Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Wt deer sightings in 511

Hello, going up deer hunting on the weekend near Smith (wmu 511)and wonder if anybody has been around that part of the country and could tell me the deer #'s or sightings this year. High or low count.

Thanx
Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAD40 View Post
Hello, going up deer hunting on the weekend near Smith (wmu 511)and wonder if anybody has been around that part of the country and could tell me the deer #'s or sightings this year. High or low count.

Thanx
High or low doesnt matter as Smith holds some of the biggest Whitetail bucks in the world...

This is the best year I have seen in a long time for big buck sighting and I really believe there will be many records broke this year in AB..

Good Luck
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
High or low doesnt matter as Smith holds some of the biggest Whitetail bucks in the world...

This is the best year I have seen in a long time for big buck sighting and I really believe there will be many records broke this year in AB..

Good Luck
X2 we have been seeing some Hogs this year. Both whitetail and muley.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 PM

was up there on the thanksgiving weekend and whitetail numbers were outstanding.we were not at smith but at fawcett which is only 25k south.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Default wmu 511

lots of deer but 10000 road hunters and quads in every direction, frustrating area. hike way way back and you might not have quads and people in every direction. dont even waste your time by going on the weekend as everyone in edmonton flocks to that area . I live nearby and one doe tag left. going to the mountains just to get away from all the other people this week. try north of calling in between wabasca good numbers up there too. hopefully they restrict carrying guns on quads before noon in 511 one day. I have quads too but park them when i start hunting. A few years ago the area wasnt as bad but now its clogged with hunters on the weekends. Grouse are good but you have to walk the game trails as the road hunters have hit them hard. I parked my truck in from of a cutline and was calling in a moose, it called back heard a branch break i was ready with the bow then boom a guy shoots at a grouse 100yrds from where i was at, out his truck window, i wave stop, looks at me i wave stop again as the moose was still coming then the guy keeps driving towards me scares off the moose, drives up and says hey hows it going thats what you can expect in 511. oh and watch your truck, unless you have good insurance. tires gone burnt vehicles and lots of camper breakins. If i see someone is hunting a particular area i go somewhere else, there doesnt seem to be any respect for other hunters up there at all. I cant handle the stress so im hiking 352 353 for a week of hopefull solitude. good luck lots of mules in 511 towards slave in the high ground this year too. make sure you have all you tags and rifle registration as the co s are always in the area and check EVERYTHING. hopefully they nail the guys smashing all the vehicles up there too. seen lots of trucks up on blocks and missing trialers and ramps. lock everything dude.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Default Deer in 511

Just got back from 511. We were lucky enough to bring out a couple bulls, and a buck. We are further up around the Marten Hills area though. The deer sightings were plentiful, even saw the biggest spike i've ever seen. Must have been 16" tall.
Never had a chance at him, but there was a real hog around km23 on the west fawcett lake road.
I have to agree, the traffic is getting terrible up there. Lots of road warriors, and guys that think the sound of an over-revving quad engine works as an animal call
Get deep in the bush, don't be affraid to walk, and your success should present itself on many occasions.
Good luck, have fun.