Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Question Grandpa's Ole Fly Rod

I have an old rod that used to belong to my grandfather. It was passed onto me a long while back when he passed.

I was thinking I would like to use it but I am not sure the weight of the rod, all the writing has been worn off.

I was wondering if I just hook up my spare reel and do some practice casts in a field what could I be looking for to know if the line was too light / too heavy etc.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 PM

without a lot of force on the backswing or front stroke you could feel/watch for the loading (bending) of the rod. That will probably help you narrow it down.
You shouldn't have to force the stroke to load the rod, nor should it over load (heavy line)
Hope this helps and others will have other/better ideas.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Post a picture of the rod.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-26-2016, 10:03 AM

What's it made out of? Obviously not graphite. Fiberglass? Older than that?
I'm guessing modern line weights won't help as the lines the rod was designed for are much older. I guess just trial and error, see which one casts best, as was suggested above.

Or you may just want to put it up on the wall of the man-cave with an appropriate mounting of "grandpa's fly rod".
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Regularly fish a few of my Great Grandpa's, Grandpas and Dads rods, they work well with modern lines as long as you pick the right one and the right weight. Just depends if it was a decent quality fly rod in the first place.

Fishing Regulations
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Post a pic of the rod!
Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM

Go to a fly shop with it as they will have reels lined etc for when a guy demos a rod in the parking lot. Plus they would help you just to sell you the line.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 PM

From what I can kind of see, and comparing Internet photos the best I can find out is that's it's a Daiwa Regal but I have no idea the weight.

I would guess middle of the road because of the diameter and lack of fighting but.

Very slow action compared to my newer rod.

I know there are new lines designed for older / slow action rods but I am not sure what weight to even try.

I am going to put my reel on there and try it out I am just asking the "tell tale" signs that the rod is over / under weighted.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 PM

I would start with a 6 wt.

Fishing Regulations
Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 PM

Smile

It is a fiberglass rod. Yes probably an old Diawa. A 6 wt is a good start. Don't expect this rod to cast anything like a newer graphite rod. The cast will be slow and the rod will take some getting used to.

Your question about how you will know when you have a heavy enough line or not is a valid one. A light line will not allow the rod to sufficiently bend. The bend in the rod equals stored potential energy. Therefore when you cast you will know pretty quick if you have too light of a line. It just won't cast very far at all. If you have too heavy of a line it will also end up with the same problem only because of the opposite reason. If you have too heavy of line you will put too much of a bend in the rod and it won't have the energy to bring the rod back and your potential energy being too much to overcome will not enable you to recover and cast.

The long and short is try a few lines. Lighter ones will cast like crap. The same goes for heavier lines. You will find a sweet spot. Again my best guess would be somewhere between a 6 to an 8 wt line will suit it just fine.

Good luck with that and happy casting.
Gramps would be proud.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 AM

Smile Not that old

Kingfisher is right. It is not that old and made of fiber glass. It has a slow action and was used at one time with a DT silk line, at least mine was. It will (did) work best with the new floating very slippery lines.

Xs 2 on that KingFish says.