Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Firearms Regulations/ Act 2016

I must not have the right search motor on my lap top or smartphone.

Is there anyone here that has info on the Firearm Regulations or Act that could post the Web sight so we/I can get up to date on storage, transport, use, as well as target shooting info into what's allowed for shooting ranges.

Time has come to update my in the know from years gone by.

Canada or would I be looking for the Alberta regulations,,, I think it would be standard across Canada.

Not the hunting info as it is a different read.

Thanks from Don
Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM

The Act itself:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a.../fulltext.html

With table of contents of a number of the regulations:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...ns/sor-98-209/
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks gps547
Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Sorry too be trouble sum, where would I now find info on Crown land target range / shooting rules on Crown lands.

Yes to having wide area of view and back drop to prevent issues for public safety too all. Been long range plingking for many years, so I'm guessing it's the same old same.

Just want to make sure we're up to speed in that category to.

Pal Don

PS: looked at 5.5, 5.6 and 3(1), 4(1), 5&6 as it applies too setting up gun range for commercial use, I'm guessing this does not apply to crown land target practic.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 09-12-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Been long range plingking on an Island lately, but pal wants to bring the metal silhouette this round, so back to the old Crown Land range from Long ago.

We set up on one side of the mountain range and fire across the deep raven below, works good as its clear viewing on the path of trajectory and good viewing on both sides.

This allows us too start off at 200 meters as we move the sights too each Pre set up target.

4"X4" disks up close, Turkeys, and Javalin at 300, black bears at 400, Rams at 500,,, trick is to tip them over, this is where the 180gr's shine.

We tried the 243 and 25-06 last year and they barely left scuff marks in the rust, 300 Win and Wheatherby did good, same for the 338 and 375.

Not too many rounds from them as we're not young folk these days. Ha

Next year's plan is too join in on the Drumheller silhouette shoot, black powder things is super fun.

Glad to be back at the thrill of years gone by

Pal Don
Old 09-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Sorry too be trouble sum, where would I now find info on Crown land target range / shooting rules on Crown lands.

Yes to having wide area of view and back drop to prevent issues for public safety too all. Been long range plingking for many years, so I'm guessing it's the same old same.

Just want to make sure we're up to speed in that category to.

Pal Don

PS: looked at 5.5, 5.6 and 3(1), 4(1), 5&6 as it applies too setting up gun range for commercial use, I'm guessing this does not apply to crown land target practic.
You are going to have to check with the county as to whether target shooting is regulated in that county.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM

Will do as I know one of the MD counselers out there, lots of folks sight in out there so I thought I'd get up to speed on the Firearm Act of Canada.

The MD folks will be ok since there's no dwelling out there for 100 kms in any direction. "Eastern Slopes off the beaten path too.

Takes us about an hour by OHV with gear to get back there...

Pal Don