Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Wet cell DT-1

For you old timers, I have a line about 25 yrs old. It looks brand new and is still very supple. The reel it is on has a sticker on it that says Wet Cell DT-1. My question is, would this be a type one line? I was not aware that they made type 1 back in the day. I am in need of a type 3 line and if this old line would work I'd be happy. Other question could I toss this line coiled up along side my type one in the tub and see which sinks faster, would I get a good picture of what type of line the WC is?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM

Maybe it is a double taper, type I sink. I think I still have a type II full sink (dark brown line).
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Maybe it is a double taper, type I sink. I think I still have a type II full sink (dark brown line).
Could be, just don't remember such an animal back then. From what I remember Air cell and Wet cell were your options. Will try the sink test in the tub.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM

It's definitly a double taper, wet cell is certainly a sinking line. I would doubt it's a 1 wt line so I would assume it is type 1 sink. That's my guess.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM

Piker....

At the peril of dating myself as an Oldtimer.
I have a DT 6 rate #1 that I converted to a shooting head in the early '80's for shallow water applications.
The line was purchased from the White Elephant Store in Spokane. The White Elephant bought clearance items from here and there who knows how old the line was. The colour was dark green.

Catch ya'

Don
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM

Well went rooting around my old stuff and found another Wet cell sinking line, tested them both in the tub. The DT-1 is defiantly a type one, and the other sinks considerably faster. I guess I have a brand new Cortland sink tip for sale.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Piker....

I have a DT 6 rate #1 that I converted to a shooting head in the early '80's for shallow water applications.
The line was purchased from the White Elephant Store in Spokane. The White Elephant bought clearance items from here and there who knows how old the line was. The colour was dark green.

Catch ya'

Don
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Piker....

Catch ya'

Don
Everything they got in that store is ancient. They also got another one on the otherside which has a bigger selection of fishing stuff.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM

I believe it is Double Taper slow sinking. Think I still have some from the old days too.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Banned

I have a dark green type 1.

I still haul it out for night fishing when there is lots of moonlight.

That line is over 20 years old. Holy smokes, I am an old geezer.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Wet Cell DT-1

Us oldtimers need a moment.

Wet Cell (sinking line or tip) DT (Double Taper) 1 (need to check the scales here).

Is this an SA or Cortland line ?
I have both, I need to dig out the paperwork burried in the closet to give you
specs on the numbering systems used back then.

Here ya go, hope this helps...

wgt - Size(grains)- tolerance
1........60...........54-66
2........80...........74-86
3.......100...........94-106
4.......120..........114-126
5.......140..........134-146
6.......160..........152-168
7.......185..........177-193
8.......210..........202-218
9.......240..........230-250
10......280..........270-290
11......330..........318-342
12......380..........368-392

Weight Size (grains) Tolerance AFTMA (the former American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers Association- now the ASA- American Sportfishing Association) Fly Line Standards were developed to help fly fishing tackle manufacturers create a system that would match fly line weight to fly rod performance. Cortland Line Company’s Leon Chandler was instrumental in initiating and completing the project. In theory this would standardize fly tackle manufacturing across the industry and enable fly fishers to select and balance their equipment for optimum performance.
The system uses the weight in grains (a very small weight measure) of the first 30 feet of fly line as a standard. The table shows fly line weight designations and their grain weight. The system also established a tolerance level that is acceptable.

CORTLAND LINE COMPANY ADHERES TO AFTMA STANDARDS!

Beware of over-weighted lines that give you a false sense of fly line and rod performance.

Source:HERE

1 grain = 0.00228571429 ounce
1 ounce = 437.5 grain
1 gram = 0.0352739619 ounce
1 ounce = 28.3495231 gram

Last edited by Bonescreek; 02-27-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Found more info
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM

The full label should read: Scientific Anglers
WET CELL I indicating a slow sinking line (now we label them "Intermediate") whereas a WET CELL II was a faster sinking line. Then DT-number - S indicating a Double Taper shape, number indicates weight of the line as in #6, 8, etc. and the "S" indicates a sinking line. I doubt what you have is a size #1 line: it would be little more than 1 mm diameter in the thick mid section. All the WET CELL lines I ever saw were dark green.

Wet Cell II was common, yours less so but still useful on windy days and in shallow water. Floating lines were called Air Cell and were light green or dark brown in the early years before the bright colors emerged.