Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

Default New ar-15 semi-automatic standard: Rcmp

http://calibremag.ca/new-ar-15-semia...standard-rcmp/

Quote:
The RCMP have circulated a new memo to gun industry members advising them of a new AR-15 semi-automatic standard being used to classify semi-automatic AR-15 receivers from fully automatic receivers.

Historically, the differentiation between fully automatic (M16) receivers and semi-automatic (AR-15) receivers has been the existence of a low- or high-shelf inside the lower receiver. Denoting the height of the milled pocket located behind the trigger mechanism, where a fully-automatic sear and disconnector would reside in a select-fire rifle, the shelf height has often been the primary indicator due to the machine work required to allow a high-shelf lower to accept full-auto trigger components.

However, this latest memo from the RCMP looks to replace that aforementioned widely accepted international standard of shelf-height with an additional and nonsensical pocket width requirement. Early Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter lower receivers featured a pronounced bump around the selector pin that protrudes into the lower receiver pocket, and according to the RCMP memo, “AR-15 pattern firearms which are not SP1 compliant risk falling into the prohibited firearm category as they can be easily converted to fire in a full automatic manner in a short period of time.” Due to the modern and almost universal standard of a lower receiver’s shelf-height being used to differentiate full-auto from semi-auto receivers so long, many manufacturers have forgone the needless SP1-syle machining of their lowers, and may now find themselves in the RCMP Firearms Program’s cross hairs. For further details, we’ve procured a copy of the memo in question, and you can view it here: (Click the link posted above)
Some good deals going on for AR's lately, S&W, PSA both sub-$700 prices I have seen. If anyone was ever wanting to buy an AR now would be the time.

To the fudds that say the AR15 serves no purpose, click the red 'x' in the top right corner of your screen.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post

To the fudds that say the AR15 serves no purpose, click the red 'x' in the top right corner of your screen.
It serves no particular purpose... And if I had some extra $ laying around, I'd love to buy one. LOL
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Cops making up the law as they go...what could possibly go wrong?

Anyone surprised?

Edit: and where are you seeing an S&W ar for $750??
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It serves no particular purpose... And if I had some extra $ laying around, I'd love to buy one. LOL
IRunGuns has some on sale for $585 CDN....
Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Cops making up the law as they go...what could possibly go wrong?

Anyone surprised?

Edit: and where are you seeing an S&W ar for $750??
General Gun has new M&P 15 Sport II for $655 right now.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Default buy something cheap now

So they can cut it up later.Harold
Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 PM

AR's? Nope not for me- doesn't mean I agree with or even like the regulations surrounding them
Cat
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM

We stand together or we will eventually fall individually. Regardless of how any of us personally feels about ARs, we need to stand and resist this gradual hewing at our liberties.

Personally, I hit the roof when I read the Calibre article. Had a letter written and sent to my MP less than 15 minutes later. Planning on doing the same for Goodale, Paulsen & the PMO, though I don't know what good those'll really do other than let them know how ****ed off I am.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

The fact is this is a BS memo because converting any AR lower that is legally sold in Canada takes a precise machining and in some cases adding material to the lower plus the FA sear and bcg
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The fact is this is a BS memo because converting any AR lower that is legally sold in Canada takes a precise machining and in some cases adding material to the lower plus the FA sear and bcg
This is what happens when the RCMP is allowed to take part in the classification of firearms.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Which was exactly their intention. Watch what happens next, either an outright ban and confiscation or at best they throw us a "grandfather" clause if it was registered by a certain date

Isn't it disturbing that at the same time as they get them as duty firearms, they try to take them from everyone else. There was this little German guy with a funny mustache that did the same thing...
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which was exactly their intention. Watch what happens next, either an outright ban and confiscation or at best they throw us a "grandfather" clause if it was registered by a certain date

Isn't it disturbing that at the same time as they get them as duty firearms, they try to take them from everyone else. There was this little German guy with a funny mustache that did the same thing...
Also a similar situation ongoing in Venezuela.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Default And

The Balkans in the early 90's and we all know how that turned out.The biggest threat we have to firearms ownership is the UN
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
It is also already illegal to convert an AR lower. One needs to ask, what is the point of the new law?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM

I'm kind of curious about the epidemic of AR-15's that have been converted to full auto that would motivate the RCMP firearms lab to look further into this. Oh, wait! There hasn't been one and won't be but they insist on wasting time and taxpayer money tilting at windmills.

I'd like to know how many AR-15's that the RCMP and other Canadian Police have seized in the past decade that have been illegally modified to fire full auto and were modified before arriving at the RCMP firearms lab?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Yes but on the news they kept saying that the RCMP are now outfitted with high powered carbines whereas the only thing available to the public seems to be assault rifles.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Yes but on the news they kept saying that the RCMP are now outfitted with high powered carbines whereas the only thing available to the public seems to be assault rifles.

I don't think they use the term "high powered", but use the term "patrol" carbine. It scares the uniformed less.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I don't think they use the term "high powered", but use the term "patrol" carbine. It scares the uniformed less.

A patrol carbine must be very benign as the people who help elementary schoolchildren cross the street seem to only require minimal firepower!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
That's why they're prohibiting those aweful assault rifles!

Side note, I sincerely hope Bernier wins the poop throwing contest next time around, just to see those arrogant jackboots tuck their tails and whimper on this issue.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Side note, I sincerely hope Bernier wins the poop throwing contest next time around, just to see those arrogant jackboots tuck their tails and whimper on this issue.
Seeing Max bring the pain to these autocratic meddlers will be worth the vote alone.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
It is all about protecting the sensitive snowflakes who are always on the lookout for things to be offended about
Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMSBen View Post
It is all about protecting the sensitive snowflakes who are always on the lookout for things to be offended about
How true...snowflakes...when they gather then we need to shovel...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is also already illegal to convert an AR lower. One needs to ask, what is the point of the new law?
confiscation is the point of the new law.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
confiscation is the point of the new law.
Well technically speaking, it's death by a 1000 regulations (or the proverbial "cuts")...