Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Default Spey Line on a 9ft 8wt?

Hey Guys
I'm thinking of running Spey line (specifically https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.htm...egory=10329716) on my 8wt 9ft for pike. I have a friend who swears by it but I'm a little weary of running such a line on a shorter rod. What are your thoughts?

I'll be only tossing big streamers with this rod, mainly from a boat on a lake.

Think of anything better?

I'd love a try a Barrio Line if possible.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Here's another one I was thinking of running in a 8wt. Different casting style though https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.htm...egory=12258499
Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 PM

I went to the rio outbound short. Big heavy head, loads quick and shoots big pike flies as far as you would ever need.

Haven't looked back since.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM

I would recommend a rio pike/musky line. I have the floating one and the intermediate tip and both cast a mile with half a chicken worth of feathers on a hook.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM

That's a Scandinavian taper and wouldn't be very good for big flies to be completely honest with you! If it was a skagit taper it'd be much better. But I'd reccomend getting a specific pike line, it'll do a better job than any spey or switch line for what you're talking about.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Thankss guys! Picked up a Cortland Pike specific line.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 PM

That is an extremely long line to fish on a single hand rod. Also on a lake I'd just go with a single hand line (like you did with the cortland pike line).

for future reference, the rio troutmax 11ft skagit heads cast like a bullet and would go well on a single hand (get 2 sizes smaller than what's rated, eg a 4wt head for a 6wt single hand).

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
That is an extremely long line to fish on a single hand rod. Also on a lake I'd just go with a single hand line (like you did with the cortland pike line).

for future reference, the rio troutmax 11ft skagit heads cast like a bullet and would go well on a single hand (get 2 sizes smaller than what's rated, eg a 4wt head for a 6wt single hand).
Also the Opst commando head would be good too
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM

I use an Echo Ion 8 wt with single handed spey line for pike. I run an single handed spey ambush tapered line with a 5-6 IPS versi-leader and wire leader tied directly to a fly. I fish off a boat with some of my gear buddies chucking spoons, and I find on average I catch more fish per hour almost every time.

I don't usually fish for pike but it's super super fun fishing like this on a nice day, but be warned your shoulder will hurt after catching 10+ pike. Casting giant fly's into the wind can be tiring, but the reward is awesome when they take on an aggressive strip!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 AM

I use a lot of two handed rods but I do have a 10' 8 weight single handed rod that I use a Scandinavian line on for numphing with a indicator also I use it on my pontoon boat chasing coho I also on the small rivers put on a commando skagit line it's only 12' long I also put a sink tip on it My setup works fine but has it limits. I wouldn't be casting big streamers with a scandy line I would go to a short belly Spey line like 24' which work better but if ur using big streamers or sink tips I would go to a skagit line but not that easy overhead casting
My beach fishing I use a 27' foot scandy line with a 10' polytip and then 7 ' of tipit on my 12'8" Spey rod over head casting in the 90-100 foot range but I'm using light flys Your setup I would not fish it myself but we r all different
Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM

I'm sure no expert but I think you stick with line that was designed for the rod. Spey line is designed for a different rod than you are using, and a differing fishing technique. I think it would load weirdly, or at least inefficiently.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm sure no expert but I think you stick with line that was designed for the rod. Spey line is designed for a different rod than you are using, and a differing fishing technique. I think it would load weirdly, or at least inefficiently.
There is more ways then one to skin a cat They make lines that r Spey/switch lines for single handed rods You use a shorter head slash line on a single handed rod It is not awkward when matched right. My single handed rod is matched perfectly and will fire the line out like crazy The rivers out here with all the bush behind u makes roll cast important and with my commando head on my single handed rod with a sink tip I can roll cast 60+ feet with a wt or dt line no where near that
Old 04-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
There is more ways then one to skin a cat They make lines that r Spey/switch lines for single handed rods You use a shorter head slash line on a single handed rod It is not awkward when matched right. My single handed rod is matched perfectly and will fire the line out like crazy The rivers out here with all the bush behind u makes roll cast important and with my commando head on my single handed rod with a sink tip I can roll cast 60+ feet with a wt or dt line no where near that
Totally agree, the specific spey lines they make now are well researched, designed, and are totally fine with a decent single handed rod. There's just no room for a giant back cast in Alberta, and you are limiting yourself to fewer locations to fish in my opinion.

It's crazy what you can do with all the different types of spey casts if you know how to load it up properly in different situations.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:49 PM

I've been playing around with a bunch of switch lines then went back to casting a DT line and i must say a DT is a great spey casting line and probably half the price of the integrated switch lines. Might be harder to find for an 8wt but something to consider depending on your application.