Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Default Air Pump Advice

I have recently moved up into the world of boat ownership, with the purchase of a lovingly used 9' pontoon.

What are people running for air pumps? The pontoons don't fit in my vehicle inflated, so I think I will be inflating and deflating a fair amount.

I'm curious to know what people are using.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 AM

I bought myself a small electric pump - I think I got it at Ocean sports on Whyte ave. Then I got an adapter package at CDN Tire so you can hook it up to your car battery or cigarette lighter plug.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 AM

I've used the Coleman type pump, and it works o.k. you have to top off with hand pump. Inexpensive and works o.k

I have since gone to a high volume+low pressure pump like this. It's uber fast and you don't have to top up with hand pump, and it won't break the bank.

$69.99 @ Cabelas
Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 AM

I have a generator so I take it along with a 115v cheap Coleman pump for air beds. I will get the pontoons up in a couple of minutes then finish off with the hand pump. Use the same for filling up my inflatable boat. Not sure how lwell the 12v dc ones will work and you would need a long cord for plugging into the 12v outlet.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've used the Coleman type pump, and it works o.k. you have to top off with hand pump. Inexpensive and works o.k

I have since gone to a high volume+low pressure pump like this. It's uber fast and you don't have to top up with hand pump, and it won't break the bank.

$69.99 @ Cabelas
This pump right here is also sold by canadian tire under the woods brand just repackaged for 54.99. Buy it, its the best out there.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I'll check those out.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:33 PM

That's exactly what I used to use with my pontoon. Hook up the pump while you are getting all your other gear laid out and you don't have to wait too long. Just be careful that you don't overinflate.

You might want to consider getting a low pressure gauge too. I was always underinflating before I knew how much air to put in. Being properly inflated makes a big difference on the stability and maneuverability on the water. Watch if you stop in a sunny area because the heat will increase the pressure in the 'toons. The water is always cool enough that I've never noticed pressure building while I was floating.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM

These pumps are great, save you a lot of work. But they will not complete the job.

I find I have to give it 5-6 pumps of the double hand pump to get her just right.

;-)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

I have always just used a smallish double action hand pump and can usually inflate a 9' toon in 1-2 mins. And it travels well on the boat should the need arise. However I do miss having a truck...inflate it once at the start of the season and just top it off when required...sk.