some sort of super line as the main and it is very slick, I'm thinking the sliding ones will move around.
Water knot tied with a light floss. With a bead on the float side. The knot can be drawn onto the reel with the bead staying at the float. The bead acts as a stop taking some pressure off the knot.