Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Browning Maxus - trigger issue

Anybody here shoot a Browning Maxus Autoloader? Ever encounter a trigger problem?

Mine has developed some sort of trigger freeze problem - when it happens, its SOLID. As if the safety is on but it wasn't...at this point it seems almost random, I'm not trapping the trigger as it has happened on the first shot. I've confirmed the safety is off cycled it a couple times to make sure and it stayed "frozen".

However if I cycle all the shells out of the gun and reload it seemed ok for a few rounds then came back. It happened 2-3 times on a goose hunt yesterday. I was not impressed in the least...birds locked on and landing gear down...flip the doors open on the layout blind and nothing! Not even a "click"!!

I was shooting Remington Hypersonic shells, so they have the power to cycle the shells fine, The gun is clean, but i'm going to drop out the trigger group and give it a once over to make sure theres not a piece of crap stuck in there someplace.

Some Google searching tells me its fairly common with the Maxus, but I've haven't found out yet what the fix is. Until now I've really liked the gun, but when it doesn't go bang when I want it to, it looses my admiration real quick.

Planning to call Browning on Monday and see what they have to say.

Last edited by Newf; 09-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Banned

I have had a Maxus for about 3 years now with no problems
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 PM

I stripped it down this evening removed the trigger assembly, cleaned everything Wasn't bad to begin with. Nothing looks broken, all the springs are intact, appears functioning properly. Basically now it's like new again. Going for a duck hunt in the morning...will give it a test.

Last edited by Newf; 09-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I stripped it down this evening removed the trigger assembly, cleaned everything Wasn't bad to begin with. But now it's like new again. Going for a duck hunt in the morning...will give it a test.
if you have it happen again take the gun apart without cycling the action and remove the trigger group. you may be able to determine what is/is not moving when it freezes up. have you tried different shells? i have seen zero proof so take this with a grain of salt but have heard rumors that hypersonic can be bad for a semi.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 AM

Make sure action is fully locked up (closed) if it is not the disconnect will come in to play and not allow gun to fire. . It is a safety mechanism that will not allow the gun to fire until the action is fully locked up
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM

The first run of Maxus (2009) have this issue and perhaps others. Browning will (or would have) replaced the trigger group. If you call the repair smith for Browning Canada they will give details from your serial number.

The exact issue is a light or short trigger return spring. I have had one fail to fire and once where my Maxus would not cycle light loads. I am not concerned about the light loads as this is my duck gun and it was over lubricated when I disassembled for cleaning after that outing. I have been unable to duplicate the fail to fire.