Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Default 25-06 dilemna

I have been desiring to purchase a 25-06 for a while now, but have some fairly strict parameters of what I want and I am having trouble finding 'the' rifle to match what I want. Budget is up to $1500, and I am OK with doing some customization but would prefer if it is mostly off-the-shelf. Looking for some suggestions of a brand/model that would best match the following:

-high grade walnut stock and cannot be glossy finish
-blued barrel with a polished metal finish
-floor-plate preferable, but wouldn't disqualify if had box mag
-barrel length must be at least 24"
-prefer a look with a black forend tip and a black grip cap
-preferably off-the-shelf accurate (sub moa if possible), without a lot of extra fidgeting
-needs to be somewhat light, balanced mostly (my goalposts are weatherby vanguard: too heavy, savage 111 lightweight: too light) 6 3/4 - 7lbs would be about optimal, I figure. I think my vanguard is about 7 1/2 lbs and it is just a bit clunky.

On top of my dilemma of what rifle to select, my other two bolts are a .243 and a .270, two calibres I feel attached to, but I feel the 25-06 will do the job of both and that I will have too many of the same tool. I feel like I should spread the calibers a bit farther, but I am unsure what I'd like to do - so taking suggestions on this as well. The 25-06 will become my main hunting rifle and one that I intend to keep for life. I feel fortunate to be able to own 3 bolt guns, but I also don't really like clutter and duplication, so not sure what to do.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM

Browning xbolt hunter fits almost all your criteria, my son has one. Except floor plate, maybe Weight, all other criteria fits.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM

+1 on X-Bolt
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 AM

Remington 700 bdl perhaps.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 AM

Thumbs down "Feather Trigger "

X-Bolt Hunter, Nice rifle. It carries nice, it shoulders nice.
I had two a .243 & .280Rem.
Both very accurate, at least more than I.
I would've preferred the 280 to have a 24" barrel rather than the 22". I see the 25-06 has a 24", that's good.
But the biggest complaint I had on both of my Xbolts was the "Feather Trigger".
The X-Bolt's new three-lever Feather Trigger provides a clean, crisp pull with no take-up or creep and minimal over travel.
The above was taken directly from Browning web page and I don't disagree one bit with that statement.
The trigger pull is fully adjustable for user preference. However both of mine would not adjust lower than 5lb on 243 and 6lbs on 280.
After doing some research I found a link ( http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i187.html ) that shows how to adjust the poundage. Fine, too easy. But the trigger mechanism housing uses pot (white) metal to contain the components. Possibly to help reduce overall weight.
By following the link it gives a step by step process for trigger adjustment.
The only issue here is, because of the pot metal housing, every time you disassemble, reassemble disassemble etc in order to get desired trigger pull, unless you have proper tooling (as shown in link) and patience, the pin axis holes can be easily damaged, thus elongating the holes and
Therefore this should be carried out by someone who is qualified or experience.
I am an Army Weapons Technician in the CAF , so I was able to approach this job with experience and 27 years of patience
When I first bought my Xbolts (2014) there was no aftermarket trigger available at the time such as; Timney or Rifle Basix. But now there one available; http://www.jardinc.com/new-page-69/

Best of luck with your decision on a new 25-06 rifle.
I just picked up an Encore barrel for my TC and finally was able to scratch one off the bucket list.
Cheers,

Huntsman
Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 AM

Remington 700 CDL
Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 AM

BDL 700 Remington sounds about right for what your looking for.
I would take a 270 over a 25-06 but thats just me.I use a 6.5 Creedmoor for deer and shoot 129 gr LRAB in it,its a great round IMO.
My next pick would be the X-Bolt but maybe have a look at the Coopers or Kimber they might have something
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
X-Bolt Hunter, Nice rifle. It carries nice, it shoulders nice.
I had two a .243 & .280Rem.
Both very accurate, at least more than I.
I would've preferred the 280 to have a 24" barrel rather than the 22". I see the 25-06 has a 24", that's good.
But the biggest complaint I had on both of my Xbolts was the "Feather Trigger".

The trigger pull is fully adjustable for user preference. However both of mine would not adjust lower than 5lb on 243 and 6lbs on 280.

Huntsman
That is unfortunate about your rifles. My X-Bolt adjusted down to the advertised 3 pounds. My friends is factory at about 3 and half where he is leaving it, and the multiple I have handled in stores have all had 3.5 to 4.5 factory set pull weight.

The adjustment is extremely easy to access and to adjust. Screw it out for lighter, screw it in for heavier.

The trigger did surprise me at the beginning, there is no creep at all, im used to touching a trigger and feeling the slightest movement towards getting to the sear before applying the weight to break. There is no movement at all. It is a 3 pound break that is more similar to higher end triggers than sloppy low end triggers. Once your used to it, you appreciate it vs bothered by it.

As for the rest of the rifle design, I couldnt think of a single feature that could be done differently for improvements. As far as the limits of Steel Wood and Polymers go, this is on the bullseye.

I love my Ruger no. 1 single shot, but on the topic of Bolt actions, i would choose X-Bolt if I was only allowed to keep one.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
That is unfortunate about your rifles. My X-Bolt adjusted down to the advertised 3 pounds. My friends is factory at about 3 and half where he is leaving it, and the multiple I have handled in stores have all had 3.5 to 4.5 factory set pull weight.

The adjustment is extremely easy to access and to adjust. Screw it out for lighter, screw it in for heavier.
The trigger did surprise me at the beginning, there is no creep at all, im used to touching a trigger and feeling the slightest movement towards getting to the sear before applying the weight to break. There is no movement at all. It is a 3 pound break that is more similar to higher end triggers than sloppy low end triggers. Once your used to it, you appreciate it vs bothered by it.

As for the rest of the rifle design, I couldnt think of a single feature that could be done differently for improvements. As far as the limits of Steel Wood and Polymers go, this is on the bullseye.

I love my Ruger no. 1 single shot, but on the topic of Bolt actions, i would choose X-Bolt if I was only allowed to keep one.
I totally agree, the feather triggers are great and simple to adjust. When I initially adjusted mine it wouldn't go less then 6 or 5lbs. I just got a bad apple.

I'd get one in .308 if I were to buy another.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM

OK, I agree with the suggestions listed here, but there are still some questions to answer.

I am thinking between these 4 guns and perhaps it requires a used model.

Remington CDL/BDL: what is the difference between bdl and cdl? Are there production years to skip for remington? would I be better off with one of their older model 700s? I've heard a lot of bad things about quality since they were bought out.

Model 70 supergrade: not currently offered in 25-06, but this gun hits all the checkboxes. Does anyone know if it was produced in 25-06 previously?

Ruger 77: not sure about this option, but it seems like it might have some merits. I know they did make a 25-06 somewhere along the road

Browning Xbolt Medallion: I'm still a bit iffy on the looks of the stock and the fit of their stocks have not been the best for me. Maybe a consideration, not sure.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Another to consider is the Remington Mountain Rifle in the 25-06, they are a nice handling lite weight firearm. The CDL to BDL is just tat the CDL is slightly nicer cosmetically, function wise they are the same
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Banned

Account the Ruger M77 .25-06 in all it's variations has a 24" barrel Ruger uses a magnum contour barrel.
With a 257 diameter bore, they are in my opinion too heavy for the cartridge.

There is a noticeable difference in handling and balance when comparing the same rifle in .270 or 280.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Banned

A 25-06 is not any different than a 243 or 270 imo.
A 270 win will do everything a 25-06 will do and then some. Truthfully its hard to improve on the 270 win
I would look upwards of a 30-06, maybe a 300 or 338 mag to be different than what you already have.
A walnut blued mountain rifle or cdl/bdl are all good suggestions
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 AM

There are a ton of very high quality used rifles on the market at super attractive prices. Find one you like and re-barrel and chamber to any cartridge you desire and you will still meet your budget.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM

Personally, i would take a 25-06 over a .243 or a .270 in this situation. It fits a spectrum to cover most Alberta game, and I have used it to take dozens of coyotes, deer, and even elk.

As far as the rifle goes, a Rem BDL has stock iron sights (can be removed), plastic butt plate and a glossier finish, while the CDL has no iron sights, rubber recoil pad and a satin finish. Those are the main differences.

I feel like a Rem CDL fits your specs the best, while a Kimber Classic fits most everything except price.

I know Winchester has produced 25-06 rifles in the past, not sure if the Supergrade was offered in it though.

Keep in mind if you find a rifle in 25-06 with the action you like, then it is always possible to get a nice stock in the format you want for it.

Also Salavee has made a good point.. Re-barreling a donor rifle will ultimately be more custom to what you want. I did this last year, and the donor rifle, new barrel and all work done on it to finished stage was under $1400
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I totally agree, the feather triggers are great and simple to adjust. When I initially adjusted mine it wouldn't go less then 6 or 5lbs. I just got a bad apple.

I'd get one in .308 if I were to buy another.
You aren't the only one to have an X bolt trigger that won't adjust to 3lbs, I have seen a few.
As for the 25-06, I like the cartridge, and prefer it to the 243win, or the 270win.A former hunting partner had a 700BDL in 25-06, and he took several deer and a moose with his.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Personally, i would take a 25-06 over a .243 or a .270 in this situation. It fits a spectrum to cover most Alberta game, and I have used it to take dozens of coyotes, deer, and even elk.
This is exactly why my son, at age 11, chose the 25-06 5 years ago. It would do everything, gophers to Elk (243 too small for elk IMHO, not enough weight, 270 too big for small game, varmints ect). We also looked at the 7mm-08, which would be good for larger game (elk, moose). I shoot 270, and love the caliber, I love the 7mm-08,(probably the most accurate gun I ever shot out of the box with factory loads, also xbolt), but for overall versatility, the 25-06 was hard to beat, and easy on the shooter, and can do everything you want, simply by varying the bullet weight. I also hand load, and use 30-06 brass, full length resized for reloading. Much cheaper than buying 25-06 brass (about 1/2 price, or free if you know someone with a 30-06 who doesn't reload!) I grew up using a 257 Roberts, and used it for everything, for the same rational. I really like all the 1/4 Calibers for their versatility

I would suggest that the stock can be customized to anything you want, the trigger can be replaced, but overall, the Xbolt matches your criteria the closest. All your options are good choices though.

I also agree that Remington isn't what it used to be, tremendous loss in quality over the past few years.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
OK, I agree with the suggestions listed here, but there are still some questions to answer.

Remington CDL/BDL: what is the difference between bdl and cdl? Are there production years to skip for remington? would I be better off with one of their older model 700s? I've heard a lot of bad things about quality since they were bought out.

Model 70 supergrade: not currently offered in 25-06, but this gun hits all the checkboxes. Does anyone know if it was produced in 25-06 previously?

Ruger 77: not sure about this option, but it seems like it might have some merits. I know they did make a 25-06 somewhere along the road

Browning Xbolt Medallion: I'm still a bit iffy on the looks of the stock and the fit of their stocks have not been the best for me. Maybe a consideration, not sure.

Rem BDL is the Deluxe version
Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Duplicate.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:

The BDL with wood stock has the monte carlo stock, and it usually has sights. Some BDL models also have a detachable magazine, and some have synthetic stocks, and stainless barreled actions. The CDL has the classic stock instead of monte carlo, some have detachable magazines, and they are also available in stainless with a fluted barrel, but still in a wood stock.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Town Post
https://townpost.ca/buysell/edmonton...del-70-classic
Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
That comes close, but who would put a stainless barrel on a blued action? Man is that fugly.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Well it definitely has character.
Haven't seen Weaver tip-overs on any of my rifles since the late 80's lol
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
That comes close, but who would put a stainless barrel on a blued action? Man is that fugly.
And a heavy barrel. No wonder its for sale
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Kimber Select
I had one, wish I would have never sold it.
Light, shot exceptionally well.
Best handling rifle.
Second choice. Remington CDL
Canadian Tire in Rocky has one of these on sale in Rocky Mnt House
Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM

According to the Remington web site, the 700 CDL in 25-06 has a 24" barrel. The BDL has a 22" barrel in 270, 30-06, etc. but is not offered in 25-06.
Weatherby Vanguard is offered in 25-06 with a 24" barrel, but available models are limited. Only other off the shelf 25-06 I can think of with a 24" barrel is X-Bolt.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I have been desiring to purchase a 25-06 for a while now, but have some fairly strict parameters of what I want and I am having trouble finding 'the' rifle to match what I want. Budget is up to $1500, and I am OK with doing some customization but would prefer if it is mostly off-the-shelf. Looking for some suggestions of a brand/model that would best match the following:

-high grade walnut stock and cannot be glossy finish
-blued barrel with a polished metal finish
-floor-plate preferable, but wouldn't disqualify if had box mag
-barrel length must be at least 24"
-prefer a look with a black forend tip and a black grip cap
-preferably off-the-shelf accurate (sub moa if possible), without a lot of extra fidgeting
-needs to be somewhat light, balanced mostly (my goalposts are weatherby vanguard: too heavy, savage 111 lightweight: too light) 6 3/4 - 7lbs would be about optimal, I figure. I think my vanguard is about 7 1/2 lbs and it is just a bit clunky.

On top of my dilemma of what rifle to select, my other two bolts are a .243 and a .270, two calibres I feel attached to, but I feel the 25-06 will do the job of both and that I will have too many of the same tool. I feel like I should spread the calibers a bit farther, but I am unsure what I'd like to do - so taking suggestions on this as well. The 25-06 will become my main hunting rifle and one that I intend to keep for life. I feel fortunate to be able to own 3 bolt guns, but I also don't really like clutter and duplication, so not sure what to do.
If you give Bashaw Sports a call 780-372-4440 they might have something for you.