Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Default its a sad day

Yesterday, just as I was leaving my car and heading to the river I slipped on some ice and somehow snapped the tip of my rod off. Anyone know if I could get it fixed or get a warranty on it? Its a reddington crosswater 6wt and I bought it at wholsale sports in Edmonton last fall. Since then I've lost my receipt.

Last edited by ddafoe; 02-25-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

You can get a rod repair kit from any fishing store. I had to repair my old rod. Lost maybe 4 inches. Thought it would be a noticeable difference but it wasn't. The repair kit was ten bucks and I had my rod in working order the next day.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Ok, thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

check the Reddington website for warranty info. i snapped the end off my first St Croix rod and it was replaced under warranty, no questions asked. just had to pay shipping the old tip to them, was about $25. also lost the top section on my 4 pc St Croix last year, went on their website and they sell replacement top sections for $30 including freight to me.

so check it out, most of the better fly rod makes have pretty good warranties on their rods.

rgds
Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

redington should warranty it, you'll just have to send it to them.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM

I did the same thing to my crosswater i bought last year. Drove an hour and a half to fish, get the waders on and all my gear ready and broke it before i left my truck. Some very loud cursing took place i say. Took it back to the store i bought it at and they were going to send it away, it has lifetime warranty even tho it wasnt advertised that way. (Only the more expensive ones had that advertised) but i did find my receipt thankfully and she grabbed a new rod took off the top piece and handed it to me. So they WILL send it away for you if you would like!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM

I called them last year about a broken crosswater tip... they refused to fix it, and said i needed to buy an entire new set up.

In other words, they lost a customer for life... I don't support reddington anymore.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM

I have broken two Reddingtons with no reciepts which they replaced. I bought them to Fishtales and the folks there sent it in. Got a replacement in about 5 weeks.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Redington warranty will replace it. Not sure what the issue was with the 1 instance of them not covering it. Did you register it by any chance?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM

That's an issue with a "big box" store like WSS... They don't send stuff back for warrantee for you (in this particular case, a lack customer service)... Where as a dedicated fly shop would do that for you (I realize your options are limited in Edm)...

I've sent back a few rods to Redington and it's been a seamless process... One suggestion is if you can send it down with someone traveling to the States and they can send it from there, reason why is it's about $20 to send it from up here and about $5 to send it from down there!! They charge you the $35 to your cc and "bob's your uncle". Just make sure they send it back so you don't get dinged for brokerage (i.e., tell them put the value at less then $20 if they send it through UPS or list it as a "warrantee repair") not sure if they would send it through USPS, but you can ask (I can't remember as it's been a long time since I returned one directly, the last time I just went through Fishtales here in Calgary and they take care of all of that)...

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddafoe View Post
I bought it at wholsale sports in Edmonton last fall. Since then I've lost my receipt.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM

The cross water only has a one year warranty and you need the receipt. The purist and up come with the lifetime warranty. You can try good luck though.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM

The more expensive models have life time warranty. If you only broke off a small portion of the tip you may be able to just buy a new tip top and glue it on to the broken end. Most fly shops carry an assortment of tip tops. Then you can decide if you want to remove the the next eye on the rod.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM

I dont think I can be that patient. Ill have to check the buy and sell.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM

I heard if you whine and complain enough they will send it to you with out shipping the rod to them. Of course they'll need a credit card but I heard three day tops to get it back.