Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2016, 01:50 PM

Default Fly fishing WMU 353

Hi all,

I'm heading up to WMU 353 (little bit east of Grande Cache, between the Forestry Trunk and the Little Smokey) for a moose hunting trip late Sept. I'll be carrying elk, whitetail, and black bear tags. A buddy has the moose draw.

Thinking about taking my fly rod with to fish some of the streams in the area, but really have no idea what streams in the area are fishable while wading and would have good fish populations. I realize everything is catch and release (which I do for all trout anyway), but I'm hoping to finally catch a bull trout if I can. Anyone have some suggestions for the area? Don't need specific hotspots. Just an idea which waters are fishable with waders and have bulls in them. PM me if you would prefer. Thanks.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-19-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Hi all,

I'm heading up to WMU 353 (little bit east of Grande Cache, between the Forestry Trunk and the Little Smokey) for a moose hunting trip late Sept. I'll be carrying elk, whitetail, and black bear tags. A buddy has the moose draw.

Thinking about taking my fly rod with to fish some of the streams in the area, but really have no idea what streams in the area are fishable while wading and would have good fish populations. I realize everything is catch and release (which I do for all trout anyway), but I'm hoping to finally catch a bull trout if I can. Anyone have some suggestions for the area? Don't need specific hotspots. Just an idea which waters are fishable with waders and have bulls in them. PM me if you would prefer. Thanks.

SS
Your in bull trout country!

Close by you have the Muskeg R., Sheep Cr. and Kakwa. I've only fished the Muskeg and it has some good pulls near the falls. Lots of good pools throughout as well and all different sizes of bulls. Sheep probably has the biggest bang for your buck, I'm told.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Thanks Snap. Are you able to wade the Muskeg or is it deep and fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Just as an FYI, Bullies will be starting to stage for their spawn at that time!!!

Some aware of the obvious issues related to that!!

-Confucius
Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Just as an FYI, Bullies will be starting to stage for their spawn at that time!!!

Some aware of the obvious issues related to that!!

Nevermind staging, in that area most of them are active or even done spawning at that time. Avoid gravel areas.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the responses all. Having never fished for bull trout before, I understand that streamers are the fly of choice. I have a few egg sucking leech, woolly bugger, zonkers, etc. Any others I should add?

Also understand that they tend to be in the deeper pools. Does that change if they are staging for spawning? I would assume that they would be spawning on shallower gravel beds. Since they are an endangered species I do not want to jeopardize any spawning success or negatively impact the fish.

Any info would be great!

SS

Last edited by SamSteele; 08-24-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Default Bigger the better

I found that the bigger the fly the better and if they are interested in feeding it doesn't really matter what you use or how deep you are but when they are not feeding or a highly pressured they can be really hard to catch they can definitely be fussy trout some days, this areA is high on my list for places to fish hey if you wouldn't mind could you let us know how you make out thx no specifics? When I say big fly I mean pike size 8 inches long worked deadly gl!